Better than Blu-Ray?

MattyT

Better than Blu-Ray?

Paul Darbee, a co-founder of the company that created the universal remote control, believes there is. His DarbeeVision process tweaks the image to give the brain the sense that there are greater depth cues in the frame. To do this, DarbeeVision creates two additional images for each frame, adding a type of drop shadow that the brain interprets as greater sharpness.

Does it work? In a demonstration during CES, it definitely did. Looking at the same 1080p moving image on two identical side-by-side LCD displays, identically tuned, the one undergoing the DarbeeVision process was demonstrably sharper, offering a great sense of depth and color saturation. The effect was obvious, not subtle, one that any casual viewer would likely see as well.

Mr. Darbee will sell his DarbeeVision processing technology first via a $1,500 box that sits in a chain between a Blu-ray player and a TV. But don’t worry, the technology will soon be available to the masses. Mr. Darbee acknowledged that the cost of creating the silicon to do the processing was just 18¢. Later this year, many more will be able to afford DarbeeVision; a replacement HDMI cable with the DarbeeVision processing chip embedded in it will sell for about $150. Simply use it to connect the Blu-ray player to your HDTV, and you should be able to see a significant difference in picture quality.
Edited by MattyT

I would argue that this is a bad thing, not a good thing.

My projector has "frame interpolation" mode and while it makes the picture look REAL, it's also very creepy looking. :ph34r:

Artificial sharpening, adding frames, etc, is not usually a good thing. Using the word "better" is also HIGHLY subjective.

You did see the question mark at the end there didn'tcha? ;)

I was referring to the article itself, not your post. :)

I can not have another format to buy Dawn of the Dead on, I just can't

You don't need to -- this isn't a new format, it just upconverts/upscales/interpolates new data into existing movies. There's been devices that do similar things for years, mainly for SD or DVD.