Random Thoughts on Coaching Decsions

plenzmd1

Little things drive me nuts when it comes to game day coaching and the decisions coaches make. Last night, Jets have like a 4th and 2 from the 5, first drive of the 2nd half..and they send the kicker out late. Ryan freaks as the play clock is getting down towards zero, and calls a timeout?? What??? They were not reconsidering whether to go for it or not, they just did not want the 5 yd delay of game penalty.So you burn a timeout to have a 22 yd field goal instaed of a 27yd field goal...and Nessler and Mayock were praising him for recognizing the situation and getting the timeout called?

Not saying it would have changed the outcome on the last drive, but sure would have helped the Jets if they had the extra timeout no???? And not a word from anyone on what a idiot move it was.

Like Gailey last week, down 28-7, 4th and 1 from the Bills 30 or so, 5 minutes to go in the 3rd qtr. As TMQ would say"boom goes the punt" and game over went thru my head. Bills made not 1 play from there on..the game was over.Not one word on that call as now it was shifted to the players. Only good thing was I bet the guy I was with Bills would not score again, the players would quit as Gailey had quit..and got wine at dinner paid for :thumbsup:

Easterbrook has it 100% right, coaches make decisions so that blame falls on the players..I mean Belicheck and Smith still taking grief for great ,ballsy calls that just because they did not work are deemed the wrong calls. I think they the 100% right calls..

Little things drive me nuts when it comes to game day coaching and the decisions coaches make. Last night, Jets have like a 4th and 2 from the 5, first drive of the 2nd half..and they send the kicker out late. Ryan freaks as the play clock is getting down towards zero, and calls a timeout?? What??? They were not reconsidering whether to go for it or not, they just did not want the 5 yd delay of game penalty.So you burn a timeout to have a 22 yd field goal instaed of a 27yd field goal...and Nessler and Mayock were praising him for recognizing the situation and getting the timeout called?

Not saying it would have changed the outcome on the last drive, but sure would have helped the Jets if they had the extra timeout no???? And not a word from anyone on what a idiot move it was.

Like Gailey last week, down 28-7, 4th and 1 from the Bills 30 or so, 5 minutes to go in the 3rd qtr. As TMQ would say"boom goes the punt" and game over went thru my head. Bills made not 1 play from there on..the game was over.Not one word on that call as now it was shifted to the players. Only good thing was I bet the guy I was with Bills would not score again, the players would quit as Gailey had quit..and got wine at dinner paid for :thumbsup:

Easterbrook has it 100% right, coaches make decisions so that blame falls on the players..I mean Belicheck and Smith still taking grief for great ,ballsy calls that just because they did not work are deemed the wrong calls. I think they the 100% right calls..

That Jets timeout occurred in the first half, not the second half.