Question about TV networks

I know that TV networks bring in the most revenue for the NFL and not just the ticket sales and I know that buffalo is considered a small mart team...but what does that mean for games being broadcasted in the southern ontario area? I would think that bills games are being watched in the toronto area but does tht count as revenue for the team or how does it work? Ifso i think that the bills must bring in plenty of TV revenue for the league

I know that TV networks bring in the most revenue for the NFL and not just the ticket sales and I know that buffalo is considered a small mart team...but what does that mean for games being broadcasted in the southern ontario area? I would think that bills games are being watched in the toronto area but does tht count as revenue for the team or how does it work? Ifso i think that the bills must bring in plenty of TV revenue for the league

If the game is being watched on a US TV station's direct broadcast I don't think it matters where the viewer is sitting - - it's just part of the domestic TV broadcast revenue stream. On the other hand, if the game is being watched on a broadcast that originates from a TV station outside the US, there is reason to think the broadcast revenue is handled differently.

Here's a link to the 2006 version (most recent I can find) of the NFL Constitution and Bylaws:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

It's a 292 page document, so I've never read the whole thing, but because it's in pdf format you can use the search box at the top of the document to search it for key words like "international" or "television." If you jump to page 189/292 (or search "1998 Resolution FC-9"), you find a 1998 NFL Finance Committee resolution that specifies how "international television revenue" is to be used every year to fund an "international development effort." I don't see a specific definition, though, of "international television revenue."

At present, the league seems to be committed to eventually expanding internationally. For fairly recent comments by Roger Goodell on international expansion, see this interview he gave in London last season:

http://nfllabor.com/2010/10/29/commissioner-goodell-%E2%80%9Crestructured-season-would-allow-for-more-international-games%E2%80%9D/

I watch Bills games on Canadian TV in Newfoundland. They pick up the CBS feed, so I imagine that CTV pays CBS for the rights and the league does not get any additional money from what CBS is paying them. Just a guess though.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that viewers in Canada do not count towards the ratings. To your point, TV revenue is based on overall viewership across the country. The networks then decide how much they would be willing to pay for that many viewers and make a bid for broadcasting rights. That TV revenue is then divided evenly between the teams. It's not divided based on viewership in each given area.

Edited by UpperDeck

I watch Bills games on Canadian TV in Newfoundland. They pick up the CBS feed, so I imagine that CTV pays CBS for the rights and the league does not get any additional money from what CBS is paying them. Just a guess though.

I believe CTV pays the NFL a rights fee and additionally works out an arrangement with CBS to pick up a weekly feed. The cost to CTV is a lot smaller because the viewership is too. Think of how each country's broadcasters pay for Olympic broadcast rights but use common feeds for coverage.