Byrd against the run

l< j

Am I right in thinking that Byrd has really come on as a run defender? I thought that was a deficiency in his game before, but he has made some plays that stood out (forced fumble vs Browns, had a key stop against phins).

Maybe not much of a sample. More a casual impression than a careful observation. I remember how the coverage after the Browns game talked about the fumble being the result of careful film study.

Any of you more knowledgeable folks able to corroborate, or contradict?

There was an article a few weeks ago pointing out that Gailey was happy with his improvement in the run game, and I think Byrd was quoted as saying that he felt like the angles he was taking against the run were much improved. Would have to look for the link though.

Seeing how he's played this year I think he'd be a good option to replace Donte at SS and let Wilson play FS. Id rather keep Donte, but if they can't, Byrd seems better closer to the line of scrimage and Wilson appears to be a more consistent ballhawk.

Seeing how he's played this year I think he'd be a good option to replace Donte at SS and let Wilson play FS. Id rather keep Donte, but if they can't, Byrd seems better closer to the line of scrimage and Wilson appears to be a more consistent ballhawk.

Yeah I know Wilson hade what 9 ints last year

Edited by JayD

Yeah I know Wilson hade what 9 ints last year

Byrd had a great year last year. But his stat line was a little deceiving. A lot of his picks were on gross over throws. In college he had a number of picks so I figured he just had a nose for the ball and that would continue this year. The reality is though he has 0 picks in 14 games this year, and when you watch him play he is taking horrible angles in pass defense and seems to only be looking for the tackle not the ball. Watch the next two games, you'll see how he doesn't keep his head up to locate the ball in the air. He also spends far too much time with his back to the Qb for a centerfield. This could be schematic, and if so DC Edwards is to blame, but right now Bryd is basically playing SS from the FS.

And for what it's worth, Wilson is no slouch in the INT department. Last year Wilson had 4 ints and 2 sacks. In more limited playing time this year, Wilson has still managed 2 INTs.

Edited by DC Grid

It will be quite interesting to see how these Safety positions are filled next season.

I have read more than one quote about Byrd getting bulked up a little. I am guessing he is in development and his play is mostly coaches direction right now. As in "Let nothing get past you for now. keep the play in front of you as if you are the Last man to beat, and you better not get beat!"

Also as the front 7 continue to improve our ints etc will rise beacuse the last many games we have to continue learning to stop the run.

I still like the kid and he has made a couple of those hits lately to remind the offenses that he Can tackle.

imho of course