(OT) Need help with my memory

gflande1

Im trying to remember the name of the person who commited suicide on televison years ago. I want to say he was a public official and was about to be charged with a crime. I remember him pulling a gun out of something, and shooting himself in the head. Anyone remember his name? thanks

yeah it was budd dwyer....pa state treasurer i believe...convicted in a bribery scam. i will never forget it...i was still living in philly at the time and his trial and sentencing were big news. channel 6 in philly was the first and only station to show the actual suicide footage and so many people were freaked out by it, it did not air again. the other local stations did not show it.

i was (un)lucky enough to catch the initial broadcast of r. budd's "nice shot" on channel six. being generally a little timid about acts of ultraviolence, i was freaked the !@#$ out. two shots of brown and i was ok, though. i know there are plenty of war veterans out there who have seen (done?) worse, but i had never seen any thing like that and it turned my stomach. sorry.

i forget who the band was that turned out that "heeeeeeeeeeyy maaaaaan, nice shot!" song, but i should point out an earlier (and better)tribute song was recorded by the great early-industrial artist steve albini who wrote and performed "budd" with his solo project band "rapeman." it was an appropriately disturbing homage to the r.budd freak show.

yeah it was budd dwyer....pa state treasurer i believe...convicted in a bribery scam.  i will never forget it...i was still living in philly at the time and his trial and sentencing were big news.  channel 6 in philly was the first and only station to show the actual suicide footage and so many people were freaked out by it, it did not air again.  the other local stations did not show it.

i was (un)lucky enough to catch the initial broadcast of r. budd's "nice shot" on channel six.  being generally a little timid about acts of ultraviolence, i was freaked the !@#$ out.  two shots of brown and i was ok, though.  i know there are plenty of war veterans out there who have seen (done?) worse, but i had never seen any thing like that and it turned my stomach.  sorry.

i forget who the band was that turned out that "heeeeeeeeeeyy maaaaaan, nice shot!" song, but i should point out an earlier (and better)tribute song was recorded by the great early-industrial artist steve albini who wrote and performed "budd" with his solo project band "rapeman."  it was an appropriately disturbing homage to the r.budd freak show.

170260[/snapback]

filter