Some thoughts re our start to the season

jahnyc

Some thoughts below:

1. The first two games were great because we won, but they also were extremely fun to watch. Our offense has been dreadful for years, and to have an effective offense after all these years is a joy. Chan deserves tremendous credit for this (so far).

2. Not sure what all of you have experienced over the years, but I generally have found that there are few fans of other teams that really hate the Bills. In fact, some have been fairly sympathetic about the play of the Bills over the last number of years. Some of my friends who are fans of other teams have been very complimentary of the Bills this year (and they actually seem to mean it).

3. I know it is early, but I can't help but think that a successful season would be a positive for keeping the Bills in Buffalo. I have been worried that attendance would finally collapse if the Bills continued to play poorly. I think that a good and popular Bills team will be tougher team to move from Buffalo than a team that is suffering declining attendance and overall popularity. A successful season also would be helpful for the Toronto arrangement, and the possibility of extending the agreement, which is an important source of funds for the Bills now.

4. I have enjoyed the increased coverage of the Bills in the media. It feels like the Bills are relevant again.

5. Our improved play is even more impressive given the lack of contribution from our first four picks in the 2010 draft. Spiller made some plays last Sunday, but he needs to continue to step it up.

6. Not to state the obvious, but we need an improved pass rush if the team is going to be successful this year. We need Merriman to get some pressure.

7. I have been impressed with the play of Byrd. His tackling has been strong.

8. I think the Dolphins and the Jets are beatable. I am not convinced that Sanchez is a strong QB and I think the Jets o-line is weaker than in prior years. In addition, the running backs for the Jets have been ineffective.

9. Dareus will be a great player for the Bills for years.

Some thoughts below:

1. The first two games were great because we won, but they also were extremely fun to watch. Our offense has been dreadful for years, and to have an effective offense after all these years is a joy. Chan deserves tremendous credit for this (so far).

2. Not sure what all of you have experienced over the years, but I generally have found that there are few fans of other teams that really hate the Bills. In fact, some have been fairly sympathetic about the play of the Bills over the last number of years. Some of my friends who are fans of other teams have been very complimentary of the Bills this year (and they actually seem to mean it).

3. I know it is early, but I can't help but think that a successful season would be a positive for keeping the Bills in Buffalo. I have been worried that attendance would finally collapse if the Bills continued to play poorly. I think that a good and popular Bills team will be tougher team to move from Buffalo than a team that is suffering declining attendance and overall popularity. A successful season also would be helpful for the Toronto arrangement, and the possibility of extending the agreement, which is an important source of funds for the Bills now.

4. I have enjoyed the increased coverage of the Bills in the media. It feels like the Bills are relevant again.

5. Our improved play is even more impressive given the lack of contribution from our first four picks in the 2010 draft. Spiller made some plays last Sunday, but he needs to continue to step it up.

6. Not to state the obvious, but we need an improved pass rush if the team is going to be successful this year. We need Merriman to get some pressure.

7. I have been impressed with the play of Byrd. His tackling has been strong.

8. I think the Dolphins and the Jets are beatable. I am not convinced that Sanchez is a strong QB and I think the Jets o-line is weaker than in prior years. In addition, the running backs for the Jets have been ineffective.

9. Dareus will be a great player for the Bills for years.

Excellent. IMO, every one of your points was spot on.

On point 2, living in the Bay Area and meeting people from all over, people are sympathetic and "fond" of the Bills. There might not be a lot of respect but I have not run across any Bills haters. Maybe when we're good again they'll be more evident.

As for point 3, I totally agree. It would be much harder for new ownership to move a team which is flourishing than one which is circling the drain. The attitude people would have if the new owner moved a 2-14 team would be "good riddance… that city needs to be put out of their misery."

Regarding point 5, it is ironic that the Bills have made a seeming jump forward in the 2nd year of this regime, in spite of the fact that the 2010 draft is not looking stellar at the moment.

Anyone predicting improvement in 2011 would have probably expected the Class of 2010 to play a large role in this improvement. As you point out, this has not been the case.

The Bills are 8 point dogs at home. That tells you what the bookies think about two wins against the AFC West. If McKelvin doesn't get lit up like a roman candle we might stay close for a while. Pats 21-3 by the end of the first quarter.

Totally irrelevant to this topic.

The Patriots weren't even mentioned in the original post.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan