I hate Marv Levy

sharper802

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who questions what Marv did as a coach should be beaten to a pulp outside RWS, you don't win 100= games in the NFL and bring your team to 4 straight Super-bowls by fluke. I'd kill to have a guy half as good as Levy coach this team right now.

That said, he was a terrible, terrible GM. One can make the argument he was worse than Tom Donohoe.

Anyone who questions what Marv did as a coach should be beaten to a pulp outside RWS, you don't win 100= games in the NFL and bring your team to 4 straight Super-bowls by fluke. I'd kill to have a guy half as good as Levy coach this team right now.

That said, he was a terrible, terrible GM. One can make the argument he was worse than Tom Donohoe.

Did you read the Gaughan Q&A I posted? Modrak made all the draft decisions. Marv was not a real GM.

Did you read the Gaughan Q&A I posted? Modrak made all the draft decisions. Marv was not a real GM.

Whitner was Jaurnon's call. Marv deferred to Jauron.

Marv was a joke of a GM. From wasted free agent signings to illadvised draft pics, it's easy to see why the Bills are where they are today.

Marv was a mediocre coach. He had a great offensive coordinator in Marchibroda, and a lousy defensive coordinator in Corey. He had the benefit of a virtual all star team during his tenure but he couldn't win the big one. His greatest talent seems to have been assuaging egos. As a GM he sucked royally. His reaches with Whitner and McCargo have proven not justified. He gave big money to Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker( a couple of wastes), extended Kelsay for big money(another waste), drafted Edwards, drafted Lynch( after spouting about how he only wanted "character" guys, and worst of all, hired Jauron(who further stunk up this franchise). I don't hate him, but I don't praise him either, Hall of Famer, or not.

I say he was more then a mediocre coach, those don't get voted into the hall of fame. Great motivator and did exactly what a good head coach should do, hire really good assistants, manage the game and players. Perhaps his biggest shortcoming was to allow Jim Kelly to call all his own plays, in that first SB against the NY Giants the Bills should have run Thurman more often against that 4-1-6 defense that Bill Belichick set up to stop the passing game. After all that same defense held Joe Montana and that amazing Niner offense to one TD and 2 field goals in the NFC championship game. As good as Marchibroda was, he didn't alter the game plan after watching that Giants team in constant dime coverage.

Like I stated eariler he was asked to be GM by his old friend and Bills owner Ralph Wilson, he really wanted to coach again. His greatest error was hiring Dick Jauron to be HC, and I believe he stepped down because he was a figure head GM and he knew that he would shoulder the blame for others mistakes. Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery didn't become liabilities until after O line coach Jim McNally retired, and Jauron hired an assistant to replace him. Both players are back with their respective teams, If the Bills had retained Dockery he would be the best linemen by far on that bills line. Unlike Levy, Jauron the moron only promoted offensive coaches from within the org instead of hiring proven experienced veteran coaches, that was his down fall.

Right now this franchise could use another Marv Levy... and another Bill Polian. I know I wouldn't mind watching the Bills go to another 4 SB's, right now most fans would be ecstatic with just a winning season...

I say he was more then a mediocre coach, those don't get voted into the hall of fame. Great motivator and did exactly what a good head coach should do, hire really good assistants, manage the game and players. Perhaps his biggest shortcoming was to allow Jim Kelly to call all his own plays, in that first SB against the NY Giants the Bills should have run Thurman more often against that 4-1-6 defense that Bill Belichick set up to stop the passing game. After all that same defense held Joe Montana and that amazing Niner offense to one TD and 2 field goals in the NFC championship game. As good as Marchibroda was, he didn't alter the game plan after watching that Giants team in constant dime coverage.

Like I stated eariler he was asked to be GM by his old friend and Bills owner Ralph Wilson, he really wanted to coach again. His greatest error was hiring Dick Jauron to be HC, and I believe he stepped down because he was a figure head GM and he knew that he would shoulder the blame for others mistakes. Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery didn't become liabilities until after O line coach Jim McNally retired, and Jauron hired an assistant to replace him. Both players are back with their respective teams, If the Bills had retained Dockery he would be the best linemen by far on that bills line. Unlike Levy, Jauron the moron only promoted offensive coaches from within the org instead of hiring proven experienced veteran coaches, that was his down fall.

Right now this franchise could use another Marv Levy... and another Bill Polian. I know I wouldn't mind watching the Bills go to another 4 SB's, right now most fans would be ecstatic with just a winning season...

Finally, we have a winner!

:worthy:

Well stated!

