Toronto Series Thoughts

epper

Hey guys. Long-time lurker, first time poster. Thought I would share my thoughts on the game yesterday:

I scored free tickets to the game yesterday through a friend ($225 face value, corner endzone....like anyone in their right mind would pay that). The capacity crowd really surprised me considering the Bills are 0'fer, the Bears are a mess, and outside the Leafs, Toronto is known for its fairweather fans. I go to 1 or 2 games in Orchard Park per year, and this was much different, to say the least. In my estimation it was 50% People with no rooting interest at all - 35% Bears Fans - 15% Bills Fans.

Truly a crowd you'd never see in Buffalo:

- People didn't know when to cheer, when to be loud on 3rd down,

- The guy in front of me was in a Burberry pea coat and spent most of the game on his Blackberry checking his Facebook. His woman-friend was wearing 4" stilettos.

- Tons of kids under the age of 10 (The Ralph is no place for a kid)

This experiment has truly been a disaster. I'm from St. Catharines (about halfway between Toronto and Buffalo), but I hope and pray Toronto never gets an NFL franchise (especially the Bills!). On the bright side, I also have tickets to this weeks game vs. the Lions. A real, true Bills game with tailgating, rowdy but knowledgeable fans, open-air stadium, and with a little luck, our first W.

Edited by epper

And if your post wasn't enough.... further proof that the game in Toronto appears to be a complete disaster of an experience.

To be fair, most of those things are common in any stadium and any sport.

He tried going into the stadium 4 hours before kickoff? Why?

He's complaining that a tshirt is $13 at the stadium?

He didn't even attempt to tailgate.

Guy sounds like a whiner.

No, he's not whining. He's trying to illustrate the point that there was nothing for him to do. It was hilarious, i thought.

Nothing to do... Except for the tailgate that he didn't want to go to.

Can you go into any other stadium 4-6 hours before kickoff? No.

We all knew this was just a money grab and now it's apparent. Toronto isn't a football town but its a football "market". Cash is king my friends. From a business standpoint, it's been a huge success.

Also, to your point about the Ralph not being for kids? It SHOULD BE. But the Ralph has become a cesspool of idiots looking to get wasted in the parking lot before a game and start fights with opposing team fans inside. Yes, I know this likely isn't any of us, but your kids should feel safe at a freaking football game. The Bills need as many fans (esp young ones) they can get as 30 somethings like me get more apathetic every year with this joke of an owner and front office.

Have fun at the detroit game, I'm not sure the Ralph would ever be confused for "rowdy" in this battle of goliaths. You're looking at 45,000 people or so max and a whole lot of brown bags. BUT you might get some decent weather.

I think the Southern Ontario and Toronto market is something that cannot be ignored. But that being said, I have many Canadian friends/family who enjoy coming to Buffalo for the game day experience as it is something new and different. People need to understand that from Hamilton Ontario and south of Hamilton you have over 1 million people/potential fans. Fans can go to the games as it is affordable. A Toronto team would do nothing for these people as it would be way overpriced so they can make a day of coming to Buffalo, going to the game etc...

There are plenty of ways to market to that region and not play a game there. Have players go to Southern Ontario schools, commercials at local businesses in Ontario with the Bills going on the radio stations there and so forth. The Bills could offer discounted transportation for businesses/groups if they rent a suite for 2-3 games a year.

Something I have said for a long time now is that the one thing this series does show is that Toronto NEEDS a new stadium if they want an NFL team and that is not going to happen, on top of paying close to $1B for a team and a relocation fee of $6-700M to the NFL and then build a $1B stadium.

I hate these games with a passion/ Listening on TV and Radio makes it sound like a football game in church. Plus scanning the stands clearly more bears, jets and pats fans than Bills fans by far. I saw one dude in a team canada jersey and a Steelers hat. We have lost home field advantage on this series and it sucks. BTW the home games for the Bills of late seem to be the same a bunch of folks sitting around not truely a 12th man anymore

I hate these games with a passion/ Listening on TV and Radio makes it sound like a football game in church. Plus scanning the stands clearly more bears, jets and pats fans than Bills fans by far. I saw one dude in a team canada jersey and a Steelers hat. We have lost home field advantage on this series and it sucks. BTW the home games for the Bills of late seem to be the same a bunch of folks sitting around not truely a 12th man anymore

I agree and the venue is horrible. Even if you had 50k Bills fans there and only 5k Bears fans it would be terrible atmosphere. The stadium is not a football stadium. And we did give away 5 home games. Luckily this game meant nothing but if this becomes a game next year where the Bills are say, 4-4 and fighting for a playoff spot then it makes fans even more upset.

I think the Southern Ontario and Toronto market is something that cannot be ignored. But that being said, I have many Canadian friends/family who enjoy coming to Buffalo for the game day experience as it is something new and different. People need to understand that from Hamilton Ontario and south of Hamilton you have over 1 million people/potential fans. Fans can go to the games as it is affordable. A Toronto team would do nothing for these people as it would be way overpriced so they can make a day of coming to Buffalo, going to the game etc...

There are plenty of ways to market to that region and not play a game there. Have players go to Southern Ontario schools, commercials at local businesses in Ontario with the Bills going on the radio stations there and so forth. The Bills could offer discounted transportation for businesses/groups if they rent a suite for 2-3 games a year.

Something I have said for a long time now is that the one thing this series does show is that Toronto NEEDS a new stadium if they want an NFL team and that is not going to happen, on top of paying close to $1B for a team and a relocation fee of $6-700M to the NFL and then build a $1B stadium.

your suggestions all make perfect sense except for one thing...they don't result in wilson pocketing an extra $80 million. that's what this series is really about.