Is it possible the Merriman issue is a smokescreen

I just had a thought that borders on tinfoil hat territory. Hear me out and tell me if I'm nuts.

Our first two games are against teams that are run freaking crazy. We line Merriman up as a DE and he plays most of the snaps in both games with his hand on the ground. He clearly was told to set the edge and I didn't even see him try to rush Campbell. The one time we absolutely need a sack was on the last play of the Raiders game. The guy beats a double team and if it wasn't for a blatant holding penalty(he was basically tackled in the backfield) he would of had a sack for sure.

In the preseason Merriman is virtually unblockable. Now all of a sudden we're being told that he's not ready to play a full game. That he's still trying to get to game shape, that he needs more time and a slower pace.

Is it possible that this entire situation is nothing more than a carefully orchestrated charade? Is it possible that Merriman has been playing possum? I've got to believe Gailey had this game circled on his calendar. Could this be an instance of brilliant gamesmanship?

You're not nuts...I don't think he's playing possum, per say, but by design he's been a bit handcuffed to the edge, due to the concentration on stopping the run. We must be very careful not to pay close attention to it this week though as "The Firm" ain't no slouch!

I think the grand master plan of the Bills braintrust was to beat the Raiders last week. It has nothing to do with this week. If Merriman CAN be beastly, it will help every week. Obviously he can't yet.

Is Merriman the weak link on Defense? Aside from McLuvin obviously.

:unsure:

Well, considering the last two games were against last year's top running teams, Merriman was probably used a lot different than he will be used Sunday. Last two games they were geared to stop the run, this week, they'll need to do everything they can to stop the pass. In essence, they have been holding Merriman back. So your theory isn't far off, just the reason is different.

I don't know about all of this other stuff, but the guy is playing hurt. He is not showing up on the injury report, but he is playing with this flack jacket looking piece under his jersey that is below the shoulder on the left side, and rises up and wraps around the top of his right shoulder. This is the same arm that he hurt in the KC game on like the second play, when he game out holding his right arm like he'd been shot in it.

I sat behind the Bills bench on Sunday, 14 rows up and watched him come out at least twice during the game, where they pulled of his jersey and adjusted the thing. They were also wrapping that same arm right above the top of the bicep and just below the shoulder.

Now I realize these guys all play hurt, but I really believe that he is not 100% or near it, and that he could even be playing with a slightly separated shoulder or even an injured bicep. If that is the case, I am sure he is not going to be as effective. I watched him on many plays where he seemed to be protecting himself, if even just a little bit.

I agree. He sub-luxated his shoulder. I did it in 1991 playing hockey and it still bothers me. He will probably need surgery eventually. Batten played quite a bit in his stead on Sunday (and recovered the fumble).

When he made the tackle and got hurt, he had his right arm on the RB's chest and took him down. Then the pile fell on top of his shoulder. He described it on the sidelines to the training staff. He held his arm out like a chicken wing and then pressed down on his right shoulder with his left hand. I knew exactly what he meant when I saw that. Hopefully he can play through it, but he probably doesn't have enough strength in his right arm to hand fight with blockers right now.

And holy cow did he get tackled on the last play of the game!

Not sure about that but I do know one thing, Barnett is a freaking beast and his sideline to sideline play has been stellar!

And what a fantastic pickup that has turned out to be.

:thumbsup:

It just seems so strange to see the Bills actually picking up guys that can play. Receivers and TE that can actually play AND catch!

I just had a thought that borders on tinfoil hat territory. Hear me out and tell me if I'm nuts.

Our first two games are against teams that are run freaking crazy. We line Merriman up as a DE and he plays most of the snaps in both games with his hand on the ground. He clearly was told to set the edge and I didn't even see him try to rush Campbell. The one time we absolutely need a sack was on the last play of the Raiders game. The guy beats a double team and if it wasn't for a blatant holding penalty(he was basically tackled in the backfield) he would of had a sack for sure.

In the preseason Merriman is virtually unblockable. Now all of a sudden we're being told that he's not ready to play a full game. That he's still trying to get to game shape, that he needs more time and a slower pace.

Is it possible that this entire situation is nothing more than a carefully orchestrated charade? Is it possible that Merriman has been playing possum? I've got to believe Gailey had this game circled on his calendar. Could this be an instance of brilliant gamesmanship?

If you are nuts, then so am I. I have stopped myself from starting a similar thread on this twice now :D

The only difference between this and what I was going to write is: they are not showing any blitzes until NE. The thinking being: first 2 teams are obvious run-first. No need to blitz mediocre QBs. Focus on stopping the run, and, make them beat you with the pass. Sure seemed that's what they had going in the last game...and it almost cost them. We'll see, but I haven't seen much stunting, blitzing, anything from the D...that we did see in the preseason. Both games: It looked like they were just sitting in their spots, keeping them, trying to hold the line of scrimmage, etc., and trying to contain the RBs/TEs.

On one play in particular, Merriman had his man beat on a move to the inside(not the edge), but the RB started to release...so he held up an stayed with him for a second, and the QB threw it elsewhere.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I don't think Merriman has been holding back but you are right about the last play of the Raiders game. I think he will still be a force.