The Bowl Picture Is All Set Now

R. Rich

Well, what a weekend for college football. The almighty BCS has decided that USC and Oklahoma will play for the national championship in the Orange Bowl. No, I will not put the stupid sponsor name with it, as I think the commercializing of college football has ruined it! Anyway, here's the final BCS standings. Two things: Cal got screwed and Auburn got robbed!

Cal was passed over for the Rose Bowl so that Texas could play in it. It looks like Mack Brown's begging has paid off for the Longhorns, who did what they normally do: play well, except for THE game, the Red River Shootout vs Oklahoma. Another year, another loss to the Sooners. Why not reward them with a Rose Bowl bid? After all, what did Cal do to deserve one? They were just one play away from beating USC, but who are they, anyway? Actually, I do think USC is in the title game this year simply because they weren't in it last year. They tweaked the BCS system so that the polls factor in more, and the polls had USC on top. So, they're in. Do I believe they would be able to beat Auburn? No. Would they, in a rematch, even beat Cal again? Maybe. Still, the Trojans did win out this year, and that can't be taken lightly.

Auburn got the worst of the deal this year. The greatest season in Tiger history, one where they not only ran the table in the VERY tough SEC, but finished undefeated as well!! Congrats to you. As your reward, you get to play Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl. I wonder who the BCS officials will be rooting for in that one? I'll bet they'd love to see the Hokies win, so they don't look any more ridiculous. Tommy Tuberville should be Coach of the Year and his team certainly deserves to play for the national championship considering what they were able to accomplish this year. Oh well. Another team gets the shaft. I'd be very worried if I were Frank Beamer, coach of Virginia Tech. The Tigers may take out their frustration on your team. Good luck.

Utah gets to play the Pittsburgh Panthers in the Fiesta Bowl. This could get ugly. The Utes have a very good team. I don't know if Pittsburgh can keep up with them. The drama of Urban Meyer leaving to become head coach at Florida only makes this more of an emotional game for the Utes. You know they'll be ready to "win one for Urban".

Michigan vs Texas in the Rose Bowl? What a joke. Texas begged their way in and Michigan backed their way in. Yeah, the 'grandaddy of them all'. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Complete bowl game schedule

Well, what a weekend for college football.  The almighty BCS has decided that USC and Oklahoma will play for the national championship in the Orange Bowl.  No, I will not put the stupid sponsor name with it, as I think the commercializing of college football has ruined it!  Anyway, here's the final BCS standings.  Two things:  Cal got screwed and Auburn got robbed! 

Cal was passed over for the Rose Bowl so that Texas could play in it.  It looks like Mack Brown's begging has paid off for the Longhorns, who did what they normally do:  play well, except for THE game, the Red River Shootout vs Oklahoma.  Another year, another loss to the Sooners.  Why not reward them with a Rose Bowl bid?  After all, what did Cal do to deserve one?  They were just one play away from beating USC, but who are they, anyway?  Actually, I do think USC is in the title game this year simply because they weren't in it last year.  They tweaked the BCS system so that the polls factor in more, and the polls had USC on top.  So, they're in.  Do I believe they would be able to beat Auburn?  No.  Would they, in a rematch, even beat Cal again?  Maybe.  Still, the Trojans did win out this year, and that can't be taken lightly. 

Auburn got the worst of the deal this year.  The greatest season in Tiger history, one where they not only ran the table in the VERY tough SEC, but finished undefeated as well!!  Congrats to you.  As your reward, you get to play Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.  I wonder who the BCS officials will be rooting for in that one?  I'll bet they'd love to see the Hokies win, so they don't look any more ridiculous.  Tommy Tuberville should be Coach of the Year and his team certainly deserves to play for the national championship considering what they were able to accomplish this year.  Oh well.  Another team gets the shaft.  I'd be very worried if I were Frank Beamer, coach of Virginia Tech.  The Tigers may take out their frustration on your team.  Good luck.

Utah gets to play the Pittsburgh Panthers in the Fiesta Bowl.  This could get ugly.  The Utes have a very good team.  I don't know if Pittsburgh can keep up with them.  The drama of Urban Meyer leaving to become head coach at Florida only makes this more of an emotional game for the Utes.  You know they'll be ready to "win one for Urban". 

Michigan vs Texas in the Rose Bowl?  What a joke.  Texas begged their way in and Michigan backed their way in.  Yeah, the 'grandaddy of them all'.  Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Complete bowl game schedule

148361[/snapback]

Justice for Pat Dye playing for a tie against SU.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Auburn!

Of the 4 BCS games, only the USC- Okla. Championship game looks good. The other 3 look like major duds. Very poor matchups. The automatic bids that some conferences receive makes these games look bad. Pitt ? Virg. Tech ? Why is Cal out and Texas in ?

About half of the so-called minor bowl games look good.

Bottom Line. The College Presidents control the system and the BCS is what they support. The Plus One idea or an 8 team playoff has zero chance, at present. So 2,3 teams each year will get the shaft in some respect.

The BCS is a joke, they're always talking about the Bowl "tradition" and it ends up with Texas in the Rose bowl taking the spot of Cal?!! if they were the real tradition keepers they want us to believe they are, the Rose bowl should be USC-Mich , Pac 10 vs Big 10... Give us the Playoffs we all want to see!! with unbeaten teams with a chance to win it all!

Quarters:

1 USC vs 8 Michigan

2 OU vs 7 Cal

3 Auburn vs 6 Texas

4 Utah vs 5 Boise State

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.