Face it, this year had to happen......

It is the only way we will succeed in the future. No more 7-8 win seasons. Its either we stink it up, or make the playoffs. For now, we're stinking it up. I think it was all planned though. Think about it. Buddy Nix didnt sign any decent lineman, not 1 good LB was signed, and no QB upgrades were made. We drafted Spiller, which was a headscrather. Buddy gets it. WE dont get it. He is building for the FUTURE. Sure Spiller may not have a great impact now, but in a year or two, he will be a STAR. Buddy planned this whole season out, so we can just let some young guys develop, see whos worth holding, then we get our win or two, along with the first overall pick. Then we choose the foundation of our team, whether it be on offense or defense. This is what comes with rebuiling Bills fans. Lets hold it together, and one day it will all pay off. Go Bills!

It is the only way we will succeed in the future. No more 7-8 win seasons. Its either we stink it up, or make the playoffs. For now, we're stinking it up. I think it was all planned though. Think about it. Buddy Nix didnt sign any decent lineman, not 1 good LB was signed, and no QB upgrades were made. We drafted Spiller, which was a headscrather. Buddy gets it. WE dont get it. He is building for the FUTURE. Sure Spiller may not have a great impact now, but in a year or two, he will be a STAR. Buddy planned this whole season out, so we can just let some young guys develop, see whos worth holding, then we get our win or two, along with the first overall pick. Then we choose the foundation of our team, whether it be on offense or defense. This is what comes with rebuiling Bills fans. Lets hold it together, and one day it will all pay off. Go Bills!

I would feel good about this strategy if we actually had someone at OBD who is a proven draft expert and had the final say- not Ralph. No evidence of anyone close to that in this organization.

Are there threads like this on the Redskins message board? They finished 4-12 last season. the season before that 8-8. They acquired one of the best coaches available who then acquired one of the best qb's available and voila! They are now 3-2 and in the lead of a division which is almost as tough as ours.

This year DIDN"T have to happen. It's just a case of garbage in garbage out.

I like your optimism and maybe youre right. If you think about Bill Polian-John Butler-AJ Smith-Buddy Nix, it all sort of comes full circle with Nix part of that GM tree, back in Buffalo.

If we are using the San Diego Chargers blueprint (Which is based upon the old Polian/Bills blueprint) we drafted Spiller as San Diego, with their #1 pick drafted LaDanian #5 in 2001 in Round 1. That was their first building block. Spiller is our 1st building block Chargers then had Brees fall to them the same year in round 2, and then the got lucky when Manning declined to go to San Diego in 2004. They ended up getting the QB they really wanted-Rivers plus another first round pick from The Giants which became Shawn Merrimen and then things fell into place from there.There was some luck along the way...Antonio Gates was a walk on basketball player with no football experience, Michael Turner was a stud back up to LT.....

By the way, when thinking about the Kelsey extension and wondering why/how? It reminds of a very marginal (at best ) player in San Diego named Luis Castillo. They guy basically does nothing, yet he gets a nice extension while AJ Smith lets playmakers like Cromartie, LT-walk, Merrimen and Vincent Jackson and Jamal Williams get no love, and no new contract. I guess Castillo must be a team guy like Kelsey. Not sure I agree whith that philosophy, but it appears that this is similar to what Nix just did with Kelsey.

Maybe you do have to hit rock bottom, but the one thing that pisses me off more than anything is the fact that Wilson couldnt have come out at some point and just said..."Hey, I cant promoise anything will or will not happen with this team when I die, but because of your 50 years of loyalty and passion...Buffalo-Im doing everythig I possibly can to make certain this team stays in WNY for another 50 years...because you deserve it!"

I would argue that if the Bills made some better decisions while going 7-8 (McKinney over Williams, Schaub over Losman, Witten over McGahee, Ngata over Whitner, Anybody over McCargo, Okapo over Maybin), they wouldn't be in the situation they are in now.

None of this is Nix's fault, of course, unless he shows the same inability to match good picks against the Bills needs.

Spiller will be a star? Let's hope so, because the Bills are going to set the league record for rushing yards against while Gailey is trying to figure out if Spiller can be an every-down back or not.