Ever notice how every draft has at least 3-4 "franchise" QBs?

Last I checked, Fitzpatrick was the 6th ranked passer in the league.

Are you proposing we have a Kurt Warner situation, at QB?

Are you also proposing that we have THE WORST LBs in the NFL, not just this year, but quite possibly in NFL history. If it were possible to rank the worst LBing squad ever I don't see how a team in NFL history could beat us, we have that locked up.

Are you also prosing that our D-Line could probably be in the Top 40 worst all time D-Lines as well?

That maybe our problem is we can't stop our opponents?

That would be crazy.

I don't think Fitzy is going to be a long term solution, but the fact that he does look good so far makes this an even better time to draft a QB high.

You can let a guy learn a system for a year or two under a very intelligent QB. Fitzy seems like the perfect bridge QB, he can help teach the youngster. Fitzy may have aspirations to be "the Man" and hell maybe somehow he does become the man, but he also knows that being a player\coach of young QB talent only increases his value over time. He can be the Care-taker\Tutor QB for many years in the NFL, and its a gateway to becoming a QB coach, Offensive Coordinator, and Headcoach over the long term.

If the first 5 rounds in the 2011 draft went like this:

Round 1: Mallet\Luck

Round 2: Best overall Talent on the board tie breakers prioritized by RT, LB, DE

Round 3: Best LB on board

Round 4: Best LB on Board

Round 4: Best LB on Board

Round 5: G\C

I'd be very happy.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is about a 20% chance that a QB drafted #1 overall will amount to anything. That's why I think people will go batschitt if Nix doesn't draft a QB, even if he thinks they all aren't worth a #1 pick. I mean look at the posts now! People are still upset we passed on Clausen and he's been terrible.

PTR

You are correct, however, it also depends on who is doing the drafting, Buffalo, or say New England. One can't judge a quarterback in his first year. I remember Pittsburgh when they had Terry Hanratty, Joe Gilliam, and Terry Bradshaw. Hanrantty won the job because Bradshaw was so erratic. Then as things progressed and Hanratty and Gilliam played poorly they gave Bradshaw a chance and he never looked back. It takes time and coaching for a college quarterback to make it in the NFL.

Let's say we just take a guy that we think can play a little. Take a Trent Dilfer in the third round, get him a line to play behind for gods sake. Im still hoping we can find a guy that can play right tackle before the years over. We should have jammed Calloway onto the practice squad imo.

Not a problem, I believe he has not been signed by anyone.

You are correct, however, it also depends on who is doing the drafting, Buffalo, or say New England. One can't judge a quarterback in his first year. I remember Pittsburgh when they had Terry Hanratty, Joe Gilliam, and Terry Bradshaw. Hanrantty won the job because Bradshaw was so erratic. Then as things progressed and Hanratty and Gilliam played poorly they gave Bradshaw a chance and he never looked back. It takes time and coaching for a college quarterback to make it in the NFL.

Not a problem, I believe he has not been signed by anyone.

Larz Trent Dilfer was drafted in the 1st round, #6 overall.

This demonstrates how difficult it is to find a good QB, if the consummate care-taker QB was drafted #6 overall . . .

Either way it is time this franchise made a big bet at QB.

If you completely ignore the stupidity of trading up to get a JP LOSSman (his name has Loss in it, that should have been a warning sign right there.)

The last time the Bills took a QB in the first round is:

:worthy: JIM KELLY

Goose pimples, right? 2011 is the time go all in on a QB. Its only been 27 years since we took a shot at QB.

(And for the people that say "go O-Line Round 1, then QB Round 2" We Did that before in 1995, Round 1 Reuben Brown, Round 2 Todd Collins. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." In this case lets repeat 1983.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

If we end up with the 1st overall pick in the draft (just a for instance) the only two scenarios I find acceptable at all are

- Standing fast and draft Luck (if he comes out) I am not calling him a cant miss prospect....but the fact is he has shown ever skill and intangible i look for in a QB......you cannot go wrong here by doing this. You now have a player to biuld around who COULD be great.

- Trading down but not out of the top 5 and hopefully getting Mallett....and getting decent value of picks in the draft once again you get a player to biuld around, but you also get other valuable picks to fill holes....we need a RT, another offensive threat (I would go for a dependable pass catching TE who can block?), and linebackers who can actually cover AND play the run.

Both of these are good situations......

There may be some underclassmen that won't come out if Buffalo has the number one pick. Kelly didn't want to come here.

Larz Trent Dilfer was drafted in the 1st round, #6 overall.

This demonstrates how difficult it is to find a good QB, if the consummate care-taker QB was drafted #6 overall . . .

Either way it is time this franchise made a big bet at QB.

If you completely ignore the stupidity of trading up to get a JP LOSSman (his name has Loss in it, that should have been a warning sign right there.)

The last time the Bills took a QB in the first round is:

:worthy: JIM KELLY

Goose pimples, right? 2011 is the time go all in on a QB. Its only been 27 years since we took a shot at QB.

(And for the people that say "go O-Line Round 1, then QB Round 2" We Did that before in 1995, Round 1 Reuben Brown, Round 2 Todd Collins. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." In this case lets repeat 1983.

Yeah, but the surprising thing is Todd C0llins is starting, or was last week.

Yeah, but the surprising thing is Todd C0llins is starting, or was last week.

What was the point of your post?

1.) What does that have to with the Bills? Todd Collins didn't work out for the Bills. He has been a "player"\coach for years on the Chiefs\Deadskins and now Bears.

2.) You know that was one of the worst QB performance by a starting QB in NFL history right?

6\16 32 yards 0TDs 4INTs

I don't really think you can call that "starting" or "playing"

What was the point of your post?

1.) What does that have to with the Bills? Todd Collins didn't work out for the Bills. He has been a "player"\coach for years on the Chiefs\Deadskins and now Bears.

2.) You know that was one of the worst QB performance by a starting QB in NFL history right?

6\16 32 yards 0TDs 4INTs

I don't really think you can call that "starting" or "playing"

Actually sunday he threw sixteen passed, eight were caught, four by his team and four by the other guys. However, the point I am laboring to make is buffalo seams to have poor talent evaluators both in college drafts and in their own personnel. There are a fair number of former bills doing well for other teams. Leonard, Peters, McGahee, though he talked his way out of town, Winfield, Clements, Bannan, and so on. Yes, most are not marquee names but would still be better to have on the team, like Bannan, than number one pick McCargo. Then we could have used the draft choices we spent on their replacements to fill in other areas of need.

Except that is more like 1 chance in 3 that he will pan out as a decent quarterback. That's a pretty bad bet - even the best (Eli Manning, Rivers, Palmer) aren't showing themselves as more than adequate. Here are the "can't miss" quarterbacks drafted 1999-2008, defined as being picked in the top 10.

+? Ryan (3, 2008)

- Russel (1, 2007)

-? Young (6, 2006)

- Leinart (10, 2006)

-? Alex Smith (1, 2005)

+? Eli Manning (1, 2004)

+? Rivers (4, 2004)

+ Palmer (1, 2003)

- Leftwich (7, 2003)

- Carr (1, 2002)

- Harrington (3, 2002)

-? Vick (1, 2001)

- Couch (1, 1999)

+ McNabb (2, 1999)

- Akili Smith (3, 1999)

This looks pretty grim to me, especially when you consider the cap space.

Edit: For #1 over all, it does look like 50-50.

Which of the seven #1 overalls are you counting as successes?

You could make the argument that only Eli Manning has really panned out. Perhaps Palmer, but for as much talent as he has had on his side of the ball, he really hasn't done all that much and I wouldn't count him among the league's elite. Vick...well, you don't pick a guy #1 to go to jail for two years.

That leaves Couch, Alex Smith, Russell and Carr.

I think the chances might be more like 14-86 or 28-72.

You're right, that's a pretty grim list.

Edited by BRH

Actually sunday he threw sixteen passed, eight were caught, four by his team and four by the other guys. However, the point I am laboring to make is buffalo seams to have poor talent evaluators both in college drafts and in their own personnel. There are a fair number of former bills doing well for other teams. Leonard, Peters, McGahee, though he talked his way out of town, Winfield, Clements, Bannan, and so on. Yes, most are not marquee names but would still be better to have on the team, like Bannan, than number one pick McCargo. Then we could have used the draft choices we spent on their replacements to fill in other areas of need.

I agree with you that the front office has a horrible track record.

But I think you'd agree its not poor talent evaluation if some of the players are doing well elsewhere.

Its a mixture of poor talent evaluation, long & short term planning & strategy, coaching, and execution.

They all play a part.

Basically if you picked out 10 dudes from this board and put them into FO positions in 2004 they COULD NOT DO ANY WORSE.

Seriously, they really couldn't, The Bills are heading for 3-13 Best Case scenario and 0-16 likely.

If you're on 0-16 then people off of the street literally can not do any worse.

But you have to start somewhere. This year they started with coaching and GMing, next year you add a QB and some defense.

Nix said it would get worse before it gets better. He was correct about that.