ot Christmas blues

Mile High

Hey guys and gals,

I have a car question for those of you who know what you're talking about. I started my truck (98 F150 4.2l) last nite and noticed a loud knocking sound. There is approx. 112,000 miles on it right now. I drove it and the more I accelerated the faster the tick or knock got. Later that day i added a quart of oil and the knock died down a little but still didn't stop it all together. I'm NOT driving it now and will probably wait until I can get it into the garage on monday or so. Any clue as to what this could be? :blush: If I could get some kind of opinions as to what this could be I would be grateful.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Hey guys and gals,

I have a car question for those of you who know what you're talking about.  I started my truck (98 F150 4.2l) last nite and noticed a loud knocking sound.  There is approx. 112,000 miles on it right now.  I drove it and the more I accelerated the faster the tick or knock got.  Later that day i added a quart of oil and the knock died down a little but still didn't stop it all together.  I'm NOT driving it now and will probably wait until I can get it into the garage on monday or so.  Any clue as to what this could be?   :blush:  If I could get some kind of opinions as to what this could be I would be grateful. 

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

177990[/snapback]

There are a variety of things it can be the worst of which is a rod knocking. If that's the case: OUCH. That means an engine rebuild.

It happens when you have insufficient oil or too much sludge in the engine. The bottom of the engine doesn't get the lubrication or dispersal of heat required and that causes the rod bearing to go bad.

I would hold off driving it as long as possible, though I've seen people go a couple of months with a pretty angry knock.

One of my friends once had a problem that sounded EXACTLY like a rod knocking. It turned out that the crank pulley was loose and was smacking against the pully pin. Not likely but it has happened.

112K miles! Dude, that's awesome!

That's a good amount of milage for a truck, so chances are it could be something pretty bad. You may have to cut your losses and get a new truck. Count your blessings that the thing lasted as long as it did, because that's awesome.