With the 3rd pick in the 2011 draft...

Why is everyone acting like we get one pick for the whole off-season? Hopefully, free agency starts soon and we can get some help there. We for sure need a good draft and a decent free agency to be competitive defensively.

I go with the sense that I would take Miller over Dareus for the fact that its harder to get a difference making OLB than it is a de/dt. I think there will be plenty of big grown man that we can throw into the d-line to improve the run defense. Cullen Jenkins, Jaques Cesaire type of guy. They are not only easier to find but they are much cheaper and you can get a couple of them. Sort of what the Packers do.

Aside from Dareus, there isn't a lineman worthy of the 3rd overall pick. Unless you have a hard on for Fairley there's no other fat guy you can pick at 3 to stop the run.

Why is everyone acting like we get one pick for the whole off-season? Hopefully, free agency starts soon and we can get some help there. We for sure need a good draft and a decent free agency to be competitive defensively.

I go with the sense that I would take Miller over Dareus for the fact that its harder to get a difference making OLB than it is a de/dt. I think there will be plenty of big grown man that we can throw into the d-line to improve the run defense. Cullen Jenkins, Jaques Cesaire type of guy. They are not only easier to find but they are much cheaper and you can get a couple of them. Sort of what the Packers do.

This is not a fact.

Infact its actually the opposite of how actual NFL decision makers think.

Two ways you can tell 1.) LBs very rarely go #3 overall. Actual NFL decision makers take Big athletic D-Lineman ahead of LBs because they are harder to find. 2.) An actual NFL coach literary said as much without having to interpret what they think through their actions. "It's harder to find defensive linemen to play a 4-3 and pay for all of them," . . . . Wade Phillips said . . . . "In this day and age, where salary cap is so important, D-linemen are the highest-paid guys. And to get the guys we had in Philadelphia with Reggie White and Jerome Brown and Clyde Simmons, there's no way you could keep those guys [in this day and age]. . .

"I think linebackers, in reality, are a little bit cheaper, and you can find more of them. You can find more guys who are instinctive, who can run. Some in-between guys sometimes are good at outside backer. It seems to fit better as far as the personnel and really the money that you have to spend on guys on defense."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07117/781485-66.stm#ixzz1KcuKXPQR"'>http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07117/781485-66.stm#ixzz1KcuKXPQR"http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07117/781485-66.stm

You can say what you what you want about Wade Phillips as a Head Coach, but he does know defenses.

Sorry if reality ruins your opinion but in reality every top tier Defensive lineman including Dareaus, Fairely, JJ Watt, and Cam Jordan is worth the #3 overall, especially over Von Miller. No matter what "range" McShay and Kiper arbitrarily put player in.

Spending 50 Million dollars on an OLB out of the gate before knowing if this tweener can play OLB in the NFL (Von Miller played DE for the 1st 3 years of his career not LB) is a Buffalo Bills style draft both job. You can get an OLB in the 3rd once you snatch one of these hard to find ATHLETIC big men.

Edited by Why So Serious?