Thoughts about the Bills season so far

jahnyc

1. Even with the recent poor performances of the offense, the o-line has performed much better than I expected this year. Fitz helps with getting the ball out quickly, but there have been great running lanes for Fred in many of the games this year. Woods is a big loss, I hope he is back and as effective for next season. The front office also deserves some credit for picking up Urbik and Rhinehart as free agents after they were released from the active rosters of their respective teams. I still think we need to draft a quality tackle in next year's draft.

2. I think the fans/posters are right much of the time. Many were upset when the Bills cut Hangartner, arguing that he would be important for depth. No one could have foreseen the injuries at wide receiver, but the Bills are lacking a deep threat, which is a role that Evans has excelled at. One thing that I got wrong was the o-line (see point one).

3. The coaches deserve a lot of credit for developing Nelson, Johnson and Chandler, but Jones does not seem to be a legitimate number 2. The front office also made a great move signing Chandler off of the Cowboys practice squad. Still wondering about Easely and whether his condition will allow him to play again.

4. Early to be making this judgment, but I am not seeing much of an improvement in our drafting under Buddy.

5. Batten and Moats do not appear ready or maybe are not good enough to be starters at OLB in the NFL. This and defensive end appear to be our biggest needs. I don't think that Carrington, Johnson or Edwards are the answer at DE. It is really hurting us this year that Maybin turned out to be a bust. I also think we have underestimated the impact of Kelsay on this defense. The defense has played much better when he is healthy and playing.

6. No idea what is going on with our corner backs. It would be very frustrating if we need to use a high pick in next year's draft for another corner. It hurts us significantly that McKelvin has not developed into a quality starter.

7. I think Wilson has had a very good season, but I also believe that Byrd has developed into a very strong all around starter.

8. I am surprised that our offense has faltered recently, particularly since both games were played in ideal football weather conditions, but clearly the defenses are catching up. I was wondering how effective the spread would be in cold, messy weather. I guess we will find out soon enough.

9. Overall, I think Gailey has done a very good job (with the offense, in particular). Drafting and defense need to get better.