Airport INsecurity

truth on hold

Proof of what....? :unsure:

Yes, I have proof that I pay the airline for a ticket to get from point A to point B, the airline employee takes my bag and makes sure it gets to my destination. Whatever happens after the fact doesn't matter to me as a customer, because I have already entrusted the airline with my bag.

As I said, "in essence, they subcontract."

Legally binding? Who knows until you take 'em to court. But that's how it is from a logical perspective.

I agree with this. You dont sign individual contracts with the airline and the baggage handlers. Your ticket is purchased with the airline only, Anyway, at least at the initial discussion, the airline agrees as they indicated they would reimburse once they went thru their proper lost and found procedure (which of course will turn up nothing since the box isn't missing, just the contents inside.)

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Essentially, here is the difference between the way I see things, and the way you and the OP see things.

I am fully ready to take responsibility for my actions. If I do something stupid (like putting wrapped presents or expensive items in my checked luggage) then I am willing to accept responsibility for my stupidity and not TRY TO BLAME SOMEONE ELSE when they get stolen. The OP should have known not to put these items in his checked luggage. If the perpetrator can be identified, then have them arrested/prosecuted but don't expect the airlines to pay or talk about running to the media to have them run a story on theft from luggage. Like they don't know about it, and that the rest of america might be shocked....

To qoute from Casablanca

"I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here."

Are you saying that anytime you check a bag you should expect you will be robbed? What does it matter what how expensive the items are? What if you checked a bag and someone stole 6 of your shirts and a pair of shoes? Are you still an idiot for checking them? Is anyone who ever dares to put anything into a checked bag an idiot an it's just "C'est la vie!" if stuff gets stolen?

Pretty cavalier, IMO...

Essentially, here is the difference between the way I see things, and the way you and the OP see things.

I am fully ready to take responsibility for my actions. If I do something stupid (like putting wrapped presents or expensive items in my checked luggage) then I am willing to accept responsibility for my stupidity and not TRY TO BLAME SOMEONE ELSE when they get stolen. The OP should have known not to put these items in his checked luggage. If the perpetrator can be identified, then have them arrested/prosecuted but don't expect the airlines to pay or talk about running to the media to have them run a story on theft from luggage. Like they don't know about it, and that the rest of america might be shocked....

To qoute from Casablanca

You continue to have some vendetta against me, rife with name calling and insults ("idiot, insane, stupidity, etc.") And you wonder why your posts got deleted? How about taking RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS?

Keeping in form, you fail to put it into context, but trolls are like that. There were 15 bags, due to timing i didn't have the option of shipping or using carry-on as my hands were full with even more valuable items. I was aware of some risk, but never in my wildest dreams imagined they would be so bold and have so much time to go thru all 15 wrapped packages, which included removing the wrapping paper and opening unmarked plain brown boxes secured with duct tape.

You're back to your same old "hey it's not the rapists fault the chick wore a skirt, when she could have used a full burka." Damn, hate to be your daughter.

You also fail to acknowledge the broader flight security risk by having people this corrupt and bold with special access to what goes in baggage compartments.

So in that case it would be "hey it's not the terrorists fault, terrorism happens. It's the passengers for flying in the first place." Double damn, hate to be anyone you're responsible for.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Are you saying that anytime you check a bag you should expect you will be robbed? What does it matter what how expensive the items are? What if you checked a bag and someone stole 6 of your shirts and a pair of shoes? Are you still an idiot for checking them? Is anyone who ever dares to put anything into a checked bag an idiot an it's just "C'est la vie!" if stuff gets stolen?

Pretty cavalier, IMO...

Now your spinning my words. If you put your clothes in your checked baggage, no one will steal them. If you put your laptop in your checked luggage there is a good chance it will be gone. Not saying it's right, just saying only an idiot puts valuable items in their checked bags.

I try to never check a bag. Carry it on, or ship it ahead. I went on a major climbing expedition in the mid 90's. Hundreds of pounds of climbing equipment, I shipped all of it in advance because I was not going to chance not having the gear at my destination. I figured, only an idiot would put $1000's of dollars worth of climbing equipment in thier checked bags...........

You continue to have some vendetta against me, rife with name calling and insults ("idiot, insane, stupidity, etc.") And you wonder why your posts got deleted? How about taking RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS?

Keeping in form, you fail to put it into context, but trolls are like that. There were 15 bags, due to timing i didn't have the option of shipping or using carry-on as my hands were full with even more valuable items. I was aware of some risk, but never in my wildest dreams imagined they would be so bold and have so much time to go thru all 15 wrapped packages, which included removing the wrapping paper and opening unmarked plain brown boxes secured with duct tape.

You're back to your same old :"hey it's not the rapists fault the chick wore a skirt when she could have used a full burka." Damn, hate to be your daughter.

You also fail to acknowledge the broader flight security risk by having people this corrupt and bold with special access to what goes in baggage compartments.

So in that case it would be "hey it's not the terrorists fault, terrorism happens. It's the passengers for flying in the first place." Double damn, hate to be anyone you're responsible for.

Again, all I'm saying is don't put valuable items in checked bags. Especially items that are wrapped. It's like having a beacon on your bag saying "valuable stuff steal from me."

