Plans for new Peace Bridge dropped

But what if a tanker truck crashes and causes an explosion which creates fissures in the bedrock and harmful chemicals seep into the Niagara river? Then what?

They engineer tunnels for those type of things. I'm not an explosion expert but the force of an explosion goes out the open ends of the tunnel more than up or down against the walls. There a few tunnels in Canada that go under the Welland canal, it would be easier than a bridge. As far as a tanker goes, what if it rams the side of the bridge and falls into the river? The railing on the peace bridge would barely stop a car let alone a tanker truck.

They engineer tunnels for those type of things. I'm not an explosion expert but the force of an explosion goes out the open ends of the tunnel more than up or down against the walls. There a few tunnels in Canada that go under the Welland canal, it would be easier than a bridge. As far as a tanker goes, what if it rams the side of the bridge and falls into the river? The railing on the peace bridge would barely stop a car let alone a tanker truck.

Yep.

Hundreds of underwater tunnels in the world including one beneath the English Channel.

Also the Holland, Lincoln, etc.

But if they can't build a bridge I guess it's a moot point.

Well before Boston's Big Dig, I wanted Buffalo to cover up the Kensington Expressway to rebuild the neighborhoods and the Olmstead Parkway which the Kensington destroyed.

I also thought it would be great to enclose the Niagara Thruway to restore waterfront access. It would also mean that the Niagara Thruway wouldn't have to be snowplowed anymore.

But our local and regional governments aren't really capable of doing much more than collecting taxes and hiring relatives.