What starting positions are still up for grabs?

Since starters typically play the entire first half and in some cases part of the 3rd quarter in the 3rd preseason game, and typically play only a small portion of the final preseason game, the game this week will likely decide whatever starting jobs are still open. For the purposes of this discussion, I'm thinking about "who is going to be the starter on opening day", not "who is going to be the starter if/when everyone is healthy".

QB - I'm guessing Trent will play at least a quarter, but Brohm might get some reps with the first unit as well. It's either that or Gailey announces that Trent has won the starting job before the game even starts, and he gets all of the first team reps. I'm guessing the former.

WR - Chad Jackson will probably split 1st team reps with Steve Johnson. I'm putting my money on Jackson.

TE - Unfortunately, last man standing wins this job. :(

OL - doesn't appear to be any real competition here. If everyone had been healthy for the entire camp, Meredith might have been able to push Green. But since he's had to take most of his reps at LT, I don't see how the coaching staff can seriously evaluate how he hypothetically would perform at RT compared to Green.

WOLB - with Torbor possibly unable to go on opening day, looks like it's between Coleman and Maybin for this spot. I noticed Coleman getting some 1st team reps in the last game on 1st and 2nd down. I'm guessing that was after Torbor got hurt, and also guessing that's how it's going to be on opening day, assuming Torbor can't go.

SOLB - The coaches appear to be impressed with Ellis. Looks like he might have a chance to take this job from Kelsay.

CB - looks like it's going to start out this season the same way last season ended. Florence is the starter, and when they go nickel or dime, McKelvin plays the outside and Florence moves inside.

Returners - looks like they're going to start the season with McKelvin KR and Parrish PR. With the injuries at RB, they need Spiller to focus on that position for now.

Since starters typically play the entire first half and in some cases part of the 3rd quarter in the 3rd preseason game, and typically play only a small portion of the final preseason game, the game this week will likely decide whatever starting jobs are still open. For the purposes of this discussion, I'm thinking about "who is going to be the starter on opening day", not "who is going to be the starter if/when everyone is healthy".

QB - I'm guessing Trent will play at least a quarter, but Brohm might get some reps with the first unit as well. It's either that or Gailey announces that Trent has won the starting job before the game even starts, and he gets all of the first team reps. I'm guessing the former.

WR - Chad Jackson will probably split 1st team reps with Steve Johnson. I'm putting my money on Jackson.

OL - doesn't appear to be any real competition here. If everyone had been healthy for the entire camp, Meredith might have been able to push Green. But since he's had to take most of his reps at LT, I don't see how the coaching staff can seriously evaluate how he hypothetically would perform at RT compared to Green.

WOLB - with Torbor possibly unable to go on opening day, looks like it's between Coleman and Maybin for this spot. I noticed Coleman getting some 1st team reps in the last game on 1st and 2nd down. I'm guessing that was after Torbor got hurt, and also guessing that's how it's going to be on opening day, assuming Torbor can't go.

SOLB - The coaches appear to be impressed with Ellis. Looks like he might have a chance to take this job from Kelsay.

CB - looks like it's going to start out this season the same way last season ended. Florence is the starter, and when they go nickel or dime, McKelvin plays the outside and Florence moves inside.

Returners - looks like they're going to start the season with McKelvin KR and Parrish PR. With the injuries at RB, they need Spiller to focus on that position for now.

QB - Well with our QB situation ... unless Trent reverts back to the Washington game it is still his position to lose ... Brohm may be headed to #2 and Fitz to the unemployment lines.

WR - I am still in Stevie Johnson's camp and don't think he has done anything to lose the official starting position but I think we will see several players in the mix during the games with Parrish definitely established as the slot receiver. I was really hoping for Easley but now he can be Rookie of the Year next season. Roosevelt has as real shot at making this team!

TE - I have no problem at all with Stupar being crowned the winner of the tight end battle. I hate to see the competition dwindle so quickly and am very curious what the cause of Nelson's suspension is since he is saying it had nothing to do with illegal drugs. Perhaps was it related to the migraines he was suffering last year?

OL - I agree with you on Meredith over Green but Gailey wants to have his starting five playing together and unless Green makes a total fool out of himself in these last two preseason games it looks like the line is set. I REALLY LIKE what I saw from Bell this past week ... all the naysayers need to take a deep breath because if this kid is healthy we should do just fine on the left side of the line with Levitre and Bell.

WOLB - I would love to see Coleman step up ... Torbor was better than I had expected but based on his college work Coleman can be a monster here ... when opportunity knocks open the door. I just can't see Maybe in the starting line up but then again ... gasp ... he was a Number One pick and should be able to start in his second year.

SOLB - A true competition ... will be interesting to see who gets the starting nod this week. Kelsay's injury took him a step back ... and haven't heard a word from Chan about him while he has been praising Ellis' progress.

CB - McKelvin's game has been moved up a notch and he just may have moved into the starting slot although I think we will see a lot of nickle this season so all 3 will be playing.

You obviously left out the DL, which looks really solid ... the safeties where there are not any options to consider with Byrd out ... I just want to see a strong ST unit established so we stop seeing these returns.

So LET's GO BILLS!!!

I'm thinking I'd take Chad Jackson and maybe even David Nelson over Stevie. Stevie's good, but these other guys have played really well.

I'm thinking QB may technically still be open, but it's pretty obvious who Coach Gailey likes.

Edited by reddogblitz

the fact that your list is so long tells the whole story of how this years team will do.

the fact that your list is so long tells the whole story of how this years team will do.

Thats what happens when you have a new O, new D and new ST. Looking for the right combination takes time.

QB - Trent's job to lose

WR - Steve Johnson's to lose - Jackson isn't going to get up to #2 - he'll be the 4th.

OL - Has been set since Gailey took over and Meredith has looked like a 5th round pick who got cut

JLB - I don't think either Maybin or Coleman are more than pass rushers at this point, so I would expect to see Ellis start on this side until Torbor comes back with Maybin/Coleman spelling in passing situations

SLB - Kelsey starts only because Ellis will be playing the Jack position week 1 in place of Torbor. He'll be starting at SLB by the end of the year

TE - too bad, but looks like Schouman gets cut and Stupar starts week 1