Pro Football Weekly on McKinnie's woes

dave mcbride

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...m?mode=nfcnorth

Vikings search for explanation for McKinnie’s road woes

Minnesota

If measuring strictly ability, the Vikings know their top offensive lineman is OLT Bryant McKinnie. But McKinnie’s lack of consistency and horrible performances on the road have the Vikings scratching their heads and wondering when “Mount” McKinnie might realize his incredible potential. Heading into Week 14, McKinnie, 25, had surrendered 19 1/2 sacks in the 28 games since his rookie season — shortened to eight games by a contract holdout — after not allowing a single sack in college at Miami (Fla.). Minnesota head coach Mike Tice, a former NFL tight end and OL coach, considered McKinnie a franchise pillar when the Vikings drafted him in 2002. But he struggled with an ankle injury and fatigue last season, and McKinnie admits he is having a lot of trouble performing away from the Metrodome. Even when he has played well, McKinnie has performed below expectations.

McKinnie is certainly accountable for his performance. Guys that make his kind of $$$ should perform up to that level... but now and then many of these guys need a kick in the arse to get them jump started and truly understand what it means to play in the NFL and be a professional.

That said... I gotta believe this guy would perform totally different if the head coach were Tom Coughlin, BIll Cowher, Bill Parcells, or Bill Belichick.

It is my perception, based I what I've observed, that Mike Tice runs a loosey goosey kind of ship. Eveyrbody is buddy buddy... but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discipline or accountability. Randy Moss does what he wants, says what he wants... Culpepper seems to not be a leader... or at least Moss won't let him. Hovan, it appears, has been a problem and it finally took Ted Cotrell to call him out and bench his ass.

So, if this is the environment that Mckinnie lives in, hey, it's easy to get caught up in that loosey goosey stuff and follow the lead. You gotta remember... he's only 25 or so. Also, we were all saying many of the same things about Mike Williams. Williams got his kick in the arse when Mularkey demoted him in the preseason. He also gets mentored by one of the best OL coaches in the game and is beginning to perform like the player he was drafted to be. If Mike Williams were with the Vikings, I think he'd probably perform a lot like McKinnie, simply because the enviroment allows it.

As you can tell... I'm not a fan of Mike Tice.