Pass-Rush...

The weakest link on this football team is clearly the lack of a pass-rush. I've been reading many threads on many message boards talking about how bad our Defensive Backs are. Really?! Our secondary leads the league in interceptions. Any time any teams secondary leads the NFL in INTs, news flash: There not bad! What is killing this team, and has for several years, is the lack of a pass-rush. In fact, Buffalo hasn't even addressed this issue in several years. Now, I know what your going to say: "Well, they drafted Dareus and Kyle Williams is pretty good". DTs are there to stop the run. Oh, and by the way, the Bills are once again near the bottom of the league again in that particular catagory. I'm talking about defensive ends. Guys like Bruce Smith (remember him?), guys like DeMarcus Ware, Dwight Freeney, and Ndamukong Suh.

I'm talking about guys who other teams need to utterly change the way they play their game because they need to gameplan around one guy. Is there one guy that teams do that to as it pertains to the Bills defense? Take a look at the Eagles game last week. We very rarely rushed Vick with just 3-4 pass rushers. There were alot of creative blitzes that Edwards threw at the Eagles offense that led to Vick throwing at least 2 of the 4 INTs. When did the Eagles start coming back? After Edwards called off the dogs and went to alot of 5-6 DBs and zone coverages, leading Vick to pick apart the secondary. Sunday vs. the Giants, I MAYBE saw the Bills blitz 5 times the entire game, against a QB that is quite erratic at times in Eli Manning.

I just pray that during the bye week, the Bills coaching staff finds a way to generate a consistent pass rush by creating some zone-blitz schemes and/or acquiring or trading for a decent pass-rusher. Otherwise, 8-8 may be the best we do this season.

The weakest link on this football team is clearly the lack of a pass-rush. I've been reading many threads on many message boards talking about how bad our Defensive Backs are. Really?! Our secondary leads the league in interceptions. Any time any teams secondary leads the NFL in INTs, news flash: There not bad! What is killing this team, and has for several years, is the lack of a pass-rush. In fact, Buffalo hasn't even addressed this issue in several years. Now, I know what your going to say: "Well, they drafted Dareus and Kyle Williams is pretty good". DTs are there to stop the run. Oh, and by the way, the Bills are once again near the bottom of the league again in that particular catagory. I'm talking about defensive ends. Guys like Bruce Smith (remember him?), guys like DeMarcus Ware, Dwight Freeney, and Ndamukong Suh.

I'm talking about guys who other teams need to utterly change the way they play their game because they need to gameplan around one guy. Is there one guy that teams do that to as it pertains to the Bills defense? Take a look at the Eagles game last week. We very rarely rushed Vick with just 3-4 pass rushers. There were alot of creative blitzes that Edwards threw at the Eagles offense that led to Vick throwing at least 2 of the 4 INTs. When did the Eagles start coming back? After Edwards called off the dogs and went to alot of 5-6 DBs and zone coverages, leading Vick to pick apart the secondary. Sunday vs. the Giants, I MAYBE saw the Bills blitz 5 times the entire game, against a QB that is quite erratic at times in Eli Manning.

I just pray that during the bye week, the Bills coaching staff finds a way to generate a consistent pass rush by creating some zone-blitz schemes and/or acquiring or trading for a decent pass-rusher. Otherwise, 8-8 may be the best we do this season.

I couldnt agree more. Very well written post :thumbsup: thanks. Throw in a big time pass rusher and i think you see the defense DRASTICALLY change!!

I actually think our Sateies are great but our CBs are pretty bad. They take PI penalties every time the WR runs a fade route. Anyone notice how the Giants CBs were able to turn back, find the ball, and not only intercept it but not get called for Pass Interference? Thats what our CBs need to do.

I wouldn't say that they haven't tried to improve the rush. They drafted Maybin (an obvious reach, trying to find a pass rush), and they signed Merriman. Could they have done more? I guess, but they also sucked against the run last year, so they really needed to draft Dareus.

The Bills have jumped from 3rd from the bottom, to a top ten team. They can't fix EVERYTHING in one off-season.

I'm sure this off-season a pass rusher will be priority one. Now that they have a bit of momentum, and aren't considered a joke by the rest of the NFL, they might be able to sign a decent free agent pass rusher (if they can't find one in the draft).

So many people are pointing out the faults of this team like they have some special insight. The coaches KNOW. The fans KNOW.

All these proclamations that "they can't keep doing this" or "they will never get anywhere if they". What, they won't win the Super Bowl? How about they win 10 games and lose the first playoff game, that's not enough improvement? That a "bad" season?