I love Dareus as a player, I really do...but...

I don't understand the idea that Troup is a wasted pick in this scenario nor do I understand how your legitimate concern about our 4-3 DEs relates to Darius performance as a DT in a 4 man front.

Well, read back. I was answering someone who said we are better suited to play a 4-3 anyway, and I was saying that our 4-3 DE candidates on this roster would indicate we are a long way away from being a consistent 4-man rush team.

I also don't see how opposing DEs would be afraid of our DEs either.

Yeah, it's called a typo, it happens. Not my first, won't be my last. A little surprised you couldnt figure out that I meant OT's, but thats fine. Yes, they would not be striking fear in opposing OTs.

Troup will be rotated in no matter what fronts we use and will come in handy in case of injuries which WILL happen, although I get how it's popular on this board to not have any talent in your second stringers because of our other NEEDS. God forbid we have good backups.

Well, when you're a team with as many holes as the Bills have, fans don't want rotational players picked in the high second round , and that's exactly what Troup would be in this scenario you painted.

fans don't want rotational players picked in the high second round , and that's exactly what Troup would be in this scenario you painted.

Well, if players were picked based on what the fans wanted, teams would be pretty bad. We might make it a little better on first rounders, but we probably wouldn't have drafted players like stevie johnson, kyle williams, or arthur moats. Just because fans don't like it doesn't mean it won't work out. There is nothing wrong with a rotational guy as long as he contributes enough. Most of the Dline is rotational on most teams anyway.

You could have Charles Woodson & Derrell Revis at CB's and it still won't matter if our DL can't get to the QB.

Or stop a Runningback. and we can't do either :(

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

You got that right, Marcell's stats wont be dazzling, but he will have a huge impact on the overall play of the defense.

Bingo. Dareus is exactly the type of grinder who doesn't put up numbers, but enables the guys around him to put up numbers. Look at successful 3-4 defenses around the league, and you'll find a lot of high picks at DE that don't put up sacks or tackles on their own.

I just can't get myself excited about the idea of taking a 5-technique 3-4 DE with the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

If we ran a 4 man front, and he was going to play the old Pat Williams role as the nose, I would be all for it. But a 3-4 DE to me isnt an impact position.

Talk to me after the Jets put another 200+ yards on the ground against us....twice. Getting a shot at a guy like Dareus don't come along every year, or maybe it does and we pick a DB or RB.......

Let's quit thinking about flash and get guys in here who are the foundation of a winning team....the line.

If you look at the Ravens, the fact they can play Kelly Gregg at the nose slanting and Ngata at 5 technique allows their inside and outside backers to thrive, particularly Lewis. If we had a player of that caliber (Dareus) at 5T, that makes an 80% Merriman look like his 100%+Steroids because he has very little in his way to the QB.