Cigar Smokers

5 Wide

So i have had one here or there, but by no means am I a cigar smoker. I am looking at this combo kit for my dad for his birthday and wanted some feedback if this is a quality choice...... the price seems pretty good when I shopped around

http://www.stogieboys.com/products/90%252d...mium-Combo.html

The cigars in there are all pretty decent. I think pops would enjoy that.

That is a hell of a deal though. For those cigars you are averaging $3.50 a cigar, and you get a small humidor in the process. For the money you are spending, you are getting a lot more value than the 70 bucks.

Pretty solid deal there 5 Wide. Great variety, good quality cigars, and a nice little humidor for 70 bucks. Hard to beat anywhere. Those vintage Rocky Patels are some nice smokes, and the 5 Vegas are good too.

The price is quite good for 20 decent cigars and a humidor (especially if the humidor is usable).

The cigar selections is a bit more subjective. For the most part, they aren't bad cigars. Some are actually fairly good for their style. The thing is, not many of these cigars are to my taste. I'd like some fine, use a few as cigars to smoke when nothing else is around and give the rest away. That isn't because the cigars aren't good. It's just that I tend to smoke maduro cigars and prefer fuller bodied cigars and Nicaraguan tobacco.

I guess the question you should get answered before you buy this is, "What does your Dad like to smoke?". Some people have a broad range of tastes and like different kinds of cigars at different times. Believe it or not, my taste in cigars is broader than a few guys I know. Some guys only like mild creamy cigars and some of these might be too strong, etc. Finally some only like the cigar they smoke and don't like to experiment.

I'm sure your Dad will like this even if he isn't crazy about some of the cigars in the package, but if you can get an idea of what he usually smokes and/or his favorite cigars, maybe we can find you an alternative that would make an even better gift.

Overall this is a great idea for a gift for a cigar smoker, IMO.

The price is quite good for 20 decent cigars and a humidor (especially if the humidor is usable).

The cigar selections is a bit more subjective. For the most part, they aren't bad cigars. Some are actually fairly good for their style. The thing is, not many of these cigars are to my taste. I'd like some fine, use a few as cigars to smoke when nothing else is around and give the rest away. That isn't because the cigars aren't good. It's just that I tend to smoke maduro cigars and prefer fuller bodied cigars and Nicaraguan tobacco.

I guess the question you should get answered before you buy this is, "What does your Dad like to smoke?". Some people have a broad range of tastes and like different kinds of cigars at different times. Believe it or not, my taste in cigars is broader than a few guys I know. Some guys only like mild creamy cigars and some of these might be too strong, etc. Finally some only like the cigar they smoke and don't like to experiment.

I'm sure your Dad will like this even if he isn't crazy about some of the cigars in the package, but if you can get an idea of what he usually smokes and/or his favorite cigars, maybe we can find you an alternative that would make an even better gift.

Good point Deano as cigar tastes are as varied as wine or beer tastes. Samplers like these can really help develop an individuals taste.

BTW, not to hijack your thread, but I just picked up a box of Nica Libre 1990's on cigars INTL for a nice price. Can't wait to break into them this weekend.

Great insight, I appreciate it. My old man has always been the i'll try anything once kinda guy. I know he prefers a bit mellower of a smoke, but I think he would enjoy the variety. I'll give you guys some feedback after he gets them this weekend. If its as good of a deal as you guys say, I might have to pick one up for myself too

Good point Deano as cigar tastes are as varied as wine or beer tastes. Samplers like these can really help develop an individuals taste.

BTW, not to hijack your thread, but I just picked up a box of Nica Libre 1990's on cigars INTL for a nice price. Can't wait to break into them this weekend.

I've only tried the Nica Libre 1990 once and thought it was quite good...especially for the price. Another great price performance cigar, IMO, is the Sanho Panza Double Maduro (l like the Cervantes). It is beautifully boxed pressed with a silky wrapper. At about $3.50/per it's hard to beat. I still prefer Padron of course, but sometimes a good budget cigar is in order.

Great insight, I appreciate it. My old man has always been the i'll try anything once kinda guy. I know he prefers a bit mellower of a smoke, but I think he would enjoy the variety. I'll give you guys some feedback after he gets them this weekend. If its as good of a deal as you guys say, I might have to pick one up for myself too

I think you are all set, then.

Looking forward to his reaction. I bet he will be thrilled.

I just had my first Nica Libre '90 this past weekend. Very impressed . . .

I've only tried the Nica Libre 1990 once and thought it was quite good...especially for the price. Another great price performance cigar, IMO, is the Sanho Panza Double Maduro (l like the Cervantes). It is beautifully boxed pressed with a silky wrapper. At about $3.50/per it's hard to beat. I still prefer Padron of course, but sometimes a good budget cigar is in order.

This thread invokes memories of my WNY goombas chewing on Parodi cigars. I hope they still are in business - I bought some here in SW OH five or so years ago.

This thread invokes memories of my WNY goombas chewing on Parodi cigars. I hope they still are in business - I bought some here in SW OH five or so years ago.

I'm happy to report Parodi and DeNobili are still available.

I probably haven't smoked one since I last left The Falls. In a pinch, and with a strong espresso, they do the job.

Thanks!

A memory jog - DeNobliis'

Both still in the cello pack, I assume.

I believe so.

I tell you what. These dried cigars might be ugly and they tend to smell bad, too. But they are 100% tobacco (unlike many of the drugstore cigars), fairly strong and don't need to be in a humidor. They are pretty good for a camping trip, or any road trip that is tough on real cigars. I also will use Backwoods Smokes for this purpose, but the Parodi/De Nobili style is much better, IMO. Then again, I'm an old WOP. What would you expect?