Bills playoff hopes: historical perspective

I started crunching the numbers for the Bills playoff hopes the rest of the season, and suddenly my head started to hurt.

So then I took a peak at the NFL standings for the last umpteen years, and realized that it is difficult, nay, nearly impossible, to find a 10-6 team in either conference who failed to make the playoffs. If memory serves, it has indeed happened, and perhaps my number-crunching headache prevented me from seeing it, but I ask someone to show me the team(s) that have failed to make it with a 10-6 record.

http://ww2.nfl.com/history/standings/1993.html

Yes, I'm aware the AFC is disproportionately better than the NFC this year. And yes, I understand that this year may in fact be an aberration with perhaps an 8-8 team squeaking in over in the NFC, and a 10-6 team missing it in the AFC.

Still, part of me wonders if things will equal out somewhat the rest of the way, at least enough so that this year's playoff participants don't buck the trend of recent history. If that's the case, and our Bills can somehow pull out the next four games, then we could indeed see them in the postseason.

i think there was one other team in history before the fish...maybe two. problem is, you will see it more often now that they went to that idiotic 8 division set-up with only 2 wildcards...that said, i am banking on history and the odds being on our side also...if we can somehow win out.

The list of 10-6 teams that didn't make the playoffs, since the league went to 6 playoff teams per conference:

Miami, 2003

San Fran, 1991

From 1978-1989, there were only 5 playoff teams in each conference:

Green Bay and Washington, 1989

NY Giants and New Orleans, 1988

Seattle and Cincinnati, 1986

Washington, 1985

Denver, 1981

New England, 1980

Washington, 1979

That takes us back to the beginning of the 16-game season in 1978.

Something not pointed out yet: all the teams listed (with the exception of Miami 2003) played in a 28-team league. Four more teams = more games played leaguewide, fewer common opponents, and a better chance for more teams to have good records.

The list of 10-6 teams that didn't make the playoffs, since the league went to 6 playoff teams per conference:

Miami, 2003

San Fran, 1991

From 1978-1989, there were only 5 playoff teams in each conference:

Green Bay and Washington, 1989

NY Giants and New Orleans, 1988

Seattle and Cincinnati, 1986

Washington, 1985

Denver, 1981

New England, 1980

Washington, 1979

That takes us back to the beginning of the 16-game season in 1978.

Something not pointed out yet: all the teams listed (with the exception of Miami 2003) played in a 28-team league. Four more teams = more games played leaguewide, fewer common opponents, and a better chance for more teams to have good records.

147635[/snapback]

Great, thanks for the info.

The problem this year is the inordinate disparity between the AFC and NFC. There could be a playoff team in the NFC that has a sub .500 record, while 10-6 may not be good enough in the AFC.

The problem this year is the inordinate disparity between the AFC and NFC. There could be a playoff team in the NFC that has a sub .500 record, while 10-6 may not be good enough in the AFC.

147644[/snapback]

It actually wouldn't be the first time that's happened, although there were extenuating circumstances involved - the 4-5 Browns and Lions snuck into the strike-year "tournament" back in 1982. The 1991 Jets, 1990 Saints, and 1985 Browns (Central Division champs) were close - all made it in at 8-8.

As mentioned elsewhere, the problem lies in the eight-division setup and concurrent loss of a wild-card slot. If there were still only three divisions in each conference, the 9-3 Falcons would be leading the NFC West. And if the current setup had been in place back in 1989, an 8-8 Colts team would have won the AFC South, while a 10-6 Washington team would still have been left out....

49ers, in I think the mid to late eighties...

147598[/snapback]

Yea a I think it was 2 years after the 49ers won their last super bowl with Montana, they were 10-6 and missed the playoffs. I remember they lost the NFC title game to the giants, then missed the playoffs year after.

Hey 10-6 would be a good record for the Bills, and from looking at the schedules of the Jags, Ravens and Broncos, they could all go 9-7. We lost to Balt and Jacksonville, so obviously we need to finish with a better record than them.