Nix is showing us the baby

Scrappy

I'm really liking Nix's winning attitude:

Nix married into a family that already had Freddy, Fitz, Stevie, Wood, Levitre on offense and KW and most of the secondary as well. Dareus was left on his doorstep.

His best contribution so far as players go was signing Barnett. I'll give him credit for not resigning Lil Dont.

But If you allow yourself to be honest just for one second, his first draft is looking awful. No impact players at all and very little potential after Spiller who barely sees the field because Freddy.

His best move is Gailey. Gailey is the one making Buddy look good right now. Buddy gets very little credit IMO, it's all Chan/Fitz.

Nix married into a family that already had Freddy, Fitz, Stevie, Wood, Levitre on offense and KW and most of the secondary as well. Dareus was left on his doorstep.

His best contribution so far as players go was signing Barnett. I'll give him credit for not resigning Lil Dont.

But If you allow yourself to be honest just for one second, his first draft is looking awful. No impact players at all and very little potential after Spiller who barely sees the field because Freddy.

His best move is Gailey. Gailey is the one making Buddy look good right now. Buddy gets very little credit IMO, it's all Chan/Fitz.

With the big offensive production and comeback games, the Chan and Fitz take is a good one. Fitz seems at home in this offense and is really slinging it around. One could also throw in that the Nix rebuilt defense has given up 66 points the last two weeks.

With the big offensive production and comeback games, the Chan and Fitz take is a good one. Fitz seems at home in this offense and is really slinging it around. One could also throw in that the Nix rebuilt defense has given up 66 points the last two weeks.

Nix put himself in a tough spot trying to make this team a 3-4 D when they had no personnel that fit. Kelsay is not and will never be an OLB, KW is not a true NT, Maybin could not be counted on, Poz isn't a thumper at MLB, etc. By going back to mostly a 4-3 o/u defense everything fits much better. I think the defense has played better than they've looked at times. The Raiders and Pats are serious offenses and the Bills have had a very vanilla blitz package so far. They are trusting their coverage and their open field tackling so far and it's worked (mostly in the 2nd half).

The thing that no one mentions is by Gailey going to the spread 90% of the time, he's completely neutralized the 3-4 defense. He's getting OLBs on his slot WRs and making the bigger slower 34 D Lineman stay on the field longer. By the time the defense adjusts to nickel, they start running the ball. Obviously the results have been huge gains.

That is the genius of Gailey NOT Buddy Nix.

I think this year's draft will turn out to be a good one. I guess we'll see. I love Nix's commitment to his guys and Gailey is turning out to be the foremost offensive mastermind of the 21st century, HOWEVER, I will never, ever forgive Nix for taxing Troupp over Gronkowski. It was as blatantly obvious a pick to make as I've ever seen in my life and he had to go the cute route and take a guy who would've been there in the 3rd.

The effectiveness of Nix's drafting was brought up in this Tuesday's Sal/Leo articlein the D&C and got me thinking. While it is quite apparent that Nix and Gailey have succeeded in improving the performance of this team, it is also the case that the primary engine for this improvement thus far has not been the draft. Nix is on record stating that the Bills intend to build through the draft, as well they should. However, Nix's drafts have produced but one starter to date - Dareus. The question is whether or not this indicates a lack of drafting competence on the part of Nix, despite his demonstrated skill in finding gems in UDFA and the waiver wire.

Lets give credit where it is due. Our first two drafts havent been very impressive to date (I repeat, to date). Considering our recent talent level and high draft picks I would expect more than one starter.

I give credit to Chan Gailey. The FO has done well adding some of the players, Gailey and his offensive system has gotten them producing A former 'journeyman' QB playing like an elite QB, Chan has gotten more out of FJ than anyone else ever did, and he is using '2nd rate' players like Nelson, Jones, Roosevelt, Chandler to produce better than 'top tier' guys like Evans could.

We aren't a better team because of our steller draft picks (at least not yet)

I think this year's draft will turn out to be a good one. I guess we'll see. I love Nix's commitment to his guys and Gailey is turning out to be the foremost offensive mastermind of the 21st century, HOWEVER, I will never, ever forgive Nix for taxing Troupp over Gronkowski. It was as blatantly obvious a pick to make as I've ever seen in my life and he had to go the cute route and take a guy who would've been there in the 3rd.

I wanted him too, and it was that much worse when NE took him with the very next pick. No way was it a more obvious pick than Orakpo though.