(OT) Networking question from a dummy

Frez

I have a friend who asked me tonight about networking his home computer with his work computer. He is on a dial up connection. I need some input please.

He wants to be able to access his work computer from home. I'm almost positive this can be done but I have really never messed with networking other then the 3 computers at my home. He is running Windows XP on both computers. I think I have heard of a software program that will do this. Any help would be really appreciated. I could try and hit a search engine on this but I figured I would ask the experts here on this board first.

thanks for your time and help!!!

I have a friend who asked me tonight about networking his home computer with his work computer. He is on a dial up connection. I need some input please.

He wants to be able to access his work computer from home. I'm almost positive this can be done but I have really never messed with networking other then the 3 computers at my home. He is running Windows XP on both computers. I think I have heard of a software program that will do this. Any help would be really appreciated. I could try and hit a search engine on this but I figured I would ask the experts here on this board first.

thanks for your time and help!!!

159123[/snapback]

Go To My PC

Thank you Darin. I have heard of this before but could not think of the name of the program.

159145[/snapback]

He better talk to his IT department first. If it's against policy for him to be able to connect to a work computer, he could be fired. Opening up the PC like this is a MAJOR security violation. I know that we'd fire the person if they were in my company (dealing with SEC filings, etc).

CW

He better talk to his IT department first.  If it's against policy for him to be able to connect to a work computer, he could be fired.  Opening up the PC like this is a MAJOR security violation.  I know that we'd fire the person if they were in my company (dealing with SEC filings, etc).

CW

159151[/snapback]

Fez, he is a Dentist and he owns his own office. Thanks for your concern.

Oh, and by the way........Fez is way to close to Frez. :devil:

Fez, he is a Dentist and he owns his own office. Thanks for your concern.

Oh, and by the way........Fez is way to close to Frez. :devil:

159157[/snapback]

That may actually be even worse -- since he's in the medical field, he needs to worry about HIPPA requirements; he could very well be violating the HIPPA regulations by allowing "unprotected" access to patient data. If that data leaked out, he could be sued out of business.

Something to think about (have I mentioned that computer security is my focus? :lol: ).

BTW -- change your name. :D

CW

That may actually be even worse -- since he's in the medical field, he needs to worry about HIPPA requirements; he could very well be violating the HIPPA regulations by allowing "unprotected" access to patient data.  If that data leaked out, he could be sued out of business.

Something to think about (have I mentioned that computer security is my focus? :devil: ).

BTW -- change your name. :lol:

CW

159181[/snapback]

What do you suggest what's best for him fez?

What do you suggest what's best for him fez?

159185[/snapback]

I'd have to know more about his infrastructure and what he wants to connect to (and what for). What data is stored on the PC he's trying to connect to from home? If there's no patient data (and it's not connected to anything that has patient data either), he's probably fine.

If the PC is in anyway connected to patient data, he'll probably want a VPN (Virtual Private Network) of some sort, which may cost more than he's willing to pay.

Or he can roll the dice and hope for the best.

CW

I'd have to know more about his infrastructure and what he wants to connect to (and what for).  What data is stored on the PC he's trying to connect to from home?  If there's no patient data (and it's not connected to anything that has patient data either), he's probably fine.

If the PC is in anyway connected to patient data, he'll probably want a VPN (Virtual Private Network) of some sort, which may cost more than he's willing to pay.

Or he can roll the dice and hope for the best.

CW

159188[/snapback]

The cost for setting up a VPN? Maybe a ballpark figure?I'm not sure what exactly is on the computer at work, He told me he would like to do more "billing" work from home.

The cost for setting up a VPN? Maybe a ballpark figure?I'm not sure what exactly is on the computer at work, He told me he would like to do more "billing" work from home.

159189[/snapback]

I don't really know the cost offhand. As for whether billing would be a violation of HIPPA if the info got out, I also don't know...

He'd probably be best served to talk to an IT consultant and/or a lawyer, just to cover his butt.

CW

Heres What I would Do

Get 2 watchguard SOHO 6TC's set one up at each site to create a VPN Tunnel. Then run Windows XP Remote Access through the VPN. This will give you double encryption.

the watchguard are about $250 apiece. This Will cover you on the HIPPA requirements also.

I Use this setup to connect 22 sites to my main office and it works pretty slick.

Heres What I would Do

Get 2 watchguard SOHO 6TC's  set one up at each site to create a VPN Tunnel.  Then run Windows XP Remote Access through the VPN.  This will give you double encryption.

the watchguard are about $250 apiece.  This Will cover you on the HIPPA requirements also.

I Use this setup to connect 22 sites to my main office and it works pretty slick.

159224[/snapback]

It's actually not quite that simple. He would have to make sure that HIS PC is 100% secure as well as the machine in the office. If he somehow had some spyware (for example) installed on his home system, connected to his office computer, and the spyware sent patient information abck to the bad guy, he'd be in trouble. If he's a newbie, he probably doesn't patch frequently, doesn't have a firewall (yes, you need one even if you don't have broadband), doesn't clean up spyware, etc. I see a lot of potential for HIPPA violations, therefore I'd recommend talking with an IT consultant and/or a lawyer who is familiar with HIPAA.

Then again, he may feel that the risk is low (and it very well may be), and just do it anyway. He's in BIG trouble if something leaks though...

CW