Clever trading strategy

Got_Wood

New England has employed this strategy twice now, and I think it's a great way to get better value in return. In the Maroney trade, they received a 4th, and gave up a 6th. In the Moss trade, they received a 3rd and gave up a 7th.

I think this is one way we could have gotten more back for Lynch. If we had said we'll give you a 5th or 6th with Lynch, we might have gotten a 3rd from Green Bay. I thought this was an interesting way to maximize trade value. Especially since those late rounders are much less likely to pan out as good players down the road.

Definitely.

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=BSP&lg=nfl

You can see that NE has looked to pile up numerous picks in rounds 1-4, even back into the 90s (with a handful of seasons in there where they had normal or fewer). This works well if you have good talent evaluators, of course.

Is it me or does it seem like NE has been stockpiling draft picks forever? Sooner or later, while Brady is still playing, why wouldn't they keep some of their players or spend all those draft picks to upgrade their team. I think letting Vrabel and Seymour go when they did and now trading Moss unnessecarily weakened the Pats all for to sake of stockpiling draft picks. And you know he's going to trade one of his #1s for more picks. They have not won the Superbowl for 6 years now. I think Belichick is leaving himself open for criticism after he falls short for the next 3-4 years.

Definitely.

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draftteam.htm?tm=BSP&lg=nfl

You can see that NE has looked to pile up numerous picks in rounds 1-4, even back into the 90s (with a handful of seasons in there where they had normal or fewer). This works well if you have good talent evaluators, of course.

New England has not drafted better than the Bills in the past 5 years...they have had very weak drafts actually. The fact they have Tom Brady covers up very poor drafts.

Is it me or does it seem like NE has been stockpiling draft picks forever? Sooner or later, while Brady is still playing, why wouldn't they keep some of their players or spend all those draft picks to upgrade their team. I think letting Vrabel and Seymour go when they did and now trading Moss unnessecarily weakened the Pats all for to sake of stockpiling draft picks. And you know he's going to trade one of his #1s for more picks. They have not won the Superbowl for 6 years now. I think Belichick is leaving himself open for criticism after he falls short for the next 3-4 years.

I think the Patriots knew that their run at Superbowls was over with the personnel that they had, and it was time to rebuild. But the great thing about their rebuilding process is that they have been able to stay competitive during the transition. And during this stage, they have added great young guys in Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Sebastian Vollmer, Jerrod Mayo, Patrick Chung, Darius Butler, and Brandon Spikes. Smart coach/GM combo over there.

Edited by Got_Wood

I think the Patriots knew that their run at Superbowls was over with the personnel that they had, and it was time to rebuild. But the great thing about their rebuilding process is that they have been able to stay competitive during the transition. And during this stage, they have added great young guys in Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Sebastian Vollmer, Jerrod Mayo, Patrick Chung, Darius Butler, and Brandon Spikes. Smart coach/GM combo over there.

Colts seems to have done the same. Ahh Polian, The Buf misses you so. Hernadez was agreat pick up, of the pair, I think he will have a better career then Tebow.