Real Sports Journalist or Internet Poster

Bills99999

I am planning a career change here in a couple years and I think I have what it takes to be a legitamate sports print journalist. I did not major in journalism. but I has always done real good in English and my sports knowledge about every sport but soccer is unmatched by almost anybody on TSW

I am not trying to brag I am just trying to be confident and I hope you guys will offer me encouagement

Edited by Bills99999

but I has always done real good in English and my sports knowledge about every sport but soccer is unmatched by almost anybody on TSW

I am not trying to brag I am just trying to be confident and I hope you guys will offer me encouagement

Once you get your GED and proper soccer credentials, I'll think about encouraging you, sparky.

I am planning a career change here in a couple years and I think I have what it takes to be a legitamate sports print journalist. I did not major in journalism. but I has always done real good in English and my sports knowledge about every sport but soccer is unmatched by almost anybody on TSW

Start blogging, NOW.

Get a twitter account, start tweeting ALL THE TIME.

Start a podcast.

Find ways to intern, and expect to do so for FREE.

Learn to spell the words "legitimate" and "encouragement."

And don't plan on anyone paying you until you've done all the aforementioned for at least two or three years. In fact, figure out your own way to make money that doesn't involve being hired by any already existing media outlet. There are thousands of trained, and previously employed journalists out there that will get the job before your resume even makes it out of the "may be" pile, assuming your resume is even worth anyone's time to begin with.

/honesty

The career of journalism isn't what it used to be. That said those who became columnists usually had to work their way up the ladder to get that plum job. The idea was that those who would write opinions would base them on a body of knowledge and connections gained over years. Unfortunately in more than a few cases those jobs went to cynical blowhards with an ax to grind.

On the other extreme are the bloggers. There is no degree or license required. A computer and a webpage is all you need. Some bloggers are great. Some of you know I'm a big fan of Coach Sal. The guy has a football background and breaks down what the Bills do rather than just goes off on a mindless rant. Then there are posers like Pat Moran at BuffaloSportsDaily.com. I don't know him personally but my sense of him is he is a wannabe who "reports" what other sites and reporters say and acts like he's some kind of legit journalist.

So yeah, in 2011 there probably isn't much separating the pros from the amateurs except for access. Teams only grant access to media they consider legitimate. It's very hard, if not near impossible, for a blogger to get big-league media credentials. There's a number of reasons. One, there is only so much room for media at One Bills Drive. Two, where do you draw the line with people who can literally show up one day and say they are the press? And three, NFL credentials make you legitimate so they are not about to let any knucklehead into the club.

PTR

And if Peter King shows up, his ego and butt take up at least two more seats.

You went to school with Leo Roth -- he's no spring chicken, so I'm thinking this is a pretty late career change for you. Big Cat is right - expect to be criticized harshly, to work for free and bust your hump...which can be tough unless you are independently wealthy.

Of course, now I'm wondering if you are actually Leo Roth, and having some fun by saying you "has always done real good in English."

If you are in fact Leo Roth, please take note:

The pseudo-poignant one sentence paragraph.

Or sentence fragment.

To end an article.

Is overused.

And trite.

Start blogging, NOW.

Get a twitter account, start tweeting ALL THE TIME.

Start a podcast.

Find ways to intern, and expect to do so for FREE.

Learn to spell the words "legitimate" and "encouragement."

And don't plan on anyone paying you until you've done all the aforementioned for at least two or three years. In fact, figure out your own way to make money that doesn't involve being hired by any already existing media outlet. There are thousands of trained, and previously employed journalists out there that will get the job before your resume even makes it out of the "may be" pile, assuming your resume is even worth anyone's time to begin with.

/honesty

I am not looking to be some fly by night internet sports writer, I want to be involved first in print media with The Buffalo news and work my way into national publications and ESBN

I am not big on that blog and twitter stuff and I dont know how to do it. I had to ask my son to help me set up my TSW account

Do you own a mirror?

Huh?

You went to school with Leo Roth -- he's no spring chicken, so I'm thinking this is a pretty late career change for you. Big Cat is right - expect to be criticized harshly, to work for free and bust your hump...which can be tough unless you are independently wealthy.

Of course, now I'm wondering if you are actually Leo Roth, and having some fun by saying you "has always done real good in English."

If you are in fact Leo Roth, please take note:

The pseudo-poignant one sentence paragraph.

Or sentence fragment.

To end an article.

Is overused.

And trite.

I am not him, and I have not seen him since 1975 and a wild, drunken graduation party