2011 Day Trading Game Thread

Peace

when am i supposed to trade them? it was a fun experiment for a while but i'm cashing out. anyway,thanks for setting this up.

last trade voided. final portfolio value =$10,495. y'all need to beat 4.95% return for the year. bar is set(pretty low).

Don't let me ruin it for you. I am only logged on today because I am home sick. I probably won't check this for another month.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when am i supposed to trade them? it was a fun experiment for a while but i'm cashing out. anyway,thanks for setting this up.

You mistook me. My point is please don't abuse these type of buys. I don't care enough to watch. Jeep the trade. Just don't sell in the day that you see silver bottom out. Basically don't game the system.

And 4.95 is not bad.

You mistook me. My point is please don't abuse these type of buys. I don't care enough to watch. Jeep the trade. Just don't sell in the day that you see silver bottom out. Basically don't game the system.

And 4.95 is not bad.

Question if I may, what prevents someone from doing that in reality. Please excuse my ignorance.

Question if I may, what prevents someone from doing that in reality. Please excuse my ignorance.

some index funds (but not all) have penalties for trading before a set time after the initial buy. if you're buying on a regular basis, you can sell older shares without penalty. that's not an option in this game as the time period is 1 year. one also can not make a trade til after the price for the day is set (they add up the changes in holdings for the day and revalue the fund after the markets close). my move admittedly looked fishy as i had previously owned IXC, a similar energy fund to VGENX, but it's price changes in real time as it is an ETF . in real life, i could have bought IXC midday at a higher price than it opened the day. i would have had to wait to buy VGENX at the end of day price which was likely to be even higher, thus losing the days gain. however, nothing is certain. oil went way up yesterday and both IXC and VGENX were down. i thought it unlikely that would happen 2 days in a row. in fairness, i should have rebought IXC instead of VGENX ....

GAME STATUS POST

Buying:

Buy 0 shares of N/A at N/A

Selling:

Selling 62 shares of AGQ at 197.93 purchased @159.13

Current Portfolio:

Following Buy/Sell above, now holding in portfolio:

0 shares of N/A at N/A

Cash:

$12,405.60

Total Current Value of Portfolio: $12,405.60

Edited by Clip Smith

GAME STATUS POST

Buying:

Selling:

Selling 62 shares of AGQ at 197.93 purchased @159.13

Current Portfolio:

0 shares of N/A at N/A

Cash:

$12,405.60

well played :thumbsup:

well played :thumbsup:

thank you sir!

I don't think I'll be out too long, but with silver at $35 and stops at $200 on the ETF, I figured it was a good round lot to cash in for a while. I would re-enter in the $31.50 to $32.50 range depending how things go. If Gold keeps going to $1500 it should pause, but Silver could be at $38 then.

Wacky stuff going on.

• 2 weeks later...

GAME STATUS POST

Selling:

Sell 0 shares of N/A at N/A

Buying:

Buy 8000 shares of CRYP at 0.85

Current Portfolio:

8000 shares of CRYP at 0.85

Cash:

$ 5605.60

• 2 weeks later...

GAME STATUS POST

Selling:

Sell 8000 shares of CRYP at 0.95

for proceeds of 7600.00

Buying:

Current Portfolio:

0 shares of N/A at N/A

Cash:

$ 13,205.60

Total Current Value of Portfolio: $13,205.60

• 2 weeks later...

GAME STATUS POST

Selling:

Buying:

Buy 350 shares of SDOW at 33.15

Current Portfolio:

350 shares of SDOW at 33.15

value $11,602.50

Cash:

$ 1,603.10

Total Current Value of Portfolio: $13,205.60

Edited by Clip Smith

• 4 weeks later...

AGQ at $344 today and clipsmith bought at $159!!! was there a better widely available bet at the time? i don't think so. wow.

Great, I feel like Sandra Bullock's junior high boyfriend.

Now it's in Hunt Brothers territory. Or maybe today it's the Chan Brothers.

Silver is golden- I find it interesting that there seems to be a pattern of it rising quite fast in the wee hours then declining in the afternoon.

i wouldn't mind a 30+% return in 5 months any less than i'd have minded being sandra bullocks high school boyfriend. both deserve bragging rights.

Silver is golden- I find it interesting that there seems to be a pattern of it rising quite fast in the wee hours then declining in the afternoon.

Thats mainly because of volumes and short-covering. These guys in Asia and Europe wake up and say holy ****! I got to cover my shorts and BAM! prices spike even further, then it gets here to the U.S and people begin to take profits and then you start seeing it head back up higher again.

These sort of parabolic movements usually end badly for the average investor in leveraged positions. I'm currently not buying any silver for my clients now and am now beginning to trim positions by half and will look to continue shed off more as it moves higher.

I picked the right business to be in :)

and btw great job clip :thumbsup:

my actual portfolio is roughly about the same for the year, maybe a tad higher %wise , but in the same ballpark.

And I seem to remember having a bet with billsfan last September that Gold would reach $1500 by June, he was taking the other side of the bet.

Edited by Magox

GAME STATUS POST

Selling:

Sell 350 shares of SDOW at 30.54

Buying:

Current Portfolio:

Cash:

$ 12,292.10

Total Current Value of Portfolio: $12,292.10

Coming back to the pack!

GAME STATUS POST

Selling:

Buying:

Buy 47 shares of AGQ at 258.00

Current Portfolio:

62 shares of AGQ at 258.00 @12,126

Cash:

$ 166.10

Total Current Value of Portfolio: $12,292.10

China will be stepping in soon

These sort of parabolic movements usually end badly for the average investor in leveraged positions. I'm currently not buying any silver for my clients now and am now beginning to trim positions by half and will look to continue shed off more as it moves higher.

I picked the right business to be in :)

Silver was at $49 this day...

My clients love me :beer:

Will be looking to add soon as soon as the knife stops falling.

Edited by Magox

Silver was at $49 this day...

My clients love me :beer:

Will be looking to add soon as soon as the knife stops falling.

Do you hold physical or paper? Physical has decoupled from paper in a lot of this. The mint can't coin fast enough and premiums are almost 20% now with this fall.

The sad reality is it's back where it was 2 months ago! Oil is interesting too. Long term you want in both of these....you are just playing with the devil using margin.