Rehashing and old topic

Hplarrm

Will Belicheat be forgiven?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Pats efforts still sullied by cheating scandal?

• Yes, and always will be
    • No, statute of limitations has run out
    • Yes, but as time goes by this will be forgotten

I know this is old news, but it is pre-season so old news is fair game in my book. In addition, my sense is that cheating to the degree that the league plopped down a $500K fine and the Pats simply bent over and took their poison admitting guilt means this was serious.

I decided to rehash this old story in part because I think outright and clearly illegal cheating is so bad its important to resurrect the issue from time to time.

As a typical American forgiving sort, I actually am not going to vote that this sin can never be forgiven and instead vote #3 that there is a statute of limitations on this. However, I do not think we are there yet, Perhaps after Belicheat is gone or maybe after the Brady era the team will be removed far enough away from the scandal that all should be forgiven.

However, even though the team paid a chunk of penance when they blew the perfect season in the SB, my guess is that if the Pats were to get to the SB again this year or under BB there will still be significant discussion about the place of BB and/or this team in history.

So I vote the crime can be forgiven but not yet.

Edited by Hplarrm

Tom Brady is the reason why some refer to the Patriots as the model organization in the NFL.

He certainly helped turn their franchise around, but you are delusional if you think that the "Patriot Way" means nothing. I know it hurts, but there is a reason why Bob Kraft and the Patriot organization are the gold standard in the NFL.

He certainly helped turn their franchise around, but you are delusional if you think that the "Patriot Way" means nothing. I know it hurts, but there is a reason why Bob Kraft and the Patriot organization are the gold standard in the NFL.

As much as I hate to say this you got the Steelers and Patriots confused.

I hate both teams.

Why was my post deleted? WTF

The Patriots are successful because they have good management, good coaching, and good players.

Trying to discredit their success is just sour grapes.

Learn to take your ass whipping like a man, and don't make excuses or cry about it.

Interesting reaction in that I figured I was being a moderate by saying the Pats acknowledged serious transgression can in fact be forgiven, just not yet. Not surprisingly on a Bills bulletin board the voting right now is actually running the other way that the crime can never be forgiven.

My guess is that while part of this is caused by the decade plus of being losers on the Bills part, another chunk of this caused by the seeming lack of acknowledgement of the seriousness of this transgression by SOME Pats fans. Perhaps I am wrong and this sin will never be forgiven since clearly there are folks such as you who see the Pats as some NFL gold standard.

While their crime certainly does not totally invalidate their achievements for this fan, the worse thing I think Belicheat did with the fairly obvious illegal filming of opposition signals was that he did not have to do it because the Pats could beat many teams (including many of the hapless Bills squads of the past decade+) without stooping to cheat.

My guess is that the Pats are not likely to be relieved of an asterisks on their winning ways by both biased fans like us Bills lovers and even objective fans because some Pats fans fail to acknowledge that the main victims of the Belicheat led scandal was in fact Pats rooters.

Gold standard? Perhaps fools gold. I think any reasonable person would be far more likely to see the GB model as one to follow (there is a lot to be said for fan ownership over Kraft ownership) or the Steelers (a better recent record of success compared to the Pats in the past decade or easily the last few years.

Ironically it is attitudes like the one expressed by some Pats partisans despite reality that makes me feel better about rooting for stupid consistently losing teams like the Bills than winners (long and longer ago) like the Pats.

The fans won't forget but the media already have, the are the golden boys of the NFL, to honest ESPN, FOX sport & NFL network act like there is only 5 teams in the NFL and if not for the Cowboys the Patriots would be #1