Mularkey Talked The Talk, Now Back It Up

Mark VI

Tell that to the Ravens.  Maybe they didn't win the SB? :blink:

11515[/snapback]

Bad comparison. The Ravens D scored as many points that year as the O. The only thing the offense had to do was be adequate.

While the Bills D was good statistically last year (and should be again in 2004), if they can't generate turnovers like the Ravens unit did, it could easily be a long season.

We shouldn't run the plays that don't work.

Gad Zooks!! I wonder why NFL head coaches never thought of that before. I think you're on to something. :blink:

I don't wish to see us in obvious passing situations all the time. Thus the jailbreak blitz with a QB who wears Granny shoes. A negative play for us.

I like the 3 step drop and the quick out for 5-7 yards...or the quick swing pass. Sets up the long ones to the WR's.

Didn't mean to suggest we should only throw 10 times a game . Play within yourselves and to your strengths...which is THE RUN.

That philosophy protects your QB and cuts down on mistakes.

I don't really care if they run or pass as long as the chains keep moving.  The problem last year was that they couldn't execute a pass play if their life depended on it(combination of poor QB'ing, bad OL and non existant WR play).  I really believe you have to mix it up and keep the defense off balance which means the occassional pass on running downs and vice versa.  We don't have the dominant OL where we can say..."We are going to run the ball, you know it and you can't stop us."

11588[/snapback]

Labatt's got it right on this one. While I agree with Mark that I'd like to see the Bills run, run again, and then run it some more, that will only work if we are actually successful running the ball. If we try our best to run it as much as possible, but can't get anywhere with it, we end up doing nothing but putting ourselves in 3rd and longs, and that's just a recipe for failure with the way this line pass blocks in obvious passing situations.

Run blocking is definitely more of a strong point (or perhaps I should say less of a weak point) for this offensive line, but I'm not yet convinced that this line can make holes regardless of the defensive front. As they did last season, teams will stack the box and make it as difficult as possible to run it. I'm not so sure that continuing to try, when all we are doing is banging our heads against a wall, is the best approach. We need to be able to show defenses that we can pass the ball effectively at any time.

If we can run the ball well, then everything else will come easy. But I agree with Labatt that it may take a good mix of runs and passes on every down to get there.

Labatt's got it right on this one. While I agree with Mark that I'd like to see the Bills run, run again, and then run it some more, that will only work if we are actually successful running the ball. If we try our best to run it as much as possible, but can't get anywhere with it, we end up doing nothing but putting ourselves in 3rd and longs, and that's just a recipe for failure with the way this line pass blocks in obvious passing situations.

Run blocking is definitely more of a strong point (or perhaps I should say less of a weak point) for this offensive line, but I'm not yet convinced that this line can make holes regardless of the defensive front. As they did last season, teams will stack the box and make it as difficult as possible to run it. I'm not so sure that continuing to try, when all we are doing is banging our heads against a wall, is the best approach. We need to be able to show defenses that we can pass the ball effectively at any time.

If we can run the ball well, then everything else will come easy. But I agree with Labatt that it may take a good mix of runs and passes on every down to get there.

11777[/snapback]

I agree ,but I not convinced that this o line can put it together on a concistant bases :D;) I hope they prove me wrong