Thoughts On the O-Line

Nasty

I just have some random thoughts on the O-Line after the Bills picked up Urbik off waivers. This is how I see our line shaping up by season’s end:

LT Bell – hasn’t been bad during preseason but still has room to grow. He is a beast when out in the open on run blocking plays.

LG Levitre – Long time guard for the Bills to hold down the line

C Woods – Will move there eventually this year and Hangartner will be a solid back up.

RG Urbik – Now that the Bills have the top three OG prospects from the 2009 draft on there roster and all are still young they should let them grow and jell together.

RT Wang – Very athletic tackle and a definite upgrade from Green who is a career backup.

This has the potential to be a very impressive line I think as long as we can be patient with them and let them grow together. We also have some solid backups (and yes I said backups) who will push the starters everyday in practice in Meredith, Howard, Green, and Hangartner. I am beginning to really like the way it is shaping up. Your thoughts.

I admire your optimism but unfortunately can't completely agree.

I do like the interior offensive line's future. I do believe Levitre, Woods, and Urbik all have the potential to be above average or solid players on this team's offensive line. IThese guys are some great building blocks. Hangartner is a quality backup who currently has to start because of the line's current struggles.

While I'll give Jamon Meredith an outside shot of becoming an average RT on this team and in the league, the Bills do not have a starting tackle at either position on this current roster. Green won't be in Buffalo very long, and Bell, Wang, and Howard are all projects with ceilings, in all honesty, as career backups/journeyman. If we are asked to be honest and not just fans, this is likely the case.

Depending on the quality of tackles available in free agency and in next year's draft , the Bills could honestly use a quality veteran and two of their first four picks next year on tackles. If two of those three potential pickups become capable starters or more, then I think my the starting offensive lineman and line depth would lead to both realistic and hopeful optimism.

Wizard

I just have some random thoughts on the O-Line after the Bills picked up Urbik off waivers. This is how I see our line shaping up by season's end:

LT Bell – hasn't been bad during preseason but still has room to grow. He is a beast when out in the open on run blocking plays.

LG Levitre – Long time guard for the Bills to hold down the line

C Woods – Will move there eventually this year and Hangartner will be a solid back up.

RG Urbik – Now that the Bills have the top three OG prospects from the 2009 draft on there roster and all are still young they should let them grow and jell together.

RT Wang – Very athletic tackle and a definite upgrade from Green who is a career backup.

This has the potential to be a very impressive line I think as long as we can be patient with them and let them grow together. We also have some solid backups (and yes I said backups) who will push the starters everyday in practice in Meredith, Howard, Green, and Hangartner. I am beginning to really like the way it is shaping up. Your thoughts.

I agree with almost everything you said but think we would still need to find a dominate RT to really make the line a true strength. I think we could get lucky and get servicable play from Bell and kind of go against the grain a little and focus on finding a big time RT, which is a bit easier to find. The reason for this approach is I think we need to focus on finding multiple guys on defense who can get consistent pressure on the QB, because I don't know if we even have one guy who can do that right now. It's just to unrealistic to think we can find a great LT and some quality pass rushers in a short period of time IMO.

I think our F.O. sees the line as a 2 or 3 year project, certainly not something that will gel and remain unchanged by this season's end. If Bell becomes a good LT then that will free us up to needing only a RT, and maybe a center or G, and then there's the need to always improve the reserves. I have said before I think we can look forward to having a very good O-line by the beginning of next season, even if Bell and whoever is at RT turn out bad. We could pick up two good starting quality tackles in next year's free agency and draft, and even a good G so that Wood could move to center - all next year, if we needed and wanted to. So, we'll just have to wait and see how these guys develop.

One last thing - sometimes - and you see it around the league (sure, there are exceptions, but there are a lot of guys to support this) that quality starters for good O-lines come from the 4th, 5th, 6th, and sometimes even 7th round. Just because Wang is a later round pick doesn't mean he can't become good - but in either case it's just a matter of time and development, and luck.

So, I think our O-line will look much better by the beginning of next year's regular season.