I'm sorry you lost your stuff. I'm sorry that the world has bad people in it. I'm sorry that you were forced to do this and it didn't turn out okay.

It is just a bulletin board after all.........

Comparing a baggage thief to a terrorist and a rapist is so appropriate........

Also, if these were Christmas presents, why couldn't you ship them? Christmas is still a couple of days away. Also, I think you already said you didn't want to be inconvenienced or have to pay for shipping.

Just calling them like I see them.

Nice to know you can get posts deleted when you don't like them. Essentially, you can say what you want, but everyone else has to get through your censor.

Edited by BB27

Now your spinning my words. If you put your clothes in your checked baggage, no one will steal them. If you put your laptop in your checked luggage there is a good chance it will be gone. Not saying it's right, just saying only an idiot puts valuable items in their checked bags.

I try to never check a bag. Carry it on, or ship it ahead. I went on a major climbing expedition in the mid 90's. Hundreds of pounds of climbing equipment, I shipped all of it in advance because I was not going to chance not having the gear at my destination. I figured, only an idiot would put $1000's of dollars worth of climbing equipment in thier checked bags...........

I'm not spinning your words. I understand you didn't say that.

What I'm asking is why does it matter? What if some baggage thrower decides he likes your 6 polo shirts? Are you still going to say "Screw it, I shouldn't have checked them."

I agree it isn't wise to check expensive items and it's not something I would do. You indicated that if such an item gets stolen it's your own fault. I'm just curious if you take the same attitude towards all items, regardless of value.

Again, all I'm saying is don't put valuable items in checked bags. Especially items that are wrapped. It's like having a beacon on your bag saying "valuable stuff steal from me."

I'm sorry you lost your stuff. I'm sorry that the world has bad people in it. I'm sorry that you were forced to do this and it didn't turn out okay.

It is just a bulletin board after all.........

Comparing a baggage thief to a terrorist and a rapist is so appropriate........

Also, if these were Christmas presents, why couldn't you ship them? Christmas is still a couple of days away. Also, I think you already said you didn't want to be inconvenienced or have to pay for shipping.

Just calling them like I see them.

it's your general argument, not mine, You already extended it to gambling. Having an issue with that "take responsibility for my actions" thing again. But hey trolls are like that. And btw theft of $1,000 is generally a felony. And yes terrorism very much applies here given the proximity to baggage compartments.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

it's your general argument, not mine, You already extended it to gambling. Having an issue with that "take responsibility for my actions" thing again. But then again trolls are like that.And btw theft of $1,000 is generally a felony. And yes terrorism very much applies here given the proximity to baggage compartments.

Did you know that TSA can open any wrapped package contained in your checked baggage?

Did you also know that electronic items should not be packed in your checked luggage?

Packing an electronic device in your checked luggage almost guarantees that TSA will physically inspect your bag. They see wires on the xray, they open your bag.

All of this information is available on the TSA website, did you check that out before you decided to fly?

Call me what you want.

The reference to gambling was a qoute from the movie CASABLANCA and it was meant to draw a correlation between your statement that you were running to the media because they would probably be shocked that someone who put expensive items in checked baggage had them stolen.

Shocked that there is gambling going on in casablanca.

Shocked that someone would steal your expensive items you put in your checked bags.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. Casablanca is a great movie IMO.

Edited by BB27

Did you know that TSA can open any wrapped package contained in your checked baggage?

Did you also know that electronic items should not be packed in your checked luggage?

Packing an electronic device in your checked luggage almost guarantees that TSA will physically inspect your bag. They see wires on the xray, they open your bag.

All of this information is available on the TSA website, did you check that out before you decided to fly?

Call me what you want.

How does that account for opening all 15 packages? What about electronic devices like shavers, hairdryers and clocks? Does the TSA also have the authority to steal?

Your actions identify the name that applies. You earned it, troll.

How does that account for opening all 15 packages? What about electronic devices like shavers, hairdryers and clocks? Does the TSA also have the authority to steal?

Why no response to my question about you censoring posts you don't like?

Call me what you want.

The reference to gambling was a qoute from the movie CASABLANCA and it was meant to draw a correlation between your statement that you were running to the media because they would probably be shocked that someone who put expensive items in checked baggage had them stolen.

Shocked that there is gambling going on in casablanca.

Shocked that someone would steal your expensive items you put in your checked bags.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. Casablanca is a great movie IMO.

nice attempt at spin, but even accepting it wouldnt get you off the hook. Should rape and terrorism not be reported either, because hey we all know it happens? And please show me the statement where I said the "media would be shocked." Playing loose and fast with the facts again, troll.

nice attempt at spin, but even accepting it wouldnt get you off the hook. Should rape and terrorism not be reported either, because hey we all know it happens? And please show me the statement where I said the "media would be shocked." Playing loose and fast with the facts again, troll.

Again, you totally missed the point . . . . . . . . .

Hurry up and get out your censor pen......

Why no response to my question about you censoring posts you don't like?

Im not a mod, take it up with them. But why no response about something important like the terror threat from bold low lifes handling baggage?

