Rushing the passer...

sharper802

The median number of sacks last year for a team was 34. Let's say for argument sake you get 4 times as many QB pressures as you do sacks. That would make 34 + 136 = 170 significant pass rushing plays a season. The median number of pass attempts was 543.

That means that on more than 2/3 of the pass plays the QB is likely not hurried, knocked down, or sacked. It also equates to just about ten times a game does a player on defense harass or sack the QB.

What I am trying to say here is just because Maybin gets blocked by the LT on most plays does not yet make him a bust.

Give the kid(arguably the youngest starting OLB in the NFL) a chance to play and grow into the position. He will get blocked. They all get blocked. Was he a poor choice last year to play DE? Yes there is no doubt of that now. He wasn't ready and probably never would have been able to play DE in the NFL. But there is no denying his speed. With experience lets hope he learns a counter move and proper angles to the QB. For now can we just give him more than one game at OLB???

The median number of sacks last year for a team was 34. Let's say for argument sake you get 4 times as many QB pressures as you do sacks. That would make 34 + 136 = 170 significant pass rushing plays a season. The median number of pass attempts was 543.

That means that on more than 2/3 of the pass plays the QB is likely not hurried, knocked down, or sacked. It also equates to just about ten times a game does a player on defense harass or sack the QB.

What I am trying to say here is just because Maybin gets blocked by the LT on most plays does not yet make him a bust.

Give the kid(arguably the youngest starting OLB in the NFL) a chance to play and grow into the position. He will get blocked. They all get blocked. Was he a poor choice last year to play DE? Yes there is no doubt of that now. He wasn't ready and probably never would have been able to play DE in the NFL. But there is no denying his speed. With experience lets hope he learns a counter move and proper angles to the QB. For now can we just give him more than one game at OLB???

Dude, the kid screamed bust in college, and has shown nothering at the NFL level that would make you think otherwaise. If you want me to wait another 2 years to call him a bust then fine. But here is me foreshadowing.... HE IS A BUST.

Again you get no arguement from me that he was not the right choice last year. After the incompetent move to trade Peters they should have drafted an O-line or a true LB to get rid of Ellison once and for all.

That being said he has played one preseason game at OLB. I highly doubt they called DeMarcus Ware a bust after one preseason game at OLB.