Who remebers Poz and Donte?

It seems to me the defense this year is largely the same as last year, with the exception of big plays. They allow a ton of yards and can't pressure the quarterback (although I bet Merriman would do better if not blatantly held most plays). However, the journeyman brought in to replace the high round draft picks are making a difference rather than tackling the ball carrier 9 yards down the field.

Take at look at the stat comparison through the first 5 games of 2011:

Paul Posluszny (Jaguars) - 39 tackles, 1 sack, 5 passes defended

Nick Barnett - 42 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 2 INT ( 1 TD), 3 passes defended

Donte Whitner - (49ers)- 15 tackles, 1 INT, 5 passes defended

George Wilson - 47 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 3 INT, 5 passes defended

Looking back, in only five games the combination of Wilson and Barnett have 5 INT and 3 FF, as compared to the 9 INT and 7 FF, that Poz/Whitner created in 9 full seasons playing for the Bills.

It seems to me the defense this year is largely the same as last year, with the exception of big plays. They allow a ton of yards and can't pressure the quarterback (although I bet Merriman would do better if not blatantly held most plays). However, the journeyman brought in to replace the high round draft picks are making a difference rather than tackling the ball carrier 9 yards down the field.

Looking back, in only five games the combination of Wilson and Barnett have 5 INT and 3 FF, as compared to the 9 INT and 7 FF, that Poz/Whitner created in 9 full seasons playing for the Bills.

Odd you didn't list Merriman's stats along with Poz's and Barnetts? Merriman has sucked, I would take Poz any day over him. Barnett has been a beast, but Merriman should be on his way out. Merriman got a sack against the Bengals because he was the closest when the rookie QB ran out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. Only time the announcers said his name yesterday was the beginning of the game when he jumped offsides. Sense you didn't want to do it, I will, here is Merriman's stats after 5 games - 7 Tackles, 2 sacks (see my earlier statement), 0 passes defended. Those numbers make Poz look like Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacher. I am as happy as anyone with how the Bills season is going, but the defense, especially yesterday has been nothing to brag about. 4 straight games giving up over 450 yards, we could without a doubt still use Poz and send Merriman up the river, but that wouldn't happen because Buddy Nix is in love with him. In my opinion there are 2 or 3 backup linebackers on this roster that we would be better off playing instead of Merriman, the "Invisible Millionaire."

Edited by billsfreak

The Senator is rapidly taking on magical, mythical, almost Bruschi-like status...

18 and 1 baby!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosWHOsny ????? :beer:

Edited by The Senator

I wouldn't call Barnett a journeyman. But yes pos and donte have proved to be nothing but average players at best. The best moves we made this off season was moving on and getting rid of them.

Odd you didn't list Merriman's stats along with Poz's and Barnetts? Merriman has sucked, I would take Poz any day over him. Barnett has been a beast, but Merriman should be on his way out. Merriman got a sack against the Bengals because he was the closest when the rookie QB ran out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. Only time the announcers said his name yesterday was the beginning of the game when he jumped offsides. Sense you didn't want to do it, I will, here is Merriman's stats after 5 games - 7 Tackles, 2 sacks (see my earlier statement), 0 passes defended. Those numbers make Poz look like Patrick Willis or Brian Urlacher. I am as happy as anyone with how the Bills season is going, but the defense, especially yesterday has been nothing to brag about. 4 straight games giving up over 450 yards, we could without a doubt still use Poz and send Merriman up the river, but that wouldn't happen because Buddy Nix is in love with him. In my opinion there are 2 or 3 backup linebackers on this roster that we would be better off playing instead of Merriman, the "Invisible Millionaire."

maybe because Poz and Merriman play different positions?

are you saying you would want Poz playing OLB rushing the passer instead of Merriman?

Merriman isnt putting up stats and in my opinion its because he isnt being used right but he still commands attention from the offense

I was disappointed when I heard Poz signed with the Jags mainly bc I didnt think the Bills could afford to lose a starter but then I saw what he signed for and didnt bother me as much

Bills got a bargain with Barnett who seems to be all over the field and better every game

dispised Whitner from day one

Edited by Max997

No question Barnett is a huge upgrade over Poz.

Wilson is playing great ball as well. I think Vick had nightmares about #37 last night.

And for the Merriman haters, he isn't making crazy money this year. He is being held every single play and never getting called. He is doing a decent job, no where near his 'lights Out' days. and He doesnt even play the same position as Poz