The Journey of a Bills Fan

Sniper

This is posted for one of our writers who put a lot of thought into being a bills fan:

I figured this would be a good time to post this, with it being a bye week and all. I got to thinking about why I became a Bills fan, and about why we care so much as fans. So I wrote an article about my story as a Bills fan. This is probably my favorite thing I've ever written, so any comments/reads would be very appreciated. Feel free to tell your story as well, I think we'd all like to hear each other's stories as Bills fans.

The Journey Of A Bills Fan

Now after reading that... How did you become a Bills fan? Or what is your journey?

A very enjoyable read. Thanks for posting. You are a good writer. I can almost always find spelling or grammatical errors, but you passed that test! I'm a teacher, so I can give you the A, for content as well as mechanics!!

Three points I'd debate with you:

1. You did have a choice on whether to become a Bills fan (free will).

2. Bob Matthews sucks.

3. Chix only suck sometimes. :ph34r:

A very enjoyable read. Thanks for posting. You are a good writer. I can almost always find spelling or grammatical errors, but you passed that test! I'm a teacher, so I can give you the A, for content as well as mechanics!!

Three points I'd debate with you:

1. You did have a choice on whether to become a Bills fan (free will).

2. Bob Matthews sucks.

3. Chix only suck sometimes. :ph34r:

Thanks for the kind words. We have some very skilled writers writing for us.

1 - Maybe, but is this always the truth? I'm not sure I had much of a choice myself. Just kind of like my religion...

2 - Haha yes true

3 - Also true, unless you can get them to suck more than normal...

Thanks for posting. This was me when I was a kid, too!:

I would tear through the newspaper every morning until I got to Section D, hoping that Bob Matthews or Sal Maiorana would write anything about the Bills that I could read.

I also emailed him once, part of a Boy Scout merit badge requirement or something, haha.

nice read...Guess most of us were born into it. I was present at the creation as it were. My dad took me downtown in 1960 or 61 to see the parade of the first team to play, and I caught a little plastic football that some lineman threw to me. I went to my first game in the rockpile in 1965, and snuck in with my brother and friends on a number of occassions, being rather beaten by a Buffalo cop as I scaled a wall during a Buffalo/Houston game where a guy named Hagood Clark intercepted a foolishly thrown George Blanda pass. Saw Cookie Gilchrist, Elbert Dubenion, Wray Carlton, Kemp and LaMonica, Gogoak, Shaw, Warlick and all on offense, and Day, Sestak, McDole and Dunaway backed up by Tracy, Jacobs and Stratton, with Saimes, Byrd and Edgerson, and Charlie-Pork Chop-Warner- I had his number "22" my senior year of high school...had Cookie's 34 in my sophomore year- Cgeered the Bills while in Vietnam during a horrid year where they beat only the JETS or at least so I remember. The catch phrase in the squadron when we talked football was a loud "Dan Darragh!!!???"

Went through the great Joe Ferguson and OJ years and thought it would never get better than that, but then came the great Kelly/Smith/Thomas/Reed years. Things really were wonderful.

Anyway...I wasn't born into the Bills family, the Bills were born into mine!

Great article. Once you become a fan of a team, they are kind of like part of your family. I have been a fan since that first season. My sister was going to Buff State and came home for the weekend with a poster of that first team photo. I watched every game, every year until I joined the Army in '77. Then, I caught them when I could, but followed religiously. As soon as DirecTV came along, I bought it so that I could get NFL Sunday ticket and watch the Bills again. I have watched every game since then. I still celebrate every win and lament every loss. They're far from perfect, but they're ours. Go Bills!

This is posted for one of our writers who put a lot of thought into being a bills fan:

The Journey Of A Bills Fan

Now after reading that... How did you become a Bills fan? Or what is your journey?

Great read. Very 'real' and many of us feel the same. Here's my favorite quote from your story and I bolded it for emphasis: "My parents went to their first Bills game together in 1994. It was a midseason game against the Chiefs, and I remember this vividly because I was pissed as hell that I couldn’t go."

Great read. Very 'real' and many of us feel the same. Here's my favorite quote from your story and I bolded it for emphasis: "My parents went to their first Bills game together in 1994. It was a midseason game against the Chiefs, and I remember this vividly because I was pissed as hell that I couldn’t go."

Yeah, we have all experienced a game "we wish" we could go to.

Oh to be young again.

Edited by Sniper

Great article. Once you become a fan of a team, they are kind of like part of your family. I have been a fan since that first season. My sister was going to Buff State and came home for the weekend with a poster of that first team photo. I watched every game, every year until I joined the Army in '77. Then, I caught them when I could, but followed religiously. As soon as DirecTV came along, I bought it so that I could get NFL Sunday ticket and watch the Bills again. I have watched every game since then. I still celebrate every win and lament every loss. They're far from perfect, but they're ours. Go Bills!

Awesome. Great story!! Its so cool to hear everyones unique tale.