Ex-Bills participate in the Connect to Home Bowl

I think this is just a great thing these former NFL players do for our troops. Especially during the holiday season. I remember the loneliness, the first year I served so many miles away from home at Christmastime. I hope this game brings "home" a little closer to these guys and gals of our Armed Forces if only for a brief moment.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/12/02/the-greatest-bowl-game-youll-never-see/?icid=main%7Cverizon%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk3%7C188632

"Former Buffalo Bills and Miami Hurricanes quarterback Jim Kelly says that part of his motivation for wanting to play in the 2010 game is his family's history with the armed forces. His father was in the Navy and his uncles served in the Army."

"When I see a military guy in the airport or wherever, I go up and thank them," Kelly said. "I understand that we would not have the country we have today if it wasn't for people going over and defending us."

and this: "Players like Peete and Kelly understand that going overseas without any information as to where they'll be going or how long they'll stay there is a necessary part of the experience, but Kelly's daughters and wife, while proud of his participation, have expressed some anxiety over him traveling under such vague auspices."

"My wife's a little concerned, but she's also very excited," he said. He has assured them that the bases are incredibly secure and he'll be safe. Peete's wife, who has served on the CNN Heroes Blue Ribbon Panel and is active in several charities, had no such qualms. "You've got to run everything by the wife," Peete said, "but she was the first one to say, 'You've got to go. You've got to do this.' There are some people over there putting their lives in harm's way on a daily basis. An opportunity to go over there and say thank you first hand and look them in the eye is the least I can do."

Edited by LancasterSteve