I continue to await you citing the quote where I said "the media would be shocked" ** crickets **

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Also, once they open your bag to look for the electronic components, they are going to go through everything. Clocks and hairdryers aren't usually wrapped.

Never said TSA took your stuff, you did. I posted that I bet it was the throwers. You know that they are probably watching TSA go through the bags......

Edited by BB27

Also, once they open your bag to look for the electronic components, they are going to go through everything. Clocks and hairdryers aren't usually wrapped.

Never said TSA took your stuff, you did. I posted that I bet it was the throwers. You know that they are probably watching TSA go through the bags......

Didnt use "TSA" in the OP. Distinctions were then made btw TSA and handlers, fair enough. But still the whole process is disturbing.

Now back to you, please comment on the relevance here to low lifes handling baggage and terror. Also, please cite where I said the "media would be shocked" ** crickets **

Remember, you always have your fall back theme of "don't expect to get direct responses from a troll when they're called out, because hey we all know they're out there." Actually some truth in that one.

Im not a mod, take it up with them. But why no response about something important like the terror threat from bold low lifes handling baggage?

I continue to await you citing the quote where I said "the media would be shocked" ** crickets **

You said you were going to go to the media. I laughed at that since it seems to be a pretty silly story, and even joked that it would make you look bad (censored/deleted posts). I agree, there are serious security issues with people who have access to aircraft. Security is just a smokescreen to make the sheep feel like they are being protected. Hopefully you already know this.

I love the fact that because I don't agree with you, my posts get deleted/censored, and then you call me a troll. This makes your actions (right or wrong) a ok!

Fine, go to the airline and try to get your stuff paid for. I am sorry you lost your stuff, and maybe I have been a bit harsh.....

If I was you, I would file a report with the NY/NJ Port Authority PD. They probably stand a better chance of catching the person who did it. They might even know who is doing it.

Oh yeah,

Merry Christmas, but I will definately have something to say during the FESTIVUS airing of the grievances.....

Edited by BB27

You said you were going to go to the media. I laughed at that since it seems to be a pretty silly story, and even joked that it would make you look bad (censored/deleted posts). I agree, there are serious security issues with people who have access to aircraft. Security is just a smokescreen to make the sheep feel like they are being protected. Hopefully you already know this.

Fine, go to the airline and try to get your stuff paid for. I am sorry you lost your stuff, and maybe I have been a bit harsh.....

If I was you, I would file a report with the NY/NJ Port Authority PD. They probably stand a better chance of catching the person who did it. They might even know who is doing it.

Oh yeah,

Merry Christmas, but I will definately have something to say during the FESTIVUS airing of the grievances.....

Actually it was other posters who suggested I should. I said I'd consider it. Prove to me otherwise. Darned, if this

doesn't keep following you.

Enjoy your trolling.

To qoute from Casablanca

Ok, I thought you had said you were just fooling around before, but this leads me to believe you arent.

So you, as whatever type of law enforcement officer you are, blame the victim for the crime. That is what you are stating here.

A store owner should not be surprised when they get robbed because, heck, that's what you get for keeping cash in the cash register.

Someone steals my car, and that's what I get for parking it on the street.

This is what you are really saying? :unsure:

Sorry, but a crime is a crime, and it IS someone's fault in this case. We, the customer, are paying for a service and the employees are robbing from people. It's not like a bag has been completely lost due to an accident. This is premeditated, planned, and fairly professional. IMO, BOTH the Airline and Airport should share responsibility in this. SOMEONE has to be. And not just the victim.

Actually it was other posters who suggested I should. I said I'd consider it. Prove to me otherwise. Darned, if this sound doesn't keep following you.

Enjoy your trolling.

This your post:

The issue I'd have with going public (although Im seriously considering it), is the airline itself has been good to me over the years. When I contacted their lost and found they seemed amenable to reimbursing me and Emailed me a claim form. They indicated they've been having a lot of problems with the Newark airport, and part of this stems from the baggage handlers working for the airport and not the airline. Again, this airport is in the heart of Jets country, literally a mile or two from the stadium as the crow flies ...

If I decide to go public, what should I do? Send an Email to various news sources?

Again, call me what you want. . . . . . . .

I love the fact that because I don't agree with you, my posts get deleted/censored, and then you call me a troll. This makes your actions (right or wrong) a ok!

More likely it was for the name calling than it was for the simple disagreement. But I see you have some sort of history with Joe, so good luck in the pissing match.

This your post:

The issue I'd have with going public (although Im seriously considering it), is the airline itself has been good to me over the years. When I contacted their lost and found they seemed amenable to reimbursing me and Emailed me a claim form. They indicated they've been having a lot of problems with the Newark airport, and part of this stems from the baggage handlers working for the airport and not the airline. Again, this airport is in the heart of Jets country, literally a mile or two from the stadium as the crow flies ...

If I decide to go public, what should I do? Send an Email to various news sources?

Again, call me what you want. . . . . . . .

Correct, as it was in response from others suggesting I ought to, like I said. It's all there in thread. You earned it troll.

As a law enforcement official, you truly ought to be ashamed of yourself for cheapening a thread about felony theft and airline safety.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack