2011 Rhythm and Roots

birdog1960

BRRR saw a few bills caps in the crowd last year. if you're in the carolina, virginia, tennessee or even DC area this festival is worth a drive. at $40 for weekend passes, the extra money can go for gas. for the tuned in, any don't miss recommendations? i will be seeing dawes, marty stuart, black lillies and justin townes earle for sure. Edited by birdog1960

Top of the must see list (imho) is Robert Randolph...simply one of the best concerts I have seen in a very long time...up there for me with Stevie Ray Vaughn...i have heard a lot of buzz around David Wax Museum, haven't heard too much to recognize them yet...how can you not go see John Oates Band...and as you already said...Dawes would be my second choice behind RR&FB.

BRRR saw a few bills caps in the crowd last year. if you're in the carolina, virginia, tennessee or even DC area this festival is worth a drive. at $40 for weekend passes, the extra money can go for gas. for the tuned in, any don't miss recommendations? i will be seeing dawes, marty stuart, black lillies and justin townes earle for sure.

Edited by The Poojer

i'll try and see all of them over the weekend if possible. another on my list is "the broadcast" who i saw last night and are a late addition to the festival. female lead singer is a cross between adele and janis joplin.they are originally from new york, now live in asheville. had the bar shaking.

• 4 weeks later...

if there's a more impressive band than red molly the rest of the festival i'll be very surprised. they're in charlotte and durham next week. well worth your time if you live around there. acapella "may i suggest" had half the women in the paramount theater crying last night.

Edited by birdog1960

i can't implore you enough to see Robert Randolph...I may be hyping them too much, but they are honestly one of the greatest shows ive seen since SRV. that said, I will have to check out red molly

oh, i'm going! it's just that i thought i was listening to angels last night. we're seeing them again tonight, outside stage before robert randolph. :thumbsup: someone told me his playing is an adaptation to music traditionally played in his church. i hope it's as spritual as last night.

i checked out a version of the song you mentioned by them and it was a very nice song...i understand where you are coming from. enjoy!

oh, i'm going! it's just that i thought i was listening to angels last night. we're seeing them again tonight, outside stage before robert randolph. :thumbsup: someone told me his playing is an adaptation to music traditionally played in his church. i hope it's as spritual as last night.

well??????

sorry, i wasn't gonna volunteer any info cuz i was a little disappointed. i think randolph kind of phoned it in. he may have sensed that the festival is more suited to gillian welch than earth, wind and fire (which he riffed on in addition to little feat). that said, he did have the crowd going at times. i thought his riffs were somewhat repetitive and not very imaginative but it must have been an off night. i could certainly see the technical ability.

there was an amazing tribute to jimmie rodgers and the carter family at the end of the festival with an all star band including darrell scott, langhorne slim (who made a brave attempt at yodelling) robinella, michelle malone, john oates (from hall and oates who said it was the best weekend of music he'd ever experienced), several nashville session musician (drums, bass and pedal steel) several remaining family members of the carters and a couple female vocalist including one who won female bluegrass vocalist of the year. darrell scott said they were gonna play real country music, before urban cowboy and they did. did everything from "the circle is unbroken" to " in the jailhouse now", most with a more modern touch. it was outstanding. that one show was worth the price of admission. missed at least 2 bands watching the bills in a downtown bristol bar but obviously that was well worth it too!

Edited by birdog1960

that's a shame...i have seen him a bunch of times and each time it really had the feeling of a sort of gospel revival, as well as in your face steel guitar playing. I bet john oates would be fun to see. sounds like all in all it was a great weekend of music....don't give up on RR&FB though...they really are a great band

sorry, i wasn't gonna volunteer any info cuz i was a little disappointed. i think randolph kind of phoned it in. he may have sensed that the festival is more suited to gillian welch than earth, wind and fire (which he riffed on in addition to little feat). that said, he did have the crowd going at times. i thought his riffs were somewhat repetitive and not very imaginative but it must have been an off night. i could certainly see the technical ability.

there was an amazing tribute to jimmie rodgers and the carter family at the end of the festival with an all star band including darrell scott, langhorne slim (who made a brave attempt at yodelling) robinella, michelle malone, john oates (from hall and oates who said it was the best weekend of music he'd ever experienced), several nashville session musician (drums, bass and pedal steel) several remaining family members of the carters and a couple female vocalist including one who won female bluegrass vocalist of the year. darrell scott said they were gonna play real country music, before urban cowboy and they did. did everything from "the circle is unbroken" to " in the jailhouse now", most with a more modern touch. it was outstanding. that one show was worth the price of admission. missed at least 2 bands watching the bills in a downtown bristol bar but obviously that was well worth it too!