OT-Jared Wright & Tony Womack

Thailog80

3 years/ $21 million for Wright?!?! Wow, that could come back to haunt the Yankees (again). He was almost out of baseball the last few years, but Mazzone in Atlanta resurrected him as he does someone every year it seems. With Stottylmyre's recent history with incoming pitchers, I would be very worried.

P.S. The most telling point in the article was that despite his stellar year, he lost both his starts in the playoffs. I think the Yankees overpaid, but what's new? :w00t:

P.S.S. If Womack can stay healthy, he is a huge upgrade over Cairo. Always seems to be on base, which will be scary with the rest of the Yankee's lineup. He is decent in the field, with a great arm. He also is extremeely fast and steals alot of bases. This is a great signing for the Yankees. I'm not a fan at all of them and their payroll, but this could be the most underrated signing that will happen this year.

Just my .02 worth....

That's what Wright was getting offers for across the table. But, I doubt he's going to be as good in the AL as he was in the NL. Expect a .500 season and an ERA around 4.00. See ya Jaret....I would have done the same thing...capitalize now on Leo's successes.

Tony Womack is a great clutch player. Played for the Cards last year...I think he's a good signing.

Guest Guest_rolly_*

:( What a terrible signing by the Yankees. The only reason Wright was good with the Braves is because Bobby Cox and company work wonders with pitchers. Stottlemyre will bring this kid back down to his size. And once again, the Yankees bring in another washed up player on his was out. (Womack)

I love how Brian Cashman is being schooled by 26 year old Theo Epstein with 60 million less in payroll. :doh:

GO RED SOX!!

The Cards took a flyer on Womack last year for cheap. He was coming off some major shoulder surgery (Tommy John?). They also picked up Marlon Anderson in case Womack couldn't perform. As the season wore on, Womack's shoulder regained strength and he was a tablesetter for the Redbird lineup. Anderson became a role player getting spot starts at second and left field.

I was hoping the Cards would re-sign Womack but I guess they have other options (Marlon Anderson?).

Im very excited about the Womack signing....solid veterarn, has a good amount of playoff experience...has good versatility..good job Cashman

As for the Jaret Wright signing, Im gonna reserve my judgement. Leo Mazzone did a fabolous job with Wright. One thing that was a key to Jaret's success was that he was healthy, something he hasnt been for quite some time. And he has pitched in the AL before, and Cleveland isnt exactly a pitcher friendly park.

We will see what happens.

Clements....I wouldn't worry about the parks as much as the fact that there is one more hitter in the lineup in the AL.

I wish Jaret all the luck in the world...but I can't see it happening.

1. He'll have a new pitching coach again in 2005. Mel S.

2. Then in 2006 he's going to have ANOTHER pitching coach b/c Mel is retiring after this year...

Clements....I wouldn't worry about the parks as much as the fact that there is one more hitter in the lineup in the AL.

I wish Jaret all the luck in the world...but I can't see it happening.

1. He'll have a new pitching coach again in 2005. Mel S.

2. Then in 2006 he's going to have ANOTHER pitching coach b/c Mel is retiring after this year...

151866[/snapback]

Good points.

Well he will probably be a 4 or 5 starter, thus he will face other teams 4 or 5...so jaret should win games.

Yankees have also apparently signed a middle reliever from Korea:

Koo Dae-Sung

At 35, Korean pitcher lands job with Yankees

December 10, 2004 ㅡ For many South Korean baseball players, going to the major leagues is a dream come true, and playing for the New York Yankees would be even more fulfiling.

At age 35, Koo Dae-sung, a left- handed starting pitcher for most of his career, is only a minor step away from achieving both daunting tasks.

Douglas Cho, Koo's agent, revealed yesterday the New York Yankees had agreed on the duration of a contract and salary and were fine-tuning the final details of a contract with Koo.

Koo's agent said an official announcement would be made today. Koo and his agent left the country Saturday for the United States and met with Yankees officials in Tampa Bay, Fla., to discuss details.

Although exact details of the contract have not been released, experts say it's probably a two-year deal worth $3 to $4 million.

Koo repeatedly said he would not play for the Yankees if he had to go through the minor leagues first because of his age. Koo is expected to come out of the bullpen as a reliever and handle left-handed hitters.

Last year, the Korea Baseball Organization said Koo had the second-best record for left-handed pitchers in 20 years.

While Koo is the first Korean player to wear a Yankees uniform, he will become the second Korean baseball player entering the major leagues after playing professional baseball in Korea and Japan.

Retired pitcher Lee Sang-hoon, who had a stint with the Boston Red Sox, was the first player to do so.

After Park Chan-ho, who was the first Korean to play in the major leagues for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1994, Koo is the 28th player to enter the U.S. professional leagues.

Koo entered the Korean professional baseball league in 1993 pitching for the Hanwha Eagles.

In his seven years with the Eagles, he accumulated a record of 61 wins and 58 losses with 151 saves and an overall ERA of 2.79.

In his four years with the Orix Bluewaves of Japan, he picked up 24 wins but 34 losses, netting him a 3.75 ERA