Looking at top 5 picks since 2004...

dayman

Yeah, Quinn looks like someone we need to stay away from. Wide loops to the QB speed rushing the likes of Duke and Virginia...Maybin 2.0 if you ask me.

Not as much stuff on Dareus as I'd like there to watch...Fairley looks great. I could get excited about him. He looks the best to me. Bowers looks better than Quinn but I wouldn't say I'm completely sold. Fairley looks like he could have an impact immediately. Stick him next to Kyle Williams....then w/ the second and third round continue to take LBs...

Agreed on Fairley

Edited by DrDankenstein

In terms of actual production this year:

Fairely (has yet to play bowl game)

TOT SOLO AST SACK

55 31 24 11

Bowers

TOT SOLO AST SACK

67 41 26 16

Dareus

TOT SOLO AST SACK

33 20 13 5

Ndamukong Suh (last year in college)

TOT SOLO AST SACK

82 47 35 12

Mario Williams (in 2005 coming out of college)

TOT SOLO AST SACK

57 28 29 14

Bowers seems to be incredibly productive from the DE spot and Fairly has an impressive amount of sacks and tackles from the DT spot working in the SEC...

Bowers is had a better season in the ACC than Mario Williams ever did...

Edited by dayman

Just kinda wondering since we play 3-4 what would be the point of taking a dt since we got kyle williams unless there going to move the rookie or williams to de?

Well I don't know what's up with the 3-4 if it's for sure our only thing or what but we still have no LBers so I don't understand insisting on running it exclusively. But Williams would be a beast of a 3-4 DT if Dareus or Fairley went in the middle. Bowers would be a MUCH MUCH welcome addition to our pass rush and would play the run hard opposite Merriman also.

We have to stop the run which Dareus may help us the most with. But we need to rush the passer which is Bowers forte. Fairley seems to be able to help out w/ both...

The more I think about it though we may have to hope Troup and Carrington get more stout and go w/ them and Williams and S. Johnson inside and take Bowers. This guy has speed and power, and is a possible 10 sack a year guy who could also play a mean OLB opposite Merriman. If we want to become the next blitzing 3-4 team...putting Bowers next to Merriman and hoping the bulk we got last draft pans out seems to be the way to go correct?

Edited by dayman

Here's a good break down of Bowers against a good Fla. St. line that controlled both Florida and South Carolina (two SEC teams/defensive fronts). Florida state has ponder out so you can see Bowers control his guy and contain rush well, as opposed to just flying out of control. He lines up in all different spots too. He makes a few great plays including an insane interception.

I guess I kinda forgot that this thread was mainly about DLman and how they will produce in the NFL, so here we go.

Fairly>Dareus. Fairly is much stronger and meanier and it shows. He doesn’t seems to be as quick but that’s fine with me as stouter is better. Just look at Suh v McCoy last year. Suh was the physcal beast that can dominate on any level. McCoy is a bit weaker and his speed was nuetralized. Dareus has one obviously flaw that I have seen and its shedding blocks once he is engaged. This could haunt him at the next level because he wont be able to fly around or between people like he does for Bama. This is the same obvious weakness Maybin had just to a much lesser degree.

Bowers is a game changer too. People think of him as a 43 DE only and a pure pass rusher but his strength is obviously his rush defense. He could play in a “true” 43 as a big 2 gap DE like the Raiders use, but I think he would be at his best in a 3-4 playing DE. He is not too small to do this he is 6’4’’ 285+ with the frame to add30lbs if he wanted. Quinn looks really Demacuse Ware esq but I havent seen him live so I cant form any real opinion on him. Claiborne is awesome ut out of shape and I don’t like out of shape players. He could easily bust and eat himself out of the league, which will be hard to predict.

A fair assessment all the way through, Thoner... I would add that reasons for taking Fairley even over Dareus (whom I covet) is that we need "inside push" more than "outside edge holding", and we need it every down. I say no to Bowers cuz he just wouldn't be in there on running downs.