2010 Sleeper Team

cmjoyce113

It is a fair and reasonable assessment of the Buffalo Bills. I came away thinking both Cowher and Simms like what they see developing at One Bills Drive.

While Cowher does not use the word "sleeper", he does say the Bills could be a surprise team. My dictionary defines sleeper as "one that achieves unexpected recognition or success." So the headline -- which might have been written by Tim Graham but probably was written somewhere along the editing chain -- is not that much of a stretch.

By saying the Bills could surprise people implies (or at least I inferred) that the Bills will win more games than most people expect. Cowher likes Buffalo's chances to be competitive in 2010, but more importantly he says they are a team that is looking to improve going forward: "I think with the Buffalo Bills you're going to see a team that plays hard, a team that's going to reestablish an identity, and they're in the process of changing the culture."

Phil Simms, meanwhile, has a positive impression of Trent Edwards (and Chan Gailey's impact on Edwards). As for the team, he says, "I think we'll see that they're on the right track and getting themselves in position where they can make a playoff run in the near future."

I'm guessing that most Bills fans will find this article reflects their expectations: A team that will be improved, more entertaining and have a better record than most non-fans expect.

lmao @ you guys splitting hairs to make yourselves feel better

both here and on other boards people are projecting so much into what chin said as if it means we will be a lot better, but thats just not what he said

he said it in a very politically correct way but if you break it down he clearly was saying its not a team ready to compete for the playoffs

if he thought it was going to be an 8+ win team he would have said something like 'they will challenge for a playoff spot but likely fall short'. but he didnt, he said they will NOT make the playoffs. you dont say that if you think a team has a chance at 8-9 wins cuz you know all it takes is on bounce an entire season to get you from there into the playoffs (potentially). so yeah he expect us to be a sub-500 team, meaning lose more than you win, meaning mostly lose

its crystal clear to me he saying precisely something to the effect of chan is a good coach and will get them as ready as they can be but they are still going to lose more than they will win and not make the playoffs

hell, i told yall that months ago and i dont see anybody gushing over it

so wait your complaining about other people splitting hairs and yet you are posting something that is basically splitting hairs. kind of hypocritical, no? and no offense but how do you know what the chin means when he says things. just because you would say something a certain way doesn't mean everyone else would. thats your opinion of the article and what he means. fact is only person who knows exactly what he means, is the chin himself. i think your reading into a bit. he said we are gonna surprise some people, in my opinion what he means is that most experts have us pegged at 1-5 wins, he thinks we'll surprise a few more teams and get a few more wins. and btw, even though it has already been said, phil simms was only one who said we wouldn't make the playoffs.

so wait your complaining about other people splitting hairs and yet you are posting something that is basically splitting hairs. kind of hypocritical, no? and no offense but how do you know what the chin means when he says things. just because you would say something a certain way doesn't mean everyone else would. thats your opinion of the article and what he means. fact is only person who knows exactly what he means, is the chin himself. i think your reading into a bit. he said we are gonna surprise some people, in my opinion what he means is that most experts have us pegged at 1-5 wins, he thinks we'll surprise a few more teams and get a few more wins. and btw, even though it has already been said, phil simms was only one who said we wouldn't make the playoffs.

I hope the Bills start surprising folks on Sunday. Go Bills!