I love Marv like I love one of my own grandparents. You should be smacked repeatedly for not appreciating all of the joy he was in part responsible for bringing us in the late 80s' / early to mid 90s'. Why don't you go kick you dog for a while instead of posting asinine commentary.

I wouldn't say I "hate" Marv Levy, but there is no doubt he is one of the worst failures at GM ever.

Who hired Marv as GM (after he played a key role in toxic relationships with Polian, Butler, and hired TD).

Hating Marv simply lets Mr. Ralph off the hook as like it or not the buck stops and starts with him.

I totally agree that a full view of our owner gives him cred for not csshing out and moving elsewhere (just as a full view of Marv gives him credit for being HC of a team that any indictment of him for losing 4 SBs gives him credit for HCing the team to 4 SBs).

In the end, hatred of Marv rings pretty hollow for ignoring the guy who hired him.

I hate him for everything he did to this franchise. He was out-coached in all four Super Bowl games. He hired the undead to be the HC. Watching Ngata destroy the Jets offensive line and remembering how poorly and dirty Whitner played yesterday makes my head feel like it is going to explode. Don't tell me he was a figure head. He was in charge. The fact that he is now no where to be seen suggests he probably had the beginning stages of dementia and is probably gumming his food right now. Remember when Ralph had to tell him he couldn't be the GM and head coach. All the failed FA signings and wasted draft picks on trading up to get players no one wanted in the first place. I truly believe his name should be taken down off the wall until the Bills make the playoffs again. His tenure needs to be exorcised just like the Bartman ball needed to be blown up. His name should be pulled off the wall followed by a moment of silence and a joyous rebirth.

How dare you criticize Marv Levy!

I remember the Ngata draft very well.

Evidently, the Bills didn't want him because they wanted smaller, quicker players to fit their "scheme".

Brilliant!

Marv was a shockingly bad GM, but he was a fine coach.

I disagree. Marv was a great Mentor, but not much of a coach. Not only was he outcoached in four super bowls, but he was totally unwilling to lay down the law with Kelly and his partying. In each of Parcells superbowls, he implemented a restricted curfew before the game for all his players, as have most of the other winning coaches. Not Marv, he left it alone. Marv was great at inspiring his players, especially after the losses, but I question whether that is really the goal of a coach, or not.

Marv had great players that Bill Polian provided. Marv hired old Swizzle Stick as his DC, which shocked everyone. His own players felt he was incompetent as a DC, but they played hard anyway. Marv did a great job keeping the team focused, but I don't see that qualifies as "being a Great Coach". Is the purpose of being a coach to win?

How dare you criticize Marv Levy!

I remember the Ngata draft very well.

Evidently, the Bills didn't want him because they wanted smaller, quicker players to fit their "scheme".

Brilliant!

Yup, Jauron got the last word. From the Mark Gaughan article:

Why Donte Whitner (a productive player) over Haloti Ngata (a great player)? I can't blame that one on Modrak. Jauron and his staff did not want Ngata and insisted he did not fit the scheme.

Yup, Jauron got the last word. From the Mark Gaughan article:

Why Donte Whitner (a productive player) over Haloti Ngata (a great player)? I can't blame that one on Modrak. Jauron and his staff did not want Ngata and insisted he did not fit the scheme.

And Jauron (hired by Levy) wanted Maybin instead of Orakapo.

Ivy League, huh?

:doh:

I disagree. Marv was a great Mentor, but not much of a coach. Not only was he outcoached in four super bowls, but he was totally unwilling to lay down the law with Kelly and his partying. In each of Parcells superbowls, he implemented a restricted curfew before the game for all his players, as have most of the other winning coaches. Not Marv, he left it alone. Marv was great at inspiring his players, especially after the losses, but I question whether that is really the goal of a coach, or not.

Marv had great players that Bill Polian provided. Marv hired old Swizzle Stick as his DC, which shocked everyone. His own players felt he was incompetent as a DC, but they played hard anyway. Marv did a great job keeping the team focused, but I don't see that qualifies as "being a Great Coach". Is the purpose of being a coach to win?

I know it's sacrilege, and inviting of the wrath of many on here, but I'm still amazed he was voted in the HOF. Jimmy Johnson, Joe Gibbs, and Bill Parcells ate his lunch. Let's face it, in fifty years, besides a couple of seasons during Saban's first stint, the drafting of OJ Simpson, Chuck Knox's tenure, and the SB years, there's not alot to hold onto. In that regard, I could understand how Marv Levy is venerated.