Floyd Mayweather

PushthePile

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/02/floyd-mayweather-racist-rant_n_703731.html

NSFW

Why does his racist antics get overlooked by the media? This isn't the first time he has recorded himself making racial slurs and homophobic comments.

I'm not offended by his comments as much as I'm offended by the double standard. Comments and idiot banter aren't worth getting worked up for IMO, but consistency would be nice.

My complaint is with the free pass from the media and such. People have been ripped for much less, even careers ruined.

Would this be covered differently if it was Phil Mickelson making a video and calling Anthony Kim a gook and faggot?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/02/floyd-mayweather-racist-rant_n_703731.html

NSFW

Why does his racist antics get overlooked by the media?

Maybe because the media overlooks boxing completely. Maybe because boxing is notorious for attacking rants.

Why aren't you complaining about his attack on midgets?

Maybe because the media overlooks boxing completely. Maybe because boxing is notorious for attacking rants.

Why aren't you complaining about his attack on midgets?

I'm not complaining about any attack. I couldn't care less about what floyd had to say. I'm just asking the question, why it isn't even being discussed. Given the general sensitivity towards racial slurs, it should be a slam dunk.

Boxing is indeed overlooked by the media but not when it comes to its few mega stars. Floyd and Manny are by far its two biggest stars and their ongoing situatuion has been covered heavily. These two guys have both had major exposure and are considerably famous.

I'm not complaining about any attack. I couldn't care less about what floyd had to say. I'm just asking the question, why it isn't even being discussed. Given the general sensitivity towards racial slurs, it should be a slam dunk.

Boxing is indeed overlooked by the media but not when it comes to its few mega stars. Floyd and Manny are by far its two biggest stars and their ongoing situatuion has been covered heavily. These two guys have both had major exposure and are considerably famous.

Certainly Mayweather is among today's most famous boxer. with that said, I doubt 10% of sports fans would be able to identify his picture.

The attack was certainly racist, homophobic and anti-little people. I haven't hear much from any of the groups he attacked so far. Maybe they will respond down the road. I just think that boxing smack is so completely fake/calculated most don't really pay any attention to it, or give it much credence.

Certainly Mayweather is among today's most famous boxer. with that said, I doubt 10% of sports fans would be able to identify his picture.

The attack was certainly racist, homophobic and anti-little people. I haven't hear much from any of the groups he attacked so far. Maybe they will respond down the road. I just think that boxing smack is so completely fake/calculated most don't really pay any attention to it, or give it much credence.

I can agree with this. I do think Mayweather and Pacman are recognizable to far more than 10% of sports fans though. Their HBO specials alone have generated a great deal of notoriety.

IMO, its a combination of quite a few different things.

1. Boxing doesn't have a commish or governing entity. Therefore a league or association cannot lose money or become shamed. Which actually makes for less of a story, given the lack of punishment or suspension.

2. Boxers routinely say stupid things, like you pointed out. Very few listen I suppose.

3. Hateful remarks are less of a story, if it isn't against whites and blacks. This is where the inconsistency lies. For whatever reason all the folks who get their panties in a bunch over idiotic remarks, seem to fall silent when it comes to certain groups. If Floyd goes on camera and starts throwing out cracker this and whitey that, rest assure its all over the news.

It's not exactly a thrilling topic but i find it interesting.

I can agree with this. I do think Mayweather and Pacman are recognizable to far more than 10% of sports fans though. Their HBO specials alone have generated a great deal of notoriety.

IMO, its a combination of quite a few different things.

1. Boxing doesn't have a commish or governing entity. Therefore a league or association cannot lose money or become shamed. Which actually makes for less of a story, given the lack of punishment or suspension.

2. Boxers routinely say stupid things, like you pointed out. Very few listen I suppose.

3. Hateful remarks are less of a story, if it isn't against whites and blacks. This is where the inconsistency lies. For whatever reason all the folks who get their panties in a bunch over idiotic remarks, seem to fall silent when it comes to certain groups. If Floyd goes on camera and starts throwing out cracker this and whitey that, rest assure its all over the news.

It's not exactly a thrilling topic but i find it interesting.

We may be the only two.

I thought about #1 after I posted and think that makes quite a difference, too.

We may be the only two.

I thought about #1 after I posted and think that makes quite a difference, too.

Then again Dean, i just heard mention of Mayweather's video on ESPN. :ph34r: It might be picking up steam slowly.

Truthfully, the remarks are over the top but likely to make Floyd money. This thing looks to be exactly what you speculated and makes boxing look more and more like the WWF everyday.

This is just another example of why boxing is dying. It's a shame because it's a sport that should flourish without much effort. Watching two great fighters go back and forth in a championship bout used to be a unique experience. To me it was the most compelling sporting event you could enjoy. Really good fights can be had still but they are far and few between. The mixed martial art stuff is alright but it doesn't hold a candle to a great boxing match.

Then again Dean, i just heard mention of Mayweather's video on ESPN. :ph34r: It might be picking up steam slowly.

Truthfully, the remarks are over the top but likely to make Floyd money. This thing looks to be exactly what you speculated and makes boxing look more and more like the WWF everyday.

This is just another example of why boxing is dying. It's a shame because it's a sport that should flourish without much effort. Watching two great fighters go back and forth in a championship bout used to be a unique experience. To me it was the most compelling sporting event you could enjoy. Really good fights can be had still but they are far and few between. The mixed martial art stuff is alright but it doesn't hold a candle to a great boxing match.

I'm with you all the way here, Pile. When does Don King show up to steal half the cash?

kitty Boy Floyd is the worst thing boxing has going for it. He's a great athlete who was trained from birth by professionals. Too bad the guy has no balls or class. He's been ducking Manny and anyone else who might be able to beat him forever. He's made a name beating up over the hill guys who USED to be somebody.

He outpointed Oscar in a snoozefest long after Oscar had faded from dominance.

He beat a 38 year old Shane Mosely.

He squeaked by Jose Luis Castillo.

His only other notable win was over a fading Ricky Hatton.

Now he's ducking what could be his signature win. He's a B word.

I grew up a huge boxing fan but it's tough for me to enjoy it anymore. I suppose some of it has to do with guys like Mayweather and his antics but mostly it's because of the effects it has on the fighters. Watching the UFC put subtitles under James Toney during his interviews because his speech is slurred beyond recognition was a good example. The fact that Toney is 5 years YOUNGER than Randy Couture made me cringe.