Rudi Johnson - Possible Dolphin?

stuckincincy

Per Cincinnati Enquirer, 12/26/04 - Mark Curnutte

"...The burning question is whether Bengals management and agent Peter Schaffer can agree on a dollar figure for unrestricted free agent tailback Rudi Johnson.

Johnson, who enters the game today needing just 112 yards for a franchise single-season rushing record, might be playing his last home game as a Bengal.

Increasingly, signs suggest the Bengals are prepared to let Johnson leave rather than pay what's believed to be an asking price of $17 million over three years. Johnson's value has increased as he has approached 1,500 yards. Don't think LSU coach Nick Saban, who accepted the Miami Dolphins job, wouldn't like a heavy-duty back like Johnson."

and

"...The Bengals are built to move on at tailback, Lewis said last week. He said he and the organization are confident that rookie Chris Perry can be the featured back, and they wouldn't have drafted him otherwise.

Adding to the club's apparent willingness to let Johnson go is the acquisition of rookie Quincy Wilson from Atlanta's practice squad. The Bengals are believed to have had Wilson - the son of former Bears linebacker Otis Wilson - rated as the third running back in the draft on their board."

That's a lot of coin.  As for Perry, bust.  And sure Wilson was the 3rd RB.  That's why they didn't spend even their 7th round pick (just before Wilson was taken) on him.

178245[/snapback]

Why is Perry a bust? He missed most of the season with a sports hernia. I think he has 2 carries and 1 catch.

Why is Perry a bust?  He missed most of the season with a sports hernia. I think he has 2 carries and 1 catch.

Michigan runners have a bad history in the NFL, and add a sports hernia shelving him for the year...

Maybe calling him a "bust" is premature (wait another year :blush: ), but thinking they can rely on this guy is fanciful at this time. Dumping Johnson could be a VERY bad move.

Michigan runners have a bad history in the NFL, and add a sports hernia shelving him for the year...

Maybe calling him a "bust" is premature (wait another year  :blush: ), but thinking they can rely on this guy is fanciful at this time.  Dumping Johnson could be a VERY bad move.

178277[/snapback]

Like you say, lots of coin. I'd never heard of Wilson, myself. Perry was certainly a surprise pick (they traded down).

B'gals O-line is pretty good, so I think they feel that a star rb isn't needed. If Johnson goes, I'd expect they would get a 4th round comp pick. And last year they peddled Dillon for a 2nd rounder.

Rudi's a very average running back who isn't explosive nor does he help in the passing game much.  I'd be happy if Miami signed him.

It's that old saying of Marv's "a player who leaves hurts his old team more than he helps his new team." I agree that he probably won't be as good with Miami, but he won't be replaced easily.