Some actual x and o analysis

This is the only place I know of where you can find acutal game film. This describes perfectly why the Bills can't stop the run, and why they're trying the 4-3

http://www.nfl.com/v...n-get-first-win

Great link... All the Poz haters should watch that KC game. I think he is just getting back to 100% from the groin thing.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Torbor was guessing, probably from a pre-snap read due to something they saw on film during the week probably from the formation and motion, on that one play where he got caught inside. I would have liked for Sterling to explain the key Kelsay is supposed to be reading. Most likely he is reading the release of the TE, who releases as though he is going out for a pass and is in man coverage on him so is supposed to stay with him, similar to a WR running off a corner. It was probably setup by an earlier play and if he watches the backfield action and it's a play-action pass we are talking about how bad he got burned in coverage on that play. The bottom line is we need more talented players who don't have to guess in order to make a play and can recover when his post snap reads are disguised.

Torbor was guessing, probably from a pre-snap read due to something they saw on film during the week probably from the formation and motion, on that one play where he got caught inside. I would have liked for Sterling to explain the key Kelsay is supposed to be reading. Most likely he is reading the release of the TE, who releases as though he is going out for a pass and is in man coverage on him so is supposed to stay with him, similar to a WR running off a corner. It was probably setup by an earlier play and if he watches the backfield action and it's a play-action pass we are talking about how bad he got burned in coverage on that play. The bottom line is we need more talented players who don't have to guess in order to make a play and can recover when his post snap reads are disguised.

1 . Toby was going opposite of the motion. What are you talking about.

2. It's not a TE it's Brylon Edwards and there is a corner right next to him.

Not really understanding why you're defending horrible play.

Poz is the one defenfendable he is covering the A gap. And yes this has been posted before.

Poz is the one defenfendable he is covering the A gap. And yes this has been posted before.

I didn't defend anything, I summed that up with the final sentence of my post. But to answer your snarky questions:

1. The comment was that the motion/formation was likely a key to a play that KC would run, the direction of the motion is irrelivant. Therefore it is possible that his direction was based on something they saw on film thoughout the week.

2. It's actually Byrd (31), a safety, outside of Kelsay. Without knowing the coverage it's impossible to know either of their responsibilities. If he is man-on-man on that player then he has to stay with him.

As I stated before, what this film shows is a lack of talented players. The bottom line is they need players who don't have to guess in order to make a play and can recover when his post snap reads are disguised.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I didn't defend anything, I summed that up with the final sentence of my post. But to answer your snarky questions:

1. The comment was that the motion/formation was likely a key to a play that KC would run, the direction of the motion is irrelivant. Therefore it is possible that his direction was based on something they saw on film thoughout the week.

2. It's actually Byrd (31), a safety, outside of Kelsay. Without knowing the coverage it's impossible to know either of their responsibilities. If he is man-on-man on that player then he has to stay with him.

As I stated before, what this film shows is a lack of talented players. The bottom line is they need players who don't have to guess in order to make a play and can recover when his post snap reads are disguised.

You're right about talent, although I think you could modify it a bit to say that they need experienced players at linebacker. Transitioning from the cover 2 or 43 to the 34 is almost impossible to do in one year, especially when you're converting defensive linemen to linebacker. Kelsay is average at best even in his natural position. And while he's an intelligent guy, it takes a lot more than just intelligence to transition to a position he's never played before at the NFL level. The Bills won't have time to develop him, even if he has the potential. I would look for the 2011 draft (if there's a season) to be heavy at linebacker, especially 34 linebackers in the lower rounds.

The difference is not that talented players do not guess, the difference is that talented players are mentally in control of the game so that they guess correctly.

Alternately when they are fooled mentally, they are talented players because they have the physical ability to either reverse field suddenly when they make a mistake or make a play anyway even when they are out of position (the best play I ever saw by one of the best Bruce Smith was a run play where he was fooled badly but despite being out of position he got one paw on the runner and brought him down.

The Bills need to focus on getting players with the right combo of mental and physical talent. Everybody guesses in this league you need to get guys who either guess right or if not they are physically gifted enough to deal with their miscues.

The difference is not that talented players do not guess, the difference is that talented players are mentally in control of the game so that they guess correctly.

Alternately when they are fooled mentally, they are talented players because they have the physical ability to either reverse field suddenly when they make a mistake or make a play anyway even when they are out of position (the best play I ever saw by one of the best Bruce Smith was a run play where he was fooled badly but despite being out of position he got one paw on the runner and brought him down.

The Bills need to focus on getting players with the right combo of mental and physical talent. Everybody guesses in this league you need to get guys who either guess right or if not they are physically gifted enough to deal with their miscues.

Sometimes yes, all guys take a shot. But the idea every is just out there guessing is crazy. You'd like everyone to violently do their job in unison and hit their fit and nobody to guess and shut the play down.

Edited by dayman

You're right about talent, although I think you could modify it a bit to say that they need experienced players at linebacker. Transitioning from the cover 2 or 43 to the 34 is almost impossible to do in one year, especially when you're converting defensive linemen to linebacker. Kelsay is average at best even in his natural position. And while he's an intelligent guy, it takes a lot more than just intelligence to transition to a position he's never played before at the NFL level. The Bills won't have time to develop him, even if he has the potential. I would look for the 2011 draft (if there's a season) to be heavy at linebacker, especially 34 linebackers in the lower rounds.

Have to disagree! Its talent we lack! Just look at the packers first year of transition to the 34! Talent made the difference for them!

If Kelsay, at any time in a post snap read, thinks he has to cover a WR, he needs to immediately turn up and rush the QB, because there is not likely a WR in the NFL that he can come close to covering, so in trying to, it equates to not even being on the field.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood