Ralph's Other Business Interests

I never seem to read much about Ralph Wilson's business interests other than the Bills. So I decided to dig a little bit and see what I could find. This is not intended to be comprehensive, but if like me you've ever wondered what other business interests Ralph has besides the Bills, here's a very small window into his world (note that some of the info is a few years old - - he could have divested any of this stuff without going public about it):

A. Horse racing (from a 2003 court case in Kentucky):

1. http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/cases/insure/hiscox.htm

"Wilson, as Trustee of the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Revocable Trust, is the owner and a named insured on Lloyd's Policy No. 483/H119752 insuring against the humane destruction of the unnamed 1999 bay colt out of the mare Lonely Girl by the thoroughbred stallion Unbridled owned by the Trust. Underwriters are subscribers to and participants in the Policy and are bound and liable under the policy for payments due thereunder, i.e., the colt's agreed value of $875,000, subject to certain condition precedents set forth in the policy.

Wilson is an experienced entrepreneur with diverse business holdings, including highway construction, radio stations, trucking, the thoroughbred horse industry, ownership of the Buffalo Bills, and previous ownership of an insurance brokerage firm. He purchased the subject colt at a Keeneland yearling sale in Lexington, Kentucky, on September, 2000. Shortly thereafter, the colt was added by endorsement as a covered horse under the policy and insured for the sum of $875,000."

Food for thought - - If Ralph put an $875,000 race horse into a revocable trust prior to 1/03, why not his stock in Buffalo Bills, Inc.?

2. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1085484/index.htm

B. Ownership of TV stations and investment in, among other things, 5 venture capital funds:

1. http://www.getitgrowing.info/Portals/51/IT%20Risk%20Managers,%20Inc/BIO-Skip.pdf'>http://www.getitgrowing.info/Portals/51/IT%20Risk%20Managers,%20Inc/BIO-Skip.pdf

2. http://articles.sfgate.com/1999-11-29/news/28590508_1

"Channel 36 began broadcasting in October 1967 with the call letters KGSC. It broadcast mostly of black and white movies, wrestling and such late-night fare as "Old Sourdough" and "Movies 'til Dawn."

Its call letters were changed to KICU when it was bought by Ralph Wilson Enterprises. Like the Silicon Valley around it, it grew quickly and its programming expanded to include highly rated off-network series, local news and other local programming.

Ownership changed again in the early 1990s, with the station going to a group of local businessmen, including Ralph Wilson, the late William Hirshey and Jim Evers, the station's current general manager and president."

C. Interstate Highway Construction, Inc.

1. http://www.corporationwiki.com/Michigan/Grosse-Pointe-Farms/ralph-c-wilson/29792933.aspx

"Ralph C. Wilson is associated with Interstate Highway Construction, Inc. and holds several roles such as Director and Chairman."

D. Polycon Systems, Inc.

1. http://www.getitgrowing.info/Portals/51/IT%20Risk%20Managers,%20Inc/BIO-Skip.pdf

Based on the description of what Polycom Systems, Inc. does in the above link, the link below seems to be related (although the company name is not identical):

2. http://polyconmfg.com/

Anybody know anything about his business interests in radio stations or trucking (both of which were briefly mentioned in the 2003 Kentucky court opinion above)?

It seems odd that I've never heard of most of these business interests of Ralph - - could there be some other "Ralph Wilson Enterprises" responsible for some of them (especially the TV stations)?

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I call BULLS--T!!!

(Quit lying - you don't give a crap about Wilson's business :rolleyes:)

Actually I do-I always wondered about this mysterious Detroit "business man" who so entrenched himself into Buffalo's Psyche. Did he just come from Mars? Does anyone know anything about him? I think natural questions.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

From Wikipedia:

"Wilson grew up in Detroit, Michigan, graduated from the University of Virginia and attended the University of Michigan Law School. At the University of Virginia he joined the Phi Delta Theta fraternity. He is a World War II veteran. After the war ended, he took over the successful insurance business of his father and invested in Michigan area mines and factories. He eventually purchased several manufacturing outlets, construction firms, and radio stations, and founded Ralph Wilson Industries.

Ralph Wilson has also been involved for a number of years in the sport of Thoroughbred horse racing both as a breeder and as an owner in France and the United States. He notably bred Santa Anita Derby winner, Jim French as well as two-year-old European susperstar Arazi, winner of the 1991 Breeders' Cup Juvenile and European Horse of the Year. [4] Another horse, Outta Here, raced in the 2003 Kentucky Derby and finished in seventh place."

From Wikipedia:

"Wilson grew up in Detroit, Michigan, graduated from the University of Virginia and attended the University of Michigan Law School. At the University of Virginia he joined the Phi Delta Theta fraternity. He is a World War II veteran. After the war ended, he took over the successful insurance business of his father and invested in Michigan area mines and factories. He eventually purchased several manufacturing outlets, construction firms, and radio stations, and founded Ralph Wilson Industries.

Ralph Wilson has also been involved for a number of years in the sport of Thoroughbred horse racing both as a breeder and as an owner in France and the United States. He notably bred Santa Anita Derby winner, Jim French as well as two-year-old European susperstar Arazi, winner of the 1991 Breeders' Cup Juvenile and European Horse of the Year. [4] Another horse, Outta Here, raced in the 2003 Kentucky Derby and finished in seventh place."

Bottom line, born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I am not judging, just saying.

There will come a point where the Bills no longer can spend what Ralph Wilson is willing to put in, maybe as soon as this season. That might be the tipping point to sell this team to a Buffalo-Based group while he is still alive, fingers crossed.

FYI, Ralph made the bulk of his fortune in the insurance business. I believe he (or his father, or both of 'em) were also part-owners of the Lions at one time.

I'm curious - why the fixation on RW's business enterprises?

Call me a freak, but I've sometimes killed time while waiting for movie start times by reading business magazine articles (among others) in nearby bookstores. I'm interested in both business topics and the Bills, so I'm a little curious about the other business interests of the guy who owns at least the controlling interest (and for all we know 100% of the interest) in the corporation that owns my favorite football team.

BTW, isn't "fixation" a little strong? It's not like I'm planning a hostile takeover or anything - - although I have posted before on the topic of RW's business interests.

To a certain extent, all of us are here because we're collectively "fixated" on Bills-related topics. If that's a crime, I plead guilty. In general, I figure if something Bills-related interests me, it probably interests at least a few other fellow Bills fans as well. so it seemed appropriate to post what I found.

Bottom line, born with a silver spoon in his mouth. I am not judging, just saying.

1.) you are judging

2.) he was born into a wealthy family and didn't lie there and become a trust fund playboy baby living it up in NYC - he took his family's wealth and grew it considerably. The man is a heck of a businessman and an owner who actually understands finances and the bottom line.

3.) all this said - he doesn't have near the same outside revenue as a Kraft, Allen, Jones, Black, etc. He is a loyal owner, both to his employees and his team. You won't find an employee bad mouth him. The issues with Butler/Polian and RW, weren't ralph at all, but rather Littman. His biggest blunder, perhaps, is letting Littman have too much reign, however, he may be responsible for being the reason the Bills are still in town and financially viable at the same time.

Edited by rpcolosi

1.) you are judging

2.) he was born into a wealthy family and didn't lie there and become a trust fund playboy baby living it up in NYC - he took his family's wealth and grew it considerably. The man is a heck of a businessman and an owner who actually understands finances and the bottom line.

3.) all this said - he doesn't have near the same outside revenue as a Kraft, Allen, Jones, Black, etc. He is a loyal owner, both to his employees and his team. You won't find an employee bad mouth him. The issues with Butler/Polian and RW, weren't ralph at all, but rather Littman. His biggest blunder, perhaps, is letting Littman have too much reign, however, he may be responsible for being the reason the Bills are still in town and financially viable at the same time.

Are you saying the reason the Bills are still the Buffalo Bills and making money is because Littman chased Polian out?

Back in the early 80s, Ralph C. Wilson Industries, Inc., as the FCC licensed owner of a San Jose, CA TV station, filed and lost an antitrust suit as plaintiff against other Bay Area TV stations and certain suppliers of TV programming:

http://law.justia.co...94/1359/230901/

Go to sleep! :)

p.s.- I had nothing to do with the case you cited.

FYI, Ralph made the bulk of his fortune in the insurance business. I believe he (or his father, or both of 'em) were also part-owners of the Lions at one time.

I'm curious - why the fixation on RW's business enterprises?

If the subject of Ralph's other business interests bores you, why click on a link labeled "Ralph's other business interests"?