So good, I had to post...

TPS

For the exact reason you mentioned, which is that estate taxes are a tax on dying while the other taxes are on goods or services provided.

Yup, punish people for the rampant spending of Congress. Smart move. Instead of actually going to the root cause of the problem for a solution (Congressional spending), let's just continue down that path but make up for it by punishing the "rich." Class warfare is always a good solution to problems.  ;)

150664[/snapback]

Yet you fail to acknowledge that it is the "rich", the powerful, that have created the mess to begin with. Are you saying that those in the Congress aren't rich, and privileged already? When, and if, they do set forth prudent fiscal policies and practices, then move to remove the penalty. This would also include the reckless deficits and interest paid on those deficits. Ultimately, there could be a nice tax cut, and possibly a few extra dollars for worthy programs if we weren't spending so much in interest on the debt year in and year out. No one wants to tackle this, Rep or Dem, because the benefits are too far down the road and both parties seek little more than immediate gradification. It's the tough choices neither is willing to make. Reducing the load on the rich only serves to reward them for the mess they've created. As child, my parents only rewarded me after I did something well.

Sadly, the deficit is something that will be a major drain well beyond my lifetime.

One way is to call it a tax simplification, another way is to call it a tax increase.

If papa bush would have just spun his increases as tax simplification maybe he would have been reelected.

152280[/snapback]

There's no way Bush Sr. was winning that election.

Yet you fail to acknowledge that it is the "rich", the powerful, that have created the mess to begin with. Are you saying that those in the Congress aren't rich, and privileged already? When, and if, they do set forth prudent fiscal policies and practices, then move to remove the penalty. This would also include the reckless deficits and interest paid on those deficits. Ultimately, there could be a nice tax cut, and possibly a few extra dollars for worthy programs if we weren't spending so much in interest on the debt year in and year out. No one wants to tackle this, Rep or Dem, because the benefits are too far down the road and both parties seek little more than immediate gradification. It's the tough choices neither is willing to make.  Reducing the load on the rich only serves to reward them for the mess they've created. As child, my parents only rewarded me after I did something well.

Sadly, the deficit is something that will be a major drain well beyond my lifetime.

155196[/snapback]

Very pointed post.