Buffalo Bills and playoffs?

Bills!Win!

With the nice cool sunday we have outside in Western New York today I feel like watching some football to get me ready for the season. I usually do this every year and I watch old Bills games from way back when. I'm rewatching the Bills at Titans game from 2000 for the first time since it happened. I did not not watch the last play this time.

Some thoughts though on watching the game.

-It's been a long time since the Bills made the playoffs. I forgot how exciting the playoffs are when the Bills are playing. They're long overdue.

-I get a warm and fuzzy feeling seeing Reed/Smith/Thomas all playing in that game.

-Al DelGreco always seemed to have really bad luck when playing the Bills. He had mishaps in the comeback game and in this game.

-Tennessee's crowd sure knew how to take the offense out of the game. Numerous penalties in the game on the bills offensive line. Carl Mauck was a hilarious O-Line coach, always yelling at everything.

-Many may disagree with me on this point, but I don't completely understand how the Titans did so well that year and made it to the superbowl. From the looks of it, they had an average team that got lucky at the right time.

-McNair and Johnson played terrible in that game. Buffalo never allowed any yards that year and ranked #1. Tennessee's defense dominated that game. Buffalo D also played well, holding Tennesee's offense to under 50 yards in the 1st quarter. Every time Johnson did something terrible, they would show Flutie standing there on the sidelines.

-Wade Phillips made some pretty bad decisions in that game. Taking out Hicks and Fina because they were banged up. I would've kept them in because they would've been way better than the two backups defending the Titans D-Line/Kearse. I'm not sure what he was thinking not playing Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed very much in the 2nd half. I'm convinced he's the worst coach ever. Plus the fact he started Johnson.

-Joe Theismann is annoying

-In the 2nd quarter Benji Olson (sp?) cheapshots Marlo Perry by taking out his left knee and takes Perry out of the game. I always remember the Titans as being chippy cheapshot teams.

-Rob Johnson's safety in the 2nd quarter is one of the worst football plays of all time. I've never seen such terrible mobility/balance from a quarterback in my life. Johnson was also overthrowing his receivers alot in this game. Mason had a nice return that set up the Titans Touchdown on the ensuing safety punt

-Penalties on the Bills defense really hurt them. Bruce Smith was offsides when Buffalo recovers a fumble in Bills territory. Pat Williams also had a bad encroachment penalty that gives Tennessee an automatic first down which leads to Tennesee's first TD to make the score 9-0. 4 off-sides and 4 false starts in the first half.

-The Bills force a turnover as Eddie George fumbles the ball and Buffalo recovers. Peerless Price then catches a long pass on 3rd down and they call him out of bounds. Very questionable call and the Bills would've had the first down at the 35 yard line with 1:53 left. A 12-0 game could've very easily been 12-7 at halftime. This makes a HUGE difference later in the game.

-Delgreco misses a fieldgoal as time expires in the 2nd quarter. Bills are called on a defensive holding penalty which gives the Titans another chance to make the field goal and they do. 12-0 at halftime.

-Nice long run by Antowain Smith to start the 2nd half. Buffalo makes it 12-7 on a short TD run by Smith. Sam Gash was a beast. Buffalo gets as many yards on their first drive of the 2nd half as they did in the first half of the game.

-Cheers to Bruce Smith getting 2 and half sacks in the game to end his career with Buffalo. Didn't see much of Andre Reed that game. Bruce played with a mean streak, although sometimes it hurt him. For example in this game he got a penalty for roughing the passer that probably shouldn't have been called.

-Buffalo special teams were missing tackles all game. They weren't very good at all. No wonder they...... you know what happened...

-After scoring their 2nd touchdown and leading 13-12, the Bills decided to go for 2 and they miss it. They should've just taken the extra point. The titans did nothing on offense in the 2nd half.

-Another mistake. Peerless price should not have run out of bounds to stop the clock on the last drive. The bills should've drained as much clock as they could or at least gone for it on 3rd down and keep running the clock. They went for a fieldgoal instead of getting a first down. This is what lost them the game.

-The refs blew this game.

Edited by Bills!Win!

-After scoring their 2nd touchdown and leading 13-12, the Bills decided to go for 2 and they miss it. They should've just taken the extra point. The titans did nothing on offense in the 2nd half.

-Another mistake. Peerless price should not have run out of bounds to stop the clock on the last drive. The bills should've drained as much clock as they could or at least gone for it on 3rd down and keep running the clock. They went for a fieldgoal instead of getting a first down. This is what lost them the game.

-The refs blew this game.

Which is it? Frankly, I've never viewed the homerun throwback as a solid bad call by the refs. But it was a solid bad call by the Bills to not kick that out of bounds, the way the D was playing lights-out. And yeah, hindsight is 20-20.