our horrible drafts have a bright side

If you draft well you win more games. There isn't any good side to bad drafting.

Its not just drafting well, a team can have the best talent in the NFL on both sides of the ball, if they don't have the proper talent coaching the team ...they aren't going very far.

The thing is... everything usually goes hand in hand, you hire a top GM - president who has a very bright football mind, and let them make all the personnel decisions like Ralph did with Tom Donahoe. He had the right idea, just the wrong person. So fire him and hire someone better, If the guy isn't brilliant and makes stupid moves, then fire him and start over. I just don't get the idea that if you a mistake with a bad hire..... like he has done with many many head coaches, just fire the guy, find a replacement and move on. Don't let some moronic head coach take over and make all the wrong moves, like RW did with Jauron

What gets me is why Donahoe was hired in the first place, the man lost an internal power struggle with Bill Cowher, who was obviously the one making the correct decisions on talent. It shows me that whatever football acumen that RW had in hiring HC Chuck Knox and GM Bill Polian must have been pure dumb luck, because he hasn't been able to ever replace either man.

Bill Polian was a brilliant GM for the Buffalo Bills and then GM & president of the SB winning Colts as we sadly all know. Chuck Knox was a brilliant HC, he managed to build a playoff team despite the fact he had a moron as his GM above him in Stew Barber....stewie. The man was a supreme motivator and had a great eye for talent. Doesn't it bother anyone else that when this owner finds a man who can lead his team to the playoffs...he somehow finds a reason to get rid of them.

Its not just drafting well, a team can have the best talent in the NFL on both sides of the ball, if they don't have the proper talent coaching the team ...they aren't going very far.

The thing is... everything usually goes hand in hand, you hire a top GM - president who has a very bright football mind, and let them make all the personnel decisions like Ralph did with Tom Donahoe. He had the right idea, just the wrong person. So fire him and hire someone better, If the guy isn't brilliant and makes stupid moves, then fire him and start over. I just don't get the idea that if you a mistake with a bad hire..... like he has done with many many head coaches, just fire the guy, find a replacement and move on. Don't let some moronic head coach take over and make all the wrong moves, like RW did with Jauron

What gets me is why Donahoe was hired in the first place, the man lost an internal power struggle with Bill Cowher, who was obviously the one making the correct decisions on talent. It shows me that whatever football acumen that RW had in hiring HC Chuck Knox and GM Bill Polian must have been pure dumb luck, because he hasn't been able to ever replace either man.

Bill Polian was a brilliant GM for the Buffalo Bills and then GM & president of the SB winning Colts as we sadly all know. Chuck Knox was a brilliant HC, he managed to build a playoff team despite the fact he had a moron as his GM above him in Stew Barber....stewie. The man was a supreme motivator and had a great eye for talent. Doesn't it bother anyone else that when this owner finds a man who can lead his team to the playoffs...he somehow finds a reason to get rid of them.

And he named you interim coach on two separate occasions!!!

:)

wow you guys really miss the point, everyone flames my post missing the point and while "acting" intelligent. the point (made simply for mouth breathers) was that all the people who go on and on about how we missed on 5-6 first rounders and how we could have gotten other guys like matthews,revis,rothlesburger etc.... are all mistaken. we could not have gotten all of those guys since just hitting on one or two picks would have equaled more wins and worse draft positions. And yes maybe 4 more wins last year alone since we had no pass rush and lost games by 3 points.

half you geniuses ripped my post saying more wins is better than losing just to draft higher, which i already stated in the OP, the other half said the guys i mentioned suck...that was not the point anyway.

try reading the OP more carefully and pay attention instead of ripping people who offer another point of view.

Are you the same people who said fitz sucked and trent was better all last year and the year before? I remember so many people arguing about that as I defended him before he became "our guy"

wow you guys really miss the point, everyone flames my post missing the point and while "acting" intelligent. the point (made simply for mouth breathers) was that all the people who go on and on about how we missed on 5-6 first rounders and how we could have gotten other guys like matthews,revis,rothlesburger etc.... are all mistaken. we could not have gotten all of those guys since just hitting on one or two picks would have equaled more wins and worse draft positions. And yes maybe 4 more wins last year alone since we had no pass rush and lost games by 3 points.

half you geniuses ripped my post saying more wins is better than losing just to draft higher, which i already stated in the OP, the other half said the guys i mentioned suck...that was not the point anyway.

try reading the OP more carefully and pay attention instead of ripping people who offer another point of view.

Are you the same people who said fitz sucked and trent was better all last year and the year before? I remember so many people arguing about that as I defended him before he became "our guy"

No matter how you spin it...there simply is no bright side to a decade of bad drafting!

Edited by Harvey lives

ok so it started with rob johnson and the first rounder we wasted to get him, then mike williams, jp losman and mcargo, and finally mr maybin. After all of those drafts we all have heard the names we missed on...Cutler, Revis, Mckinney, Orakpo etc.

heres the thing, had we gotten even just one of those guys over said loser...we would have had more wins each year afterward and never had been in the same low draft position we ended up in. One win equals about 3-5 draft spots lower in any draft. Say we had stuck w flutie and never got rob the karate kid johnson for example...Flutie might have stayed longer and we would have eeked out 10 wins a year and even had a first round pick playing for us out of that very draft (maybe fred taylor) then we dont draft antowain smith and then we have even another better player, maybe making the playoffs a couple more times before a rebuiling again.

this senario could have played itself out any given year. Last year had we gotten orakpo i bet we win four more games...all the close 3 pointers and one more after orakpo knocks out the starting qb and there we have it, 8 wins and a crappy draft pick this year.

all in all i would have taken that, or flutie instead of RJ, or revis instead of JP but the reality is we would never have had the chance to miss on so many low picks, had we not missed on the one before it. YA i know we need to start hitting some, move up and pick higher and higher, its just not quite as bad as it seems.

So you would rather spin your wheels in the mud so you can keep spinning your wheels in the mud? Suck at the draft so we can keep sucking on the field? Are you in charge at One Bills Drive? That might explain why things have went the way they have been going for the past 15 years.

I don't want to get into a heated debate about this but personally, I feel our succession of losing seasons and our extended absence from the playoffs has had a much more positive effect on the team than the poor drafts… although I can see where people might feel differently.