Work in progress

The defense is new, and we should expect that it will be awful in preseason. Going3-4 when you have the personnel for a 4-3 is going to be traumatic, maybe for a whole season. It is no surprise it would be a nightmare the first game of preseason. Let's give them the preseason to develop and start whining and gnashing our teeth if it doesn't show great improvement in the regular season.

Offensive should not be a surprise to anyone who has watched our personnel moves all year. The offensive line is the weakest spot on the team and qb isn't too far behind. The saving grace, if we can somehow create an offensive line is going to be our running game. Run the ball, eat the clock get an occassional score and count on the defense.

Special teams will develop under a new coach, seems to have some good players such as Youbooty, Nelson, and a bag of returners.

I'm disappointed in the penalties even for a rebuilding team. We have to work on that fast and often.

Bad show, Buffalo. We expect better even in preseason.

The defense is new, and we should expect that it will be awful in preseason. Going3-4 when you have the personnel for a 4-3 is going to be traumatic, maybe for a whole season. It is no surprise it would be a nightmare the first game of preseason. Let's give them the preseason to develop and start whining and gnashing our teeth if it doesn't show great improvement in the regular season.

Offensive should not be a surprise to anyone who has watched our personnel moves all year. The offensive line is the weakest spot on the team and qb isn't too far behind. The saving grace, if we can somehow create an offensive line is going to be our running game. Run the ball, eat the clock get an occassional score and count on the defense.

Special teams will develop under a new coach, seems to have some good players such as Youbooty, Nelson, and a bag of returners.

I'm disappointed in the penalties even for a rebuilding team. We have to work on that fast and often.

I agree, and am not discouraged. 3 starting OL out, Poz was out, our RBs got dinged up, and Corner and McGee had a bad night. Really bad night. Let's see if we can get Trent a little more time against the Colts with some of our OL back.

I'm also a little confused as to Donte's role with the TE -- it seemed like the middle of the field was too wide open yesterday.

The defense is new, and we should expect that it will be awful in preseason.

The defense sucks and we should expect that it will be awful in the regular season too.

Special teams has carried this team but it looks like that era may be coming to an end unless they were playing possum last night.

With the teams we play the first half of the season, I would expect we will be sucky for a bit past the beginning of the season (maybe up to the bye). That said; young teams like this, if there is any talent, do better the second half of the season. That of course is if we don't have an other boat load of key injuries (and actually do have any talent).

How the heck can you not be discouraged? I know its the first preseason game and all. I am one of the most pessimistic guys on here and I am very upset and discouraged. I wasn't expecting miracles but what I saw was flat out embarrassing. I almost wanted to cry. WOW, I never thought we would be that bad. It was like a recurring nightmare.

I'm not discouraged, and actually think that the starting D- considering we were without Poz, Kelsay, etc- played much stronger against the run, and was much stouter at the point of attack that we might be better.

I'm terribly frustrated with the drafting of Aaron Maybin, and if he was cut it would not disappoint me in the least. He was simply man-handled by a rookie LT, then was severely abused by the 'Skins 2nd team RB's and offensive line on every play. He did not show life until the 3rd unit came in.

I'm excited about the play of RB's Chad Simpson and J. Bell, and think that maybe Marshawn might be a good bait to use for a trade to acquire a solid LT.

I liked the play of WR's Donald Jones and Nelson. Nelson looked sweet on that TD, and on a couple of passes. But a bad night for WR Chad Jackson.

We need to be scouring the waiver wire until the start of the season. Our second team depth on defense was destroyed by the Redskins second teamers. The defensive secondary- our supposed strength- was embarrassed last night. And we have no pass rush. Losing Schobel is not going to help.

How the heck can you not be discouraged? I know its the first preseason game and all. I am one of the most pessimistic guys on here and I am very upset and discouraged. I wasn't expecting miracles but what I saw was flat out embarrassing. I almost wanted to cry. WOW, I never thought we would be that bad. It was like a recurring nightmare.

I felt the same way overall.

The few bright spots- for me- come from individual players (none of which were with the Bills last year).

Chad Simpson and J. Bell looked awesome. HEck, Chad Simpson was fierce! Donald Jones and Nelson at WR look good. QB Levi Brown, in his brief appearance, showed some swagger and confidence that I have not seen since Kelly- and I like the way he throws and delivers the football. Bills that were on the team last year in Jamon Meredith played reasonably well at LT. Drayton Florence was getting good pressure on those extra point kicks the way the Bills special teams used to under DeHaven. The 1st team run defense looks better, and more solid at the point of attack. The offensive line was not terrible.

But boy, does Maybin suck! And our second team defense was owned. What happened to the secondary? We have absolutely NO pass rush.

Funny how the Redskins are in the same situation as the Bills... new HC and staff... changing scheme form a 4-3 to a 3-4...new offensive scheme. Yet one team looked so much better then the other...

Yes, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the season.

I have, on more than one occasion on these boards, pointed to how similar these 2 franchises have been this decade. But this past offseason will be an interesting point of separation.

Washington went big-time, as Snyder usually does. They got a proven GM in Allen. One of the top 3 coaches available in Shanahan. Went out and traded for a RT, and drafted a starting LT with their 1st round pick. They traded for McNabb- who, ironically, turned down a better offer from the Bills. They were shrewd in the free agent market compared to years past. They have a plan.

Buffalo went nickel-and-dime, as Wilson usually does. Nix has been around, and I believe in him and that he will finally turn the Bills around. But we did nothing to address the offensive line. Our LT position is still a weakness 2 seasons after Peters was traded away. We were spurned by Shanahan and Gruden, could not get Cowher, and were left to table scraps when we got Chan Gailey. I like his approach, and believe in him too. But it was hardly a premiere signing. We did nothing to address the QB vacuum, and as I mentioned earlier McNabb chose the 'Skins over us. Jeff Garcia is still out there, but we seem uninterested in his proven track record of success. We have done nothing to improve our pass rush, as Maybin is a colossal bust at this point and Schobel has now retired.

The Bills really need to be actively talking with teams about trades (Simpson and Bell make Lynch expendable), and attacking the waiver wire all year long.

It will be interesting to see how these 2 teams perform this season, and see which one is better and improved themselves the most.