American Home Shield

TSNBDSC

... not too thrilled with them ... any other options out there ? !!! ... is it worth it ? ... pay $586 per year with a trade service call fee of $60 per visit ... thanks, tom ...

Not sure what you really get - sounds like you spend over $600 before you get anything at all.

I had a home warranty that the real estate agent threw in for free when I bought my house. I used it when my furnace died the first year. Luckily there were no HVAC guys in their network near me so I got to pick my own. In reading the fine print the warranty said it would not cover my situation - the part that I needed to fix my furnace was no longer made so I needed a whole new one. I got lucky and somehow they agreed to a new furnace but the unit was so crappy my guy refused to put it in - said it would last 2 years tops before it died and was a POS. I was able to get the money that the crappy one cost and apply it to a better one and it's been running fine for the last 10 years.

I was lucky in that I got some benefit and the warranty cost me nothing, but when it came time to renew you better believe I let that sucker lapse.

Gotta read the fine print to see what is/isn't covered and then ask yourself how likely it is that you're going to get more than $600 out of it...

I have AHS as it was thrown in as part of closing. I don't have any problem with them as I'm having issues with my furnace and they are helping me and checking in on the status of the problem often. We had a home inspection and nothing turned up at that point. Upon further inspection, the furnace is in such bad shape (doesn't work at all) I have to have it replaced. The seller of our home had to know how bad the furnace was (according to the HVAC guys) they think he threw in the one-year warranty to keep us off his back about the bad furnace. It'll cost us $400 to put a new one in but it has to be done. Cannot let the family freeze, y'know!

Good luck with finding a new warranty company.

Edited by Champaign Mike