need to bring in some proven Defense free agents next yearr

Chuckknox

I said it in a post earlier this week. If we're going to be sold on the "build through the draft model" this team is a long, long way from being good. They have so many needs, both starting and depth. Think about this.... they have some really bad players, what does that say about the backups? So in reality, there just are too many holes to file via the draft. They have got to fill some holes with some FA talent, and particularly at positions that take time to develop, they need to find some players to step in and play.

I'll argue the safeties on this team suck. They need 2-3 linebackers. They lack speed and skills there. They need some DL help big time. Someone on the radio, I think during the week but it was a former player, said it's not the DL that's all that bad, it's the LBs who aren't coming up and making tackles when RBs get past the DL. Poz is the only guy who makes players and he can't cover for his fellow LBs all the time.

Guys I would cut because they simply can't be effective, regardless of their contract situation, include Whitner (enough already, he sucks); Maybin (that's a given); Green (I'd like to see this FO admt mistakes, instead of trying to hold onto them to try to prove a point); Ellison; and McCargo. If any of these guys are FA, even better, they can walk.

LB: Break the bank with Lamaar Woodley at OLB (a top 5 pass rusher in the NFL IMO), look at Justin Durant or Kirk Morrison at ILB.

DB: Sabby Piscatelli or Quinten Mikell at Safety

DL: Mathias Kiwanuka or Ray Edwards at DE, Abarayu Franklin at NT.

We need to get either Woodley or Franklin to come here and lead our defense and hopefully get 1 other guy that i named

I agree 100%....people seem to be in love with draft picks. Gee, would you rather give Washington your 3rd round draft pick for Albert Haynesworth or pick another DE like Carrington that needs to be groomed for the next 2-3 years to possibly be a NFL quality DE?

Get proven players...it really only takes 2-3 and then draft one in the 1st round and this defense is completely different and the whole team is immensely better.

The draft is a crapshoot with half of them "busts" who are 1st round picks....legfitimate busts like Mike Williams and Aaron Maybin.

D Whitner is not a bust (not worthy of the 8th pick but M Huff was not worthy of the 7th pick)....but he is not nearly an impact player you could obtain in FA.

It is really a combination of the draft and FA, but I would much rather have proven NFL players!