Mike Leach hired as HC

The Senator

Two points:

I'm not "ripping" Leach (or Meyer)--I'm pointing out that Senator's claim that he develops QBs is wrong. They are one trick ponies being "taught" a system that has no relevance in their (presumed) chosen career--the NFL. They may get a lot of regional glory (and a lot of 'tang) for leading the NCAA in passing, but it can be more easily argued that this "teaching" may have stunted the development of Leach's top Qbs at TT.

Tebow and Smith were first round draft picks. Both had enough skill to get the attention of NFL teams and both are paying off-Tebow sooner than expected and Smith after he finally was provided with competent coaching. COnversely, Leach's greatest creation, Graham Harrel, despite all his gaudy passing numbers during his career at TT, was quickly recognized by teams around the league as a kid with no useful skills for career as an NFL QB. He went undrafted.

It's safe to say that no NFL personnel manager at any level has ever said these words: "the kid was coached and developed by Mike Leach--let's put him up there on our board".

You just can't past the idea that it's NFL or bust, can you? Developing a QB to be a winner at the college level is also an accomplishment whether you agree or not. If it weren't, and if it were such a mundane act, then every coach would have a prolific QB. Life and college football aren't as black and white as you'd like everyone to believe.

Again, I go back to the Coach K example, which you have conveniently ignored